RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2012 Awards

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Like previous years we ask you to vote for your game of last year. And as usual we focus on Role Playing Games, although the lists might contain games that are not considered to be role playing games by some or even most. The games you can vote for are made up of games we reported about and thus are in our database, so actually this is the RPGWatch Game from our Database of the Year 2012 Awards, but that title was too long.
That said our database might be flawed. If you feel a game is missing in the contest select 'Other' and enter the name of that game in the edit box.
The last day you can vote is Sunday the 13th of January (CET).
More information.

Voted.
It was harder than last year when I didn't have to think.

Okay, #1 for me was no brainer, there is a game I've already replayed because it was fun, and in my case it was Risen 2.

#2 was not that easy as there are a few on the list that should go on that place, but I've put XCOM - although it's not really RPG, it was more fun than I've expected, I got Civ5 gratis when I bought it and next DLC will be free - sorry but if IGN reviewers are bought with cash, I was bought with those "bonuses", the only difference is that I don't lie when I say it's a great game.

#3 was again no brainer, without much explaining it's Grimrock. But again #4 I didn't know what to say, except that I think Tome was (is) a disaster. After pondering pros and cons I've voted for Telepath RPG. Why? Because it's flash game which means - dart can't play it on iPad mini. Yes, that's the only reason. I voted for a game just because it can't be played on all smartphones as I find that a positive and brave move. Not because it's unbelievably good or something.

#5 was so hard I can't even explain. I actually can't wait for almost all games on that list. The misfortune continues on #6. So I've closed my eyes, pointed the screen, and turns out I'm eager to see TDE: Demonicon and Nuclear Union. That's true. It's also true that I'm eager to see almost all of them too, but… Well… Can't pick more than a couple. :(

#7 another no brainer, it's Meriwether. Dunno why but I've fallen in love with that game just from the KS presentation. #8 is Legends of Dawn, I'm not really unpatient to play it, I just want to nitpick and spam on it's official forum where I can go bitching in my own language. :D

I voted on Amalur as best game, though that was mostly from a lack of choice. There just wasn't any AAA games that stood out last year. I really played Skyrim more than anything else in 2012.

Voted for ME3 and Risen 2, despite their flaws. As for 2013 - it's as bad as I suspected. This will be the year of replaying for me. Already started by replaying NWN1, and then I'll probably do AP or maybe NWN2. Time will tell.

I won't vote because the ones I payed on the list that I liked even I with my loose definition of RPG I don't consider as RPGs (Dishonored, Jagged Alliance). The one RPG on the list that I played was, frankly, terrible (Krater).

Thinking back I guess most of the RPGing this past year was Skyrim and Divine Divinity II.

Personally I feel that 2011 was better for RPGs than 2012.There are lot of games in 2013 I am anticipating it has potential to be best gaming year in last decade.

I'm curious why is TOME a disaster?

I voted GOT #1 and farcry 3 #2,while I wouldn't call it an rpg it's just as much of an rpg as dishonored and more than borderlands 2 which are on the list. IMO.

This was hard. I had to select ME3 for best RPG, because it was the less consolized in the list that I played *cry*.

I find it quite interested that 2013 is going to have ~3x the number of indie games. I'm also only interested in the Larian's games for 2013. Can we really put Larian in the AAA category though, now that they are self-funded?

I voted GOT #1 and farcry 3 #2,while I wouldn't call it an rpg it's just as much of an rpg as dishonored and more than borderlands 2 which are on the list. IMO.

Yeah it was really difficult for me because the best games I played this year were on the "not really an RPG" list as far as I define it. Kind of shocking to find myself enjoying this year's first-person stealth/action games like Dishonored and Farcry 3 more than most of the RPGs. I ended up torn between Risen 2 (which was the best new actual RPG I played this year) and Farcry 3 (which, despite its flaws and my hate of FPSs, was the game I had the most actual fun with).

Mine went for King's Bounty because I haven't played XCom yet.

I'm not sure why the entries are being separated into Indie and regular (AAA?) categories. Legends of Grimrock I would put at the top of the list for favourite RPG last year.

It seems to be that most of the best RPGs are now Indie's, although with Kickstarter it might redefine what an Indie Game is and create a new xategory ie. Self Published.
I voted for Driftmoon as my second favorite RPG for 2012 as I've been on the beta team and been playing it most of the year.
It appears that 2013 is going to be a very good year for RPGs.

PC Gamer just presented their game of the year award to… Mass Effect 3.

They argued that the greatly disparaged ending did not outweigh the overall positive merits of the game.

Game of Thrones, Of Orcs and Men, Legend of Grimrock, None, Dragon Commander, Shadowrun Returns, Path of Exile, None.

Ummm, I played exactly one of those. Legends of Grimrock is missing from the list. So should I vote for ME3 as game of the year? :/ Perhaps I should recuse myself.

Last edited:
PC Gamer just presented their game of the year award to… Mass Effect 3.

They argued that the greatly disparaged ending did not outweigh the overall positive merits of the game.

Getting though the last part repeatedly was tedious as hell if you wanted to see the three different endings.

they weren't so bad even though none of them were happily ever after for Shepard.

Last edited:
I voted XCOM:EU and Risen 2. But felt uncomfortable with my choice, because XCOM - c'mon, it's not really a RPG an ontopic here, is it?
Indie: Grimrock. Looking forward: EB III, Underrail.

Holy crap - there weren't a lot of non-indie RPGs published this year, was there? Most of the ones on the list I wouldn't even count as an RPG. I mean, I totally LOVED Borderlands 2 - but I really just consider it a shooter with leveling. Which is highly enjoyable and addictive, granted, but ... dang. And X-COM? Loved it, too. But I wouldn't consider it an RPG.

Thank heaven for the indies. That's all I can say.

Back
Top Bottom