Dragon Age 2 - Quick Look at Giant Bomb

Honestly, I don't understand how you can like ME and not DA:O.

I can easily understand why someone might like one and not the other. Obvious cliches aside, the 2 games are very different. With Mass Effect, Bioware finally gave the genre something that it had lacked for a long time, an RPG in a true Sci-Fi setting. It appeals to the casual RPG fan who is also a Sci-Fi nut.

I can easily understand why someone might like one and not the other. Obvious cliches aside, the 2 games are very different. With Mass Effect, Bioware finally gave the genre something that it had lacked for a long time, an RPG in a true Sci-Fi setting. It appeals to the casual RPG fan who is also a Sci-Fi nut.

I don't know, I'm a traditional RPG fan but I enjoyed the first Mass Effect and even the second to a degree (wasn't very happy about the over the top streamlining, but it was still enjoyable when looking at it as not an RPG). But you're probably still right because I mostly loved the sci-fi setting and sadly there aren't a whole lot of options for Sci-Fi RPGs.

Couchpotato:

I just noticed you're in Chicago. Me too. I'm downtown in Printer's Row, just south of the Loop. Where are you?

Look, no hard feelings. My point is that there are games that exist that aren't whatever your particular definition of "true RPG" is. And sometimes they're fun.

And about the dialog wheel again- The cinematic style practically needs it. Does this mean I think it's perfect? No. But for instance in Dragon Age 1, the dialog would go on between characters, cutting back and forth. Then suddenly there's a wole bunch of text to choose from a list at the bottom. There's a long awkward pause while you read each option. In the meantime your character is standing like a dummy staring into space. Pick an option and the scene continues. It was farcical.

Again, do I think it's the best thing since a twenty-sided die? No. But it worked to move the scenes along. And again again again… look back on the old games and the so called awesome dialog lists they had. They sucked in their own way.

You know- one more thing. Bioware was ripped on by fans of "true RPGs" back in the 90s when they came out with Baldur's Gate, because it was viewed that they were trying to cash in on the Diablo craze by making the turn-based nature optional (with optional pause feature). This same argument has been going on as to what is a "true RPG" since Gary Gygax decided it would be more fun to have a magic system implemented in his tabletop miniature medieval battle campaigns.

No offense taken. It just amazes me when a company simplifys a game the majority of fans are okay it. Then every game after that one continues the downward path and people still support it. I see it on the bio-forums and other sites with people saying they don't mind. I would like to know when these people started playing rpgs,and why they are fine with the direction other company s beside bioware are taking. If you don't voice you opinion and simply roll over the problem will just get worse. I live west of the city on 47th St.

Last edited:

Good point, the sci-fi setting in and of itself might be enough to offset everything else for some - heck I love me some good sci-fi too(it was enough to make the game enjoyable just not in the sense of an RPG). Though it doesn't validate his criticisms when they could be mirrored for ME.

Disgusting DLC shenanigans, overall trying to please, oh-so-slick-but-predictable dialogue. Combat that nearly got it - but didn`t really. Tedious enemies.

Speaking of DLC, ME2 is getting an alternate appearance pack 2!

Well it looked good to me. The graphics are technically pretty bad, but the design seemed good to me for the most part. Maybe the PC version will look better too.

Gameplay seemed good to me... same Dragon Age combat, just faster.

I have enjoyed every PC Bioware game I have played, I have enjoyed them each a whole lot including Dragon Age (I have also greatly enjoyed CRPGs back in the 1980s and 1990s). I don't care to even look at a clip of DA2 because that wouldn't have one bit of influence on me until the game is released. Once the game is released then I'd be interested in others' views but until then it's just speculation or watching a meaningless clip. It is funny to read people writing off a game just based upon a clip or a quote from a developer before a game is released.

I have enjoyed every PC Bioware game I have played, I have enjoyed them each a whole lot including Dragon Age (I have also greatly enjoyed CRPGs back in the 1980s and 1990s). I don't care to even look at a clip of DA2 because that wouldn't have one bit of influence on me until the game is released. Once the game is released then I'd be interested in others' views but until then it's just speculation or watching a meaningless clip. It is funny to read people writing off a game just based upon a clip or a quote from a developer before a game is released.

Giantbomb's "quick looks" are pretty good though as they show straight-up unedited gameplay. The original quick look for Dragon Age: Origins pretty much sold me on the game (though I probably would have bought it anyway).

That said this is a quick look "road show" which is more of a promotional piece where the developer plays the game and the giantbomb guys just watch.

Well, I was pretty unimpressed, too.

But...

I was unimpressed by the console versions of DA1, too. And I ended up liking the PC version quite alot.

From the mini clips of the combat on the PC I think I may end up liking the game again. I don't like the art design and the low poly models, but I give them credit for trying something new.

I don't want to be mistaken: I don't want DA2 to be like ME2. But I don't have a clear indication of this being the case on PC. So, let's wait and see...

How the heck does a game try to be good - or bad for that matter? If you meant to say "epic" I could understand, and perhaps even agree… Ultimately that's irrelevant, if you're(the greater RPG community) that tough to please I can't fault Biowhore for moving onto greener pastures.

"Game" is of course an abstract concept. So was my, perhaps lame, analogy/metaphor/whatever. What I meant by "not allowed" is that it could be a great game, but due to stretched production and/or internal Bioware politics it turned out not that great. For me.

I took (slight) offence because it was marketed as an unexpected revival of the more old school of design, where party based tactical combat is king. What I `ve got was neither fish nor fowl, with disjointed design and too many niggles.

I`m not that "tough to please" which is why I had fun with other (post NWN) Bioware titles…they never pretended anything and I never expected them to be anything but slick productions.

Interestingly, Mr.Laidlaw seems not to be able to shut up and says even more crazy things here :)

^ Fair enough, perhaps I overreacted/read a little too much into it. :blush:

I can agree it wasn't great, but by comparison(to what we've seen of DA2 or ME2) I found it a better RPG experience. Maybe the inclusion of certain mods helped too(I can't recall playing through a vanilla install)?

Back
Top Bottom