PC Games of the Decade @ SMH

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A short list this time, with Aussie newspaper site the Sydney Morning Herald presenting their PC Games of the Decade. Deus Ex, Diablo and Baldur's Gate II get nods. Interestingly, they think the BG "formula" has since been bettered by "many an epic RPG":
4. Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2001)
Some still claim this as the PC’s greatest role-playing game, though it would be fair to say that the Baldur’s Gate formula has since been bettered by many an epic RPG. Games like Dragon Age: Origins still owe much to this party-based romp, with its stat-heavy D&D core, companion sub-plots and entertaining dialogue.
More information.

"though it would be fair to say that the Baldur’s Gate formula has since been bettered by many an epic RPG."

I disagree.

Other games may have bested BG II in one area or another but AS A WHOLE, Baldur's Gate II is still possibly the greatest PC RPG ever made.

It doesn't have the best writing, combat, story, characters, mechanics, music or graphics but it is quite possibly the most winning combination of all these ingredients.

It does ONE thing in particular better than most though: it is actually EPIC.
The equivalent of the Lords Of The Rings!

I find it funny that they would make that claim, and then fail to give any examples..

I'm pleasantly surprised at their choice for #1 though, I fully expected it to be WoW or The Sims.

That was my thought as well ... OK, other than hinting at Dragon Age, which I say still needs several months to truly air out and get a more objective viewing, what else has 'bettered' BG2?

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't even say that the BG recipe has been used a lot. Who has used it? What games did they make using that recipe? Have I missed out on that many epic party RPGs?

I can't even think of more than a handful of games that are similar, none of which are superior to BG1/2.

Back
Top Bottom