The SWTOR thread

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello,

I just figured that there might be a few SWTOR players amongst us "RPGWatchers".

Therefore I just opened/created this thread for general SWTOR chat.

My fist question to everyone playing it is : What do you think about the current state of SWTOR ?
And what do you think about this "Starfighter" expansion ?

Alrik

Current state of SWTOR = better than launch and quite stable and playable.

Unfortunately, they've abandoned Ilum and meaningful world PvP along with it.

They don't seem to have the resources to develop additional class stories - and it's almost a given that such a thing will never happen, so the best part of the game is pretty much dead.

The PvP is quite fun if you're into instanced stuff with little or no meaning in the actual "world" outside the warzones or arenas.

Space combat remains a joke.

The Starfighter expansion sounds pretty good, but unfortunately - it's PvP only and not at all the free-roaming space segment I was hoping for.

Ultimately, it's a fine themepark to play through with the classes you enjoy - but I don't see it ever becoming a "long-term" game for me.

When I look at the space combat, it vaguely reminded me of ... what was that Microsoft game ? Starlancer ? - in which you had to control everything by mouse. Horrible, if you ask me.

But, yet I got somehow, somewhat accustomed to this mouse-controlled space combat in SWTOR.

Too bad that there aren't any bigger flight sims which use the joystick out there anymore ...

What the SWTOR community disturbs most, is, that the space combat expansion will be PvP-only. A lot of people in the rather PvE-oriented forum parts don't like that.

One of the best leveling experiences I've had playing an MMO but the limited amount of class specific quests wasn't enough to inspire me to run multiple characters to cap. I also wasn't impressed with PvP or Raids.

Not super familiar with the new expansion, as soon as I sounded PvP oriented I lost interest. Plenty of places to get my PvP fix besides MMOs.

I enjoyed my time with it and I occasionally pop in and mess around for a bit now that it's F2P but not a long term fix for me either.

When I look at the space combat, it vaguely reminded me of … what was that Microsoft game ? Starlancer ? - in which you had to control everything by mouse. Horrible, if you ask me.
Close. You're thinking of Freelancer. Weird controls aside, it wasn't a bad game.

Actually, he's probably thinking of Starlancer, which is mission based. I don't remember if the navigation was mouse controlled though, but I do know it was an option in Freelancer.

Anyway, I still enjoy TOR quite a lot really, but it's mainly for the questing and levelling. In fact, I haven't raided in quite a while in TOR. I still feel the levelling experience is the best there is in an MMO though, which explains why I have 9x level 50+ characters by now, and three incoming. I need to buy more character slots soon.

As for the space combat expansion. Not really sure what to make of it yet. I'm not a big fan of space sim games, I usually only enjoy them if I can roam somewhat freely like in Freelancer and Dark Star One.

Close. You're thinking of Freelancer. Weird controls aside, it wasn't a bad game.

Well, I was so much used to the joystick I just couldn't think of any replacement for it.

Last spring I started dipping my toes into MMOs again after writing them off long ago, and after trying LOTRO and then DDO, I tried SWTOR and found it to be the place I stuck around longest.

The dedicated class missions sucked me in pretty good, and I like how I can enjoy myself during short casual play-sessions, as well as longer sessions where I knock out heroic missions or flashpoints. Public grouping is easy and generally stress-free (at least in leveling content...haven't tried any end-game Operations yet).

I also think it's the most viable f2p game to play without a subscription, because of the Unlocks that are sold on the auction house. I bought account-wide artifact usage for about 400,000 credits in the auction house, and that normally sells for around $18 on the cash shop. I know SWTOR gets knocked for its heavy restriction on free players, but by spending about 10 bucks up front, I got everything I needed to enjoy the game while leveling (like full crew skills and an extra hotbar), and by the time I hit 50 I had bought everything else I need on the auction house like artifact usage, extra cargo space, guild bank access, etc. The main limitation is the credit cap, but now that you can transfer credits from your escrow account for a couple bucks here and there, I'm not too worried about it. Certainly cheaper than $15/month, and I feel like I actually own a game instead of renting it.

What servers do folks play on? I'm on Bergeron Colony, if I'm remembering the name right. I only have one character, who's at lvl 51 and still taking his time to wrap up the Chapter 3 class mission (having a new son arrive a couple months ago kinda put a damper in my playtime, but fortunately I can come back anytime and not worry about a subscription! Count me among those who actually kinda like the recent f2p trend...).

Nothing against SWTOR, but what was it about DDO you didn't like? I MUCH prefer it to SWTOR as a group game and the SP elements I'd rate fairly equal.

DDO was ok, but I came across several annoying quirks early on.

* I was always short on bag space. I soon found out that if I could get enough approval with one faction I could buy more, however I ran out of missions I could do for them on my own.

* I never got the hang of the grouping system. It felt wrong to jump in on somebody's group when it was formed a while ago, and I guess I just didn't know what the proper etiquette was.

* I didn't like how many of the items I was collecting could be turned in to NPCs for stuff, and when I went there I discovered that the things I could get for my junk were kind of crappy, and if you wanted the really good stuff then you needed a completely different kind of crystal which I think you had to buy with real money.

* I tried getting involved in crafting, but I didn't like how I had to spend so much time running to the one crafting station in the entire world. This is also related to lack of bag space. After each quest I'd need to dump stuff, but I wanted to decompose it to boost my crafting skill, and was spending more time in item management than adventuring.

* The random assembly of quests, and the act of deciding what to do by simply looking at a laundry list, just didn't hold my interest that long.

I liked the combat and gameplay, but I found that my annoyance factor was always higher than it needed to be. Between the 3 MMOs I tried, this was the one that I didn't throw a few bucks at to get to a premium status, and maybe that would've made a difference.

Item collecting has been changed considerably in the past. You get different stuff now for "junk".

By the way, last Sunday night I did 1 match of the new "Galactic Starfdighter" expansion on the PTS. Be aware of being plastered with information. Right now, the learning curve is pretty steep.

It seems to be bugged right now as well, but it's also sort of fun - apart from the fact that I didn't quite understand the controls yet - it's like Freelancer / Starlancer, and that means : Without a joystick.

Fantasm, not only have there been a few changes recently with DDO, but the grouping issue is easily solved. If you play on Khyber, we have our own Guild where you can play with people from here. It's rare that someone isn't available, depending on where you live. Check out the DDO thread in this forum and most especially the Team Corwin thread in OT!!

One comment on warriors wielding two swords :

I did have an instance where one of my teammates tossed a sith smashmonkey the Huttball, but said smashmonkey was much too preoccupied with flagellating his double lightphalluses on someone to actually, you know, play Huttball, all the while he's being baited like an epileptic fish by someone who understood that to keep him busy means the ball doesn't advance towards the goal line

Anyone having that "early access", too ? Impressions ?

Are the PVP Space fights already implemented? Are they worth it? Do have to reactivate my account to take a look?

AFAIK, it's available to subscribers only at this point. Not entirely sure, though.

They're lots of fun ! At least for me. ;)

I'm not really a subscriber; I'm using a "platime card" always - but I'm content with that. :) And it acts as if you were a subscriber, as well. ;)

The "learning curve" is quite steep, though. you've got to do the tutorial several times if you've never done such a thing before !

The Second Rakghul Event has begun. Details on the Fleet.

There is no real official announcement so far - but if you use the dev tracker, then you can find several hints towards it.

Back
Top Bottom