Gothic 3 Which Gothic game was your favorite?

Which Gothic was your favorite?

• Total voters
Looking at the graph state and weighing up the nomographic projection (using a straight edge along the tips of results) if a G4 should ever be released, then going along with the current trend flow suggests it would not even show on the popularity scale!

.....i sincerely hope i'm wrong. :'(

Wulf, regarding your first post, all I can say is you are HARD CORE!! I can't imagine trying to go through Gothic with all those different methods, especially the fist/kick fighting only.

Incidentally, I remember the first time an unarmed NPC attacked me. When I saw him fly through the air kung fu style I about peed my pants laughing with glee! What a game Gothic was!

That being said, I actually voted for Gothic 2 (and that's including NOTR of course).
To me it's such a close call that it basically came down to technicalities. The graphics and controls (strafing and single click to use items) were better in G2. The music was better, the characters (aside from Mud) were just as memorable. I also appreciated the greater diversity of the landscape. Although after Wulf's post reminding me about Chromanin and all that, I almost regret not voting for G1. Speaking of which Obi Wulf Kenobi, do you really think there is more to Chromanin than what everyone has found? ....

It's really too bad that G3 strayed from the formula. As it has been said many times before, it's still unquestionably "Gothic," but lacks the spark the first two games had. At the same time, I remember thinking the same thing about the vanilla version of Gothic 2. Then NOTR came out, (in German...grrrhh... nevertheless made do) and it catapulted G2 into first place in my "order of appreciation for Gothic games."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the same thing is still possible with Gothic 3....

Well Jabbs' - Rordog (also a chromanin seeker) at rpgdot was also inspired and attempted the same kickfighting approach and with *no* magics, an almost impossibility to overcome the G1 opponents (fanatic templars) without weapons.
Mazu, also at rpgdot also completed the 'Mud kills the sleeper' experiment. Also Imposteraz, pioneer of the 'followers' tecnique, (also a chromanin seeker) perfected the followers exp' to nameless's attributes tecnique - amongs others.

What many G1 fans perhaps didn't realise, especially when discussing attributes and leveling exp etc' was the actual *level* attribute, each opponent assesses the other's level when in 'hostile' combat mode to see if they have a 'chance' of outperforming, this is why we would sometimes see the opponent in a stance to attack yet not actually attack. On editing my level to 300 or more and in the new camp as i stood near to rogues or merc's they would run away in fear without any interaction.

On reading the many forums posts in the past, i found mostly that a players first gothic game experience greatly influences their preferred gothic liking. Players who who hadn't tried G1 before playing G2, liked G2 mostly, conversely players who progressed naturally through the trilogy said that G1 was the godfather, this is understandable.

So now while playing G3, and (because of finding the G1 chromanin old man) can see the strong referrences to G1 at many points within the game (the portal of Innos being a good example). This isn't some fanboy fanaticism but more of a gaming foresight of understanding the gamewriters motives, it is in someways like G1 revisited, and indeed this is what KaiRo promised and has kept his word.......and i am somewhat gagged on talking about the subject....such a great gaming shame....and that is where my heart lies grieved, i am sad for the gaming worlds loss. The hidden beauty of G1 was rebuked by forum orcish disbelief, although i did try in a fumbled kind of way to explain what i had found.

It is that "unknowing" yet "being aware of" element contained in G1 that many feel is real, this is ironic because it *is* still there.
Yes i found what Xardas's extra dialogue says! - yes i found where the secret trigger-box is located! - yes i found where the data is held-off until required! - yes i found which graphic items are in-game and used! - such a masterpiece of incomplete realisation, unequalled by any other rpg game of it's fanbase following in the world and i was left alone with all of this.

"Chromanin's visions HAVE opened my eyes. No price could be high enough to ever renounce my faith in them, for it touched my heart too intensely" - (book 2)

So in respect of this hidden element, it is as yet impossible to say which is the "deepest" G1 or G3 until some player solves the suggestion 'overtone' contained within the books.

"Yes i found what Xardas's extra dialogue says! - yes i found where the secret trigger-box is located! - yes i found where the data is held-off until required! - yes i found which graphic items are in-game and used"

Well don't just stand there, tell me how to find them!

I have to rank G3 the lowest :( Not a single quest or NPC left much of an imprint on my memory. But I can tell you that Grim, leader of Wolf Clan share the same name with one of diggers in G2... need I say more.

I played gothic 2 first and was blown away by it . Usually in RPGs you do not meet high level characters/monsters at the beginning of the game. Not so in the gothic series - this gave the game an element of danger - you didnt know what was around the corner. I think gothic 2 and the add on is the best RPG I have ever played and I have palyed RPGs from ultima VI onwards. I palyed the original gothic several years later - it was hard to get hold of in the UK until recently. I really enjoyed it but I think that gothic 2 and the add on have a slight edge on it - for the greater richness of the game world - and the increase in challenge in getting through it. I have played once through gothic 3 (orginally on a Athlon 1900+ and 6600GT - played to level 17 on that system- then moved to dual core 6700 and 7900GT). The bugs didnt affect me too much - a few restarts of the computer but I am very forgiving as far as buggy games are concerned - as long as saved games are OK. I really enjoyed the open game world and the graphics. I wasnt too bothered about the wild boars - there are always ways round problems with tough monsters - one thing that the gothic series excels in. I enjoyed the challenge of the game at the beginning but as you go through it in my opinion it gets too easy and the ending is a big let down compared to the other two games so I would have to rate gothic 3 as the weakest game of the three. Lets hope that the add on is better - I will of course snap it up as soon as it comes out. I would say that all three games are better than Oblivion - in my opinion the Elder Scrolls games are too repetitive - I didnt finish Oblivion it was far too easy - I could destroy any opponent easily - no challenge at all and far too repetitive.

I think G2 (especially with NotR) is the best.
G1 has some very strong points, I still remember the first time I played through the orc cemetery. I was still looking around and saving because I was absolutely sure that at some point those mummies would come alife. But overall I think G2 is better.

G3 is a rough diamond. With an addon and an improved engine it will be a blast. I'm enjoying the game more and more, but I think it's a shame that many opportunities weren't used.
For example: I've just freed Gotha for the first time and finished the "quest" to rebuild Gotha. Why didn't they do anything with the appearance of Gotha? The city is rebuild but it still looks the same. And why aren't there any quests to do in the new city, why aren't the rebels and freed slaves in the city praising my deeds, etc. That's just too bad.

G2 certainly - i was not so fond of Raven though
Land, quests, combat, in comparison with G3 bugfree, chars, little surprises, big surprises :) etc.
Hardcore game when playing as merc - too easy as pally
I just loved it in almost every aspect - it was a miracle
Anyways i still cannot believe what PB guys did to G3 :p - my DVD here collecting dust

i agree with that rough diamond thing youve said
things i need improved upon in order to play
Combat (problems regarding stamina mostly) - no i do not care that PB wanted to make combat mainstream-friendly - just make it work :)
Running (please make it so i cannot run from everything) - sry PB thats bullshit
Monster and NPC fading (how can i hunt a deer when it just vanishes into nothingness a few meters away?) - i can live with that :)

Back
Top Bottom