PC Gamer - Best RPGs of All Time

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PC Gamer is the next site to release a list of the Best RPGs of All Time.

The best RPGs of all time

The role-playing game is the cornerstone of PC gaming. Long before shooters or real-time strategy, the earliest PC developers replicated their tabletop RPGs on the PC, building sprawling adventures filled with orcs and wizards and foul dungeons. Those early games slowly built on their tabletop origins, and RPGs eventually became so popular, their elements spread to other genres. Here are our 25 favorites: the RPGs we’d tell anyone to play right now.

Our Criteria

Whenever we sit down to argue our way through a list of the best games, our first step is deciding what “best” even means. In this case, we’re identifying which RPGs are fun right now. Games age; they’re products of the technology they were built on, and the technology that seemed cutting edge 25 years ago may be junk today.

We value fun more than the historical significance of a game, and doing so helps us build a list that recommends what’s great today rather than publishing a popularity contest. But we don’t ignore a game’s impact completely—innovation and influence just has a lesser weight under our criteria.

The RPG genre is tough to boil down: by the most literal definition, every game is a role-playing game. This list represents our best definition of the canonical RPG—games that emphasize story; that let you inhabit a customizable character through skill points, inventory, and dialogue decisions; that include complex, controllable relationships with companions or non-playable characters. That leaves flexibility in how the game is controlled, what perspective it uses, or what setting it takes place in. Games such as Borderlands 2 or BioShock include some of those elements, but are better defined as shooters. Drawing these kinds of lines helps us provide a better service to you, we hope.
Thank you Thrasher and Kordanor for the link.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

South Park, really??? :S While I've heard it's a decent indecent game, does it really qualify as one of "the best RPGs of all time???" I'm guessing the author never played any of these gems:

Wizardry 8
Betrayal at Krondor
Might & Magic 3
Lands of Lore
Dungeon Master
Eye of the Beholder
The Summoning
Final Fantasy 7
… just to name a few off the top of my head.

However, I can't argue too much with the list, although I would've reordered them.
1) U7 2) UU 3) FO 4) P:T 5) W8 …

Good list except for Southpark, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, Mass Effect 2.
These are barely CRPGs…

And Vindicator is right they are missing a lot of good old stuff.

Torchlight?

That list is a joke, I'm not reading more and won't remember any of it.
I mean yes it's fun. But cmon. Which RPG isn't. And this is supposed to be 25 that rule them all. Right.

"We value fun more than the historical significance of a game"

Sounds good to me, but is it more fun because of the RPG elements, or because of the funny writing, or some other aspect that has nothing to do with it being an RPG?

Thrasher if fun factor was their true criteria they would never skip Betrayal at Krondor.

I bet it was "we value MAINSTREAM more than...".

joxer, we could ask Corwin to ban people that never played Betrayal at Krondor from RPGWatch, until they can proof that they finished it :)
What do you think?

PS:
Corwin is a big Raymond E. Feist fan...

Okay - as an alternative I can see the complete Geneforge series in your Steam - account - just play through it in let's say 400 hours ;)

ROTFL

Now let's be real, Krondor today… After you get spoiled with all the fancy graphics in games…
But back then? It was my game of the century. And it's not on the list for god's sakes. How's that even possible? Who made that list? Oh I know, someone who plays Diablo3 for years now.

No need for bans. Instead, we need someone to keep everything intact just "modernize" gfx and sounds in Krondor. It doesn't even have to be the same map/world system, just look nice and keep the combat system (read: puzzles!) and skills instact. And no bloody phonegames inventory style!
Is Unity complicated to learn?

No need to learn Unity, just the D: OS Editor...

I wasn't old enough to play with PC when you guys were playing Betrayal at krondor :p and I'm now at age working hard to earn money, it's possible the author of the article is around my age too :p

But purple when you do a list like this you should do some research and try games mentioned elsewhere, especially on sites concentrated on RPGs.

Hidden, I don't think battleground system would be possible to reconstruct with D:OS editor, but hell if I know. The map and skills, definetly, would be awsome. Just not sure about combat and that's something that should be intact even if everything else is changed.

I wasn't old enough to play with PC when you guys were playing Betrayal at krondor :p and I'm now at age working hard to earn money, it's possible the author of the article is around my age too :p

Is this a nice way to say "Joxer and HiddenX are Old Boys, Golden-Agers, Elderly Persons, Ol' Geezers, Zombies …?" :)

@Joxer
Simulating Betrayal at Krondor combat with D:OS should be easy. It's turn based and works with an internal grid.

Last edited:
The reason for these lists is to create a ton of ad income. Look at all the article comments. Longest set I can remember. Maybe the codex invaded.

The reason for these lists is to create a ton of ad income. Look at all the article comments. Longest set I can remember. Maybe the codex invaded.

They would complain that Arcanum is missing, Fallout 2 should be replaced with Fallout 1 and a CRPG top list without Wizardry 7 is invalid.

They would complain that Arcanum is missing, Fallout 2 should be replaced with Fallout 1 and a CRPG top list without Wizardry 7 is invalid.

That sounds like the comments on GameFAQs about it.

On a side note, researching BaK is totally different than actually having played it when it came out. There have been tons of little quality of life improvements over the years that make getting into some older games harder for people who didn't grow up with them.

No need for bans. Instead, we need someone to keep everything intact just "modernize" gfx and sounds in Krondor. It doesn't even have to be the same map/world system, just look nice and keep the combat system (read: puzzles!) and skills instact. And no bloody phonegames inventory style!
Is Unity complicated to learn?

I'd be happy if they could just re-release BaK in a higher resolution. No need to change anything else. Just make it so I can see something other than giant pixels. :)

Back
Top Bottom