Wasteland 2 - Lets Play Video @ Eurogamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer has a new video of the beta version of Wastelands 2. As usual a spoiler warning is required, and you have been warned.

Wasteland 2 is in the hands of the public! At the moment those hands belong to people who backed the game on Kickstarter, but later today (13th December) they'll belong to anyone who wants to pay for Steam Early Access. Bertie managed to sneak his way into the beta yesterday and capture his first forays into the post-apocalyptic world that Brian Fargo's inXile has built..
More information.

"Tested" the beta - and I was impressed. Think it will be a good game and I'm definitely buying it :)

Fair enough :)

I only played 20-30 minutes to confirm it'd be for me - and it was :)

That said, I'm NOT impressed by the UI - which is both ugly and needlessly elaborate/clunky. I'm sure it will be improved, but I'm not seeing it ever being great.

Thankfully, the rest of the game was just up my alley.

Can you say "movie rights"?

That said, I'm NOT impressed by the UI - which is both ugly and needlessly elaborate/clunky. I'm sure it will be improved, but I'm not seeing it ever being great.

Damn - had thought the UI looked pretty good from early demos - isn't it reconfigurable?

They said it was one of the major points they wanted to improve during beta, especially the inventory and character creation UI's. The gameplay UI is alright by me.

Damn - had thought the UI looked pretty good from early demos - isn't it reconfigurable?

Yes, but I didn't mess around with that. I don't think it can fix the general opaque nature and layout. I used to be a pretty hardcore gamer, so it's no big deal to me - but I can see it as a big turn-off to some people.

It's just that it takes a lot of fiddling around for minor stuff - like using items correctly from inventory and the like. I also happen to think it's butt ugly - but it might just be a deliberate style that I'm not falling for.

That said, it does have some relatively slick "sounds" and sliding stuff - so it's not completely rough or anything.

I'd just say it was designed with incompetence by a non-UI person.

Fallout 1 and 2 were better - and they share the same functionality, more or less.

it's not completely rough or anything.
I'd just say it was designed with incompetence by a non-UI person.
:lol:

Rough = unfinished - and it seems they've worked a lot on it, they just don't really know what they're doing :)

Looks a wee bit clunky, but other than that it seems interesting.

Unfortunately RPGs have had tortuous inventory management UIs since their inception most often with insufficient space for the amount of stuff you need to carry and poor sorting, stacking etc, necessitating constant trips back to town and reorganisation. That's something that really sucks IMOP. This is one area that MMOs have solved pretty well, whether you like them or not for other reasons. In particular, the inventory UI (and configuration UI) for Guild Wars 2 are awesome. Wish everyone would just copy that.

Back
Top Bottom