RPGWatch - Worlds of Magic Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
We had the chance to interview Leszek Lisowski of Wastelands Interactive about his new Masters of Magic inspired game called Worlds of Magic.
Couchpotato: Your kickstarter game, Worlds of Magic, was funded over two years ago. Can you share any lessons you have learned during the campaign?

Leszek Lisowski: Two years are like eternity for Kickstarter, but what I have learned is that if you are not extremely lucky, there is a very, very hard work to be done and it is better for you to have some good friends among press members. Of course on one side we have got projects like exploding kittens or star citizen and on the other some fake scam of low quality. But regular projects fit just between those. General hints I can recommend are:

Be professional – there is nothing worse like making a feeling that you don’t really care about the project and that you have got no idea if you are able to complete it or how to do it.

Be transparent – tell directly about your own and your teammates skills. Don’t try to hide your cons, if you feel that you need extra money in your budget, just for case of something, tell this.

Be devoted – make sure you really want to spend your whole time just to finalize the project. People will feel this.

Make good videos and provide good descriptions – this is something what makes the first impression when people finally land on your page. Now you just need to grab them and persuade them to trust you.

Be honest – think about the project and ask yourself about the project before launching it. It is sometimes better to show it to 10 people and eventually improve or change the design, rather than wasting a month with an unsuccessful campaign.

Be realistic – calculate the needed funds wisely. Check how much you need to spend for various things, including payment fees, taxes, etc.
More information.

Last edited:
Just a plug for the game: I am playing the early access (EA) of this game and loving it. However it is definitely still in beta, and if you don't like contributing to a game, or working around a couple of bugs, then wait for the release.

The developers are really approachable, and listen very well to beta feedback.

This has been my best experience in EA so far.

Good to hear. Almost backed this one but didn't, because I don't have enough time to play AoW3 and Fallen Enchantress. But I'll probably get this one, too. I love the genre, and it does look nice and old schooly.

Also encouraged to hear the company's founder is from somewhere east of the old Iron Curtain. I think some of the most interesting games come out of Russia and Eastern Europe. I'm always encouraged when I hear developers hail from that part of the globe.

I have lots of love for Master of Magic and I hope this game delivers. I plan to buy it eventually once devs have finished patching it and improving it.

I will ad my voice to this one.....haven't had a lot of time to play but it is pretty cool.

I backed this one, but I don't play EA so waiting for March (more like April, as I wait for the mandatory first couple of patches).

I backed this one, but I don't play EA so waiting for March (more like April, as I wait for the mandatory first couple of patches).

That's why I haven't played it much...just a pop in every now and then to see improvements.

Back
Top Bottom