Enemies that make you stop playing

Already mentioned:
End boss in Risen.
End boss/fight in Shadowrun

Deep Roads in DA:O were so boring that I had to quit the game for a while. Darkspawn… yawn. Worst enemy concept in a game. Also why does a lot of games have to use the "ancient evil reawakened"? DA:O would have been much better without it.
I was very dissapointed in SR:R that all the sudden in the endgame you are confronted with a tacked on "ancient evil" plot. Yawn-fest.

Recently, I quit playing Arkham Asylum at the very end - simply because I'd lost interest and the boss fights were extremely repetitive at that point.
Did you do the bit in the hallway full of goons with party hats on? As far as I'm concerned, THAT was the real final battle. I should have just watched the rest on YouTube after that point. (It WAS good story-wise so it's worth YouTubing.)

Deep Roads in DA:O were so boring that I had to quit the game for a while. Darkspawn… yawn. Worst enemy concept in a game. Also why does a lot of games have to use the "ancient evil reawakened"? DA:O would have been much better without it.
I was very dissapointed in SR:R that all the sudden in the endgame you are confronted with a tacked on "ancient evil" plot. Yawn-fest.

I hated Deep Roads as well.

Also, I'm surprised that nobody really bothered BioWare about the plot, it was essentially the exact same thing as Mass Effect. The player is a part of a small group of ultra-elite warriors who must defend civilization from an ancient threat that arises once every so often. The ancient evil can twist the normal "good" races into evil minions. The government wants no part of the ancient evil, so it is up to the player to deal with it. I mean, they might as well have named it Dragon Effect: Mass Origins.

Yeah, 'cos no-one had done anything like that before Mass Effect? Battling an ancient evil that subverts its enemies - how stunningly original. ;)

Haha, well, yeah. It's already a fairly common plot but between the two flagship, original IPs that BioWare developed, they were far too similar. That was further compounded by the minor plot elements like the specters/grey wardens, blind galactic council/blind king (or whatever he was, I don't remember anymore), etc.

Yeah, you're right.

Developers need to finally accept that "saving the world/universe from an ancient evil" is not a storyline, it's a (boring, instantly forgettable) backdrop against which you could set a story. Though ME and DAO were better than most in that much of the game was focussed on the smaller, often character-driven aspects of the story.

It's actually quite a bit deeper than that, if you know the full background. I admit that the game does a rather poor job at fully explaining what's going on (though then again, at that point in the universe's timeline, only the dragons really knew). They did by the way hint at what was going on in EarthDawn, even if Catalyst (and Microsoft) don't have the rights to that classic FASA title.

I've never quit a game based on annoying enemies, but there are some enemies that frustrated me whenever I would fight them.

The one that comes to mind is the most recent game I've spent time with, Oblivion. In Oblivion, goblins are the worst! I believe the strongest were shamans and warlords, and man, no matter how high a level you were or what weapon you were using, they took a million hits to kill. Very annoying.

In Skyrim, fighting ancient dragons was a bit annoying in town, because it took me a long time to realize that you could run out of town and have the dragon follow you. It took me a good while of fighting the dragon while it was only landing on rooftops (and I was no marksman), while the dragon torched everyone in the town, killing most everyone. Finally I discovered that if I ran out of town where there were no buildings to land on, I could finally take the dragon on without all those casualties and frustrations. And the funny thing is, it took me FOREVER to figure this out. I was fighting this one dragon for about 20 minutes of pure annoyance before finally figuring it out.

I don't really get frustrated easily, though. I usually quit games because I simply burn out from playing them, rather than some challenge in the game forcing me to quit.

In Skyrim, fighting ancient dragons was a bit annoying in town
Lucky you. I don't remember a dragon in any town. Most were (of course, endlessly) respawning in mage's guild on me.

Did you do the bit in the hallway full of goons with party hats on? As far as I'm concerned, THAT was the real final battle. I should have just watched the rest on YouTube after that point. (It WAS good story-wise so it's worth YouTubing.)

Yeah, that big hallway with several of the BIG dudes and lots of small ones?

That was exactly the one that made me realise I couldn't stand it anymore :)

It came soon after a very similar fight as well as the Poison Ivy fight - IRRC. I was just tired of it by then....

The Poison Ivy fight was standard boss "gamey" rubbish. But the goons in party hats fight was brilliant. It was the proper test of if you'd grasped the combat system, which is an utter joy (hint: you've got far more time than you might think, so plan your moves carefully and look for the signals about who's going to attack next. Definitely don't mash "attack!" ) . That was the section where I finally got the x40 combo achievement.

The Poison Ivy fight was standard boss "gamey" rubbish. But the goons in party hats fight was brilliant. It was the proper test of if you'd grasped the combat system, which is an utter joy (hint: you've got far more time than you might think, so plan your moves carefully and look for the signals about who's going to attack next. Definitely don't mash "attack!" ) . That was the section where I finally got the x40 combo achievement.

It wasn't about challenge - as I beat that fight in 4-5 tries on the hardest difficulty. It just took too long and at that point, it felt like needless filler before the end. It was just a copy of a recent fight with more enemies. Not very interesting to me.

I suppose if you really love fighting the same enemies over and over again, it's a joy - but I felt it was redundant at that point. I had more or less mastered the fight system - though I concede I didn't have perfect timing or anything. I just wasn't invested enough for that.

Then again, the game ultimately wasn't for me. I'm not really into cartoon heroes - and I'm not big on games that consist of 50% achievement-like "discoveries".

Most modern console games have started using that instead of real content. Like Assassin's Creed 2 - which was exactly the same "find 20 feathers" and get a little reward. It's like they want to double playtime without actually doing any work on content. If games are huge and expansive, I think that kind of thing is cool and all - but having it be such a big part of the entire experience is a sad way to keep players hooked.

I guess it's working, though.

It just had a particularly superb atmosphere - and the initial stages seemed to promise a game full of story and exploration. In the end, I found the game to peak early - and slowly devolve into endless fighting with less and less story/exploration of note.

Sure, the fight's easy to beat. But challenge lies in beating the 20 goons without getting hit at all or breaking your flow. The the combat system's really strategic and fluid. That was the best place I found to really flex your abilities.

I tend to agree about the needless collectables, and Assassin's Creed's feathers are a prime example. But Batman's collectables where far more interesting, many involving some kind of riddle/puzzle or rewarding with background story.

I stop playing when to many windfall-enemies (German: Fallobst) are in the game:
Example: Sacred 2

Sure, the fight's easy to beat. But challenge lies in beating the 20 goons without getting hit at all or breaking your flow. The the combat system's really strategic and fluid. That was the best place I found to really flex your abilities.

Yes, the combat system was good and elegant - but it takes more than combat to keep me entertained, unfortunately.

Then again, I didn't go for perfect execution - because I had all the cool toys by then. I don't get excited by big numbers if I don't really get anything out of it :)

I tend to agree about the needless collectables, and Assassin's Creed's feathers are a prime example. But Batman's collectables where far more interesting, many involving some kind of riddle/puzzle or rewarding with background story.

It's true that some of it was pretty cool - but it's really just tiny bits of story that doesn't fit all that well together.

Unlike games like System Shock and Bioshock, I didn't feel the logs "belonged" and they felt mostly like incidental bits of interviews that didn't tie into the story much at all.

Better than nothing, sure, but not enough to make me excited about exploration.

Exploration was not as strong as I thought it would be.

Not a bad game - just not that good either.

I wouldn't say I've ever quit due to enemies but some enemies have made me think of doing so sometimes. Dragon Age 2 is the prime offender here. Its end bosses aren't hard, just tedious and they've been given huge health bars to make matters worst. The fights just boil down to using your most powerful abilities.

Dragon Age: Origins also suffered the same slightly with the archdemon. It was the high dragon battle all over again but it just had higher health.

Morrowind was full of these type of enemies - cliff racers. It doesn't help that the game has a horrible combat system. Christ, those creatures were annoying and to add insult to injury they even make a god-awful noise just to p*** you off.

Neverwinter Night's first expansion had enemies at the end which were ****ing annoying. Skeletal devourers. They were immune to most of your attacks and dazed you. It doesn't help that you encounter them in groups during the end section.

Dark Souls had these type of enemies in the Tomb of Giants. The "Giant Skeleton Dogs" and their rage attack (in which they lash out with a flurry of blows dealing heavy damage).

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen on hard mode...EXECUTIONERS. After beating the first form of the main boss for the expansion you will encounter these mini-bosses in group. If you get hit down they can perform their finisher on you which instantly kills you no matter your armor stats or level. They have actually made me reload saves where I strategically deal with them one by one but sometimes I've been forced to fight several at once. It doesn't help that they have high stagger resistance (the only thing next to freezing them that can interrupt their instant kill attack which they can perform on you or your companions).

Also Death, he instant kills your companions which has forced me to reload several times. It doesn't help killing him because he pops up again, which is to be expected really, he is DEATH. He's easy enough to fight but the pawns are too stupid to dodge his SLOW attacks and thus almost always die to him.

Dragon Age: Origins also suffered the same slightly with the archdemon. It was the high dragon battle all over again but it just had higher health.

To put it more cynically, it was no demon at all. It was truly a Dragon - just renamed. ;)

I quit the Witcher 2 over the Chapter 2 boss. That game frequently annoyed me with the bizarre difficulty spikes. That and I suppose that I didn't really care about the story, unlike the first game.

I wish I had a good story about enemies that made me quit a game, but it's never happened. Always figured out a way to make it work. I have to say that figuring out some of the boss battles on the harder difficulties of Painkiller was pretty damn challenging, though! I also give a nod to the boss at the end of chapter 1 of the Witcher.

Back
Top Bottom