Borderlands 2 - Extra Class Coming as DLC,

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Kotaku reports from PAX that an additional class will be added to Borderlands 2 as post-release DLC. The "Mechromancer" will be available free for preorders, though it will be released to everyone around 60-90 days after the initial launch of the game:
In a panel at PAX East, Gearbox Software just revealed that Borderlands 2 will add a new class—the "Mechromancer" sometime after the game releases this October. The class is in the conceptual stages only and will be developed once the game goes into its certification stages later this year. Concept art for the character was shown during a Gearbox Software panel at PAX.
In other Borderland 2 news, Joystiq has a co-op preview.
More information.

LOL, wait, what? Free for pre-orders and free after 90 days. So basically it's trying to punish fans of the game that are waiting for a review before they put their money down?

And after 90 days and the impending price drop, who cares? You've fleeced the initial buyers enough by then?

Well, it's an innovative DLC strategy, I'll give them that. Though that definitely edges closer to the "wait for it to be on sale" group because I'm waiting for real reviews on this one. I enjoyed the original, but not enough to put down release money on the sequel sight unseen.

I'm a little skeptical of their claim that it's in the "conceptual stages" only. While that may be true, this is probably something they've been planning for awhile.

Adding an extra npc with DLC for party-based games like Mass Effect is one thing, but using it to withhold a character class in a game like Borderlands 2 is pure bullshit, imo.

They say it'll be released 60-90 days later. That doesn't mean released for free.

This is what EA did with BF3. Back to Karkand was free for pre-orders but $15 for everyone else when it came out a few months later.

They have a hard enough time making enough interesting skills for 4 characters; let's hope they dig deep for the fifth.

I cant stand these Big Budget releases. this looks like the most interesting class of them all. Thank the gaming gods for Indies.

The original article was misleading. They updated it with this:

"To clarify confusion regarding our original wording, while preorders will receive the Mechromancer for free, the content will release to all players at the same time. That date is not set but a Gearbox representative said it would be 60 to 90 days after the game releases."

So it will be a paid post-release DLC for non-preorder customer and a free post-release DLC for preorder customers. It will release at the same time for everyone. Odds are it will be on sale during the holiday sale as well. I know I got burned pre-ordering the original Borderlands due to that.

Back
Top Bottom