Mass Effect 3 - EAs Origin Required - both for single and multiplayer

From what I heard, it was removed because of how the game manage the DLCs (i.e. people don't have to buy them from Steam to have them when their game come from Steam).

That can't be the sole reason. Else why would they continue to sell Mass Effect 2 on Steam?

That can't be the sole reason. Else why would they continue to sell Mass Effect 2 on Steam?

/shrug

Steam changed the policies in 2011, it's possible that games made before that are exempted of the rule.

Its all about money thats all. Steam wants a unfied system and a cut of the dlc profits. EA wants control of there own dlc and more of the profits.

Lets not forget Origin. That factors into the problem also. Neither side is blameless but most blame EA.:greedy:

Last edited:
I dont see the difference.

Digital distributor is all alike. The fact that steam is dangerously close to monoploy should be warning enough (and the fact that you have to have their massive client running in the background).

Origin might not be good, but giving more power and defacto monopoly to steam can´t be good in the long run for us, the end users.

I use, Steam, GoG and gamersgate.
If its possible, I use the last two, since i dont have to have a client hogging my resources when I play.

C

@Ovenall, thats opinion, not fact and BTW i disagree :)

So.. one time activation, limitless number of activations, default offline mode, no additional application required to run the game. What was the drawback compared to Steam again?

I already have an Origins account due to Star Wars: The Old Republic, so for me this deal seems better than Steam.

I think the real issue is being touched on but not exactly hit dead center. It's less about the need for multiple competitive services (Good!) and more about the possible balkanization as each publisher becomes a self-contained store (Bad!). I think it's awful that in the future I'd have to have an individual customer account and resident "minder" masquerading as a download service for each publisher. This eliminates the pleasantness and convenience of being able to go to one source (my choice of source).

Analogy: You buy your food not from a supermarket or even a farmer's market, but have a standing contract from each food maker. So for your bread, meat, vegetables, sauces, dairy, and other things you must have a relationship and keep track of each supplier, something that the store used to do for you, making it more convenient.

2nd analogy: You watch movies at the theaters own by their respective makers. So you go to the Disney theater, the Sony theater, and so on rather than have most or all your shows in one convenient place.

3rd analogy: You buy your books from each publisher, not a central shop like Amazon or Barnes and Noble (or some European equivalent).

The supermarket/retailer concept is something that exists for a reason: it provides a real service and convenience to the customer for a price. Sometimes that price is passed to the customer; sometimes that price is passed to the manufacturer.

I dont see the difference.

Origin might not be good, but giving more power and defacto monopoly to steam can´t be good in the long run for us, the end users.

I use, Steam, GoG and gamersgate.
If its possible, I use the last two, since i dont have to have a client hogging my resources when I play.

I've use Steam, GoG, Gamersgate and Impulse (haven't bought much from Impulse since they changed owners though), and I've also bought games directly from a lot of developers (Eschalon, Mount & Blade, Minecraft, Kenshi, TrackMania etc). For me it's not about being pro Steam, but being anti origin.

When you spend a lot of money on your account, you don't want to risk the service provider closing the account - and with it your access for every game you've bought - for something you write on a forum. And you don't want the service provider to monitor everything you have on your computer.

There is also the DLC-hell that comes with everything from Bioware these days, which also feels like exploiting their customers.

So ME3 is a no go for me...

To continue in the same vein as Bedwyr above me did; what if you needed a SONY TV to watch SONY DVDs, a Philips TV to watch Philips DVDs, or a General Electric TV for Watching Bluray movies….on Bluray that is….

On the other hand, once upon a time, at least in Denmark, you would buy your books from the publisher as the publisher had their own book store, you had a grocery store, a baker, a butcher, and so on where you would go to buy your shopping for the day or the next day or two.

The point here is that I too do not want a cluttered tray with all kinds of services running, hogging my system resources….

I think the real issue is being touched on but not exactly hit dead center. It's less about the need for multiple competitive services (Good!) and more about the possible balkanization as each publisher becomes a self-contained store (Bad!). I think it's awful that in the future I'd have to have an individual customer account and resident "minder" masquerading as a download service for each publisher. This eliminates the pleasantness and convenience of being able to go to one source (my choice of source).

Analogy: You buy your food not from a supermarket or even a farmer's market, but have a standing contract from each food maker. So for your bread, meat, vegetables, sauces, dairy, and other things you must have a relationship and keep track of each supplier, something that the store used to do for you, making it more convenient.

2nd analogy: You watch movies at the theaters own by their respective makers. So you go to the Disney theater, the Sony theater, and so on rather than have most or all your shows in one convenient place.

3rd analogy: You buy your books from each publisher, not a central shop like Amazon or Barnes and Noble (or some European equivalent).

The supermarket/retailer concept is something that exists for a reason: it provides a real service and convenience to the customer for a price. Sometimes that price is passed to the customer; sometimes that price is passed to the manufacturer.

This is a great analogy.

However, in order for EA to expand the Origin install base and get to a position where it can realistically compete with Steam, it will be necessary to release some exclusive titles and offer demos and freebies only via Origin, etc.

Valve has the first-mover advantage and an overwhelming share of the market. The install base was jump started by Valve buying out the World Opponent Network and requiring Steam for games that previously used this network as well as for Valve's own games.

The point here is that I too do not want a cluttered tray with all kinds of services running, hogging my system resources….
What's that got to do with anything? So far my Origin games don't need origin to be running in the background to play, and even Steam doesn't stay in the tray - it loads when I launch the game then I exit it and it goes away.

And RAM is abundant anyway :p

What's that got to do with anything? So far my Origin games don't need origin to be running in the background to play, and even Steam doesn't stay in the tray - it loads when I launch the game then I exit it and it goes away.

And RAM is abundant anyway :p

It wont need the client for now. Eventually It will be going the steam route. Right now there jusy getting people on the service till they switch. Time will prove me right.

Services don't show in the system tray.

What kind of computer do you have that you can't run more than one thing at a time? Time to upgrade. It's not the 90s anymore. :p

What kind of computer do you have that you can't run more than one thing at a time? Time to upgrade. It's not the 90s anymore. :p

I would love to see a game that can actually make use of more than 2-3GB of RAM. I have 16 of them and it's really only useful for things like Photoshop, motion graphics and video editing stuff.

Yes - similar to multi-threading. Only very few games and applications actually use that.

Most are still single-CPU oriented.

Yes - similar to multi-threading. Only very few games and applications actually use that.

Most are still single-CPU oriented.

Actually, now it's more game only support 2 cores. If you have a single core or 3+ cores processor you might end up with more bugs or performance problems.

Okay, I admit that twocores are more common nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom