Elder Scrolls Online - Will Require A Subscription

I've bought a few lifetime subscriptions in my time - and though they're expensive, they're worth it just because I don't have to think about paying to try it again.

LOTRO is probably the best example of this. I think I paid 150$ or something for it - and I keep getting points with which I can buy the expansions. So, I have that game and all the content forever. That's a nice feeling.

Exactly. Not to mention, hardcore progression raiding is basically a job in itself.

You should try maintaining top DPS position on the horde side for 2 years straight :)

We're talking 4-8 hours playing each and every day - and then 2-4 hours of reading and studying mechanics on forums.

It was the experience that taught me that you can have 1000 people sound like experts - but out of those 1000 people, maybe 1 or 2 actually know what they're talking about :)

You should try maintaining top DPS position on the horde side for 2 years straight :)

We're talking 4-8 hours playing each and every day - and then 2-4 hours of reading and studying mechanics on forums.

It was the experience that taught me that you can have 1000 people sound like experts - but out of those 1000 people, maybe 1 or 2 actually know what they're talking about :)

I know exactly what's that like (cept from a tank pov). Anything besides server first kills were considered a failure. 8 hour raid days, 5 days a week till new content was on farm. It just gets worse when you wind up as an officer/RL. Seen a couple people do both the GL & RL spots in progression guilds. That was a handful in more casual guilds, I would never want to try it at that level.

I know exactly what's that like (cept from a tank pov). Anything besides server first kills were considered a failure. 8 hour raid days, 5 days a week till new content was on farm. It just gets worse when you wind up as an officer/RL. Seen a couple people do both the GL & RL spots in progression guilds. That was a handful in more casual guilds, I would never want to try it at that level.

That... that's just crazy O_O

Yeah - I know it all too well.

Thankfully, I never cared THAT much about loot or raid progress - I just wanted to be the best Rogue I could be.

I ultimately quit largely because of drama queens and people who took the game WAY too seriously.

It may sound strange, but I was never invested in the game as something more than a way to pass the time and have a good time.

Well, not entirely true - I did get quite obsessed with DPS - but I never felt it was important to anyone but myself.

Some people truly believed themselves special and entitled because of something their character achieved in a computer game…. Scary!

That… that's just crazy O_O

Hehe…

For 1.5 years - I raided Molten Core for 4-5 hours every day (except lockout after finally beating it all) - hoping to get my hands on Thunderfury - which was a legendary sword in WoW.

I got everything except the last binding.

So, we're talking at least 1500 hours trying to get an item in a computer game - and I never got it ;)

Playing Rogue and obsessing about being top DPS meant that you couldn't take your eyes off the screen for a single second (unless you just wiped) - or you'd lose DPS. It certainly kept you awake!

That said, I'm glad I didn't - because The Burning Crusade expansion came out soon after stopping MC - and they reset gear, making Thunderfury into a useless novelty.

Learned a lesson about MMO design and loot that day!

Man, I don't know if I should bow in admiration, shake my head in confusion, or feel sorry... But it does put your tenactiy as a forum poster into perspective :D

Man, I don't know if I should bow in admiration, shake my head in confusion, or feel sorry… But it does put your tenactiy as a forum poster into perspective :D

There's nothing to admire - so the last two are probably more appropriate :)

I won't deny that it took effort to play on that level, but when you spend your every waking hour trying to maintain it - it'd be profoundly sad if you had nothing to show for it.

I spend some serious time in Farcry 2 and 3 and L4D 1 & 2 > 600 hours each.
I solved the difficult achievements in L4D, and was a top 20 player in Farcry 2 and a top 50 in Farcry 3.

I made it into the top 10% in Counterstrike, that's the extent of my online achievements :)

Hehe, well - one of the reasons I got so into it was that my GF at the time was even more into WoW than I was.

I don't think I could ever play an MMO alone for long - as I tend to solo when I don't have real friends playing.

Playing MMOs solo is boring, imo.

Man, I don't know if I should bow in admiration, shake my head in confusion, or feel sorry… But it does put your tenactiy as a forum poster into perspective :D

Feel sorry gets my vote. It was a ton of commitment, both time and money, but it's ultimately just meaningless 1s and 0s. So many more productive things I could have been doing, and so many RPGs I've missed out on. Least that last part is fixable.

I spend some serious time in Farcry 2 and 3 and L4D 1 & 2 > 600 hours each.
I solved the difficult achievements in L4D, and was a top 20 player in Farcry 2 and a top 50 in Farcry 3.

I only finished one of the L4D campaigns on expert difficulty -- and that was only with a great deal of cheesing it. For example, there was an exploit where you could bypass a zombie assault by melee attacking a switch, and after doing that enough times you could jump over the obstacle. Even so, that was a lot of work and I couldn't talk my friends into attempting any of the other campaigns on expert mode.

I guess the first year or two it'll be subscription and then they will probably switch to f2p. I'm going to subscribe to ESO. I'm playing LOTRO for 5 months now and if ESO can provide similar level of fun (or better) then I'm OK with it.

When I played MMOs as my core gaming time (from 1999 to about 2006), I would play them exclusively, so it was actually cheaper for me. Normally I would buy a game every month or so, and it would last 2-3 weeks till I finished it, and before Steam, that meant paying about $15-$40 for them. $14/month for an MMO was therefore much cheaper.

Now things are different. I rarely pay over $20 for a game in Steam. Also I like strategy games now like Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4, which I play for months. So $14/month is not so cheap anymore.

I hate the culture of "free" and much prefer to pay for stuff and services. Perhaps not surprisingly, the publisher is getting a lot of flak on mainstream gaming sites for not offering Elder Scrolls Online for "free". People don't seem to understand that "free" always means you get screwed somehow. Even if you avoid the monetising schemes, what you get is an inferior gaming experience. Unless you are a charity, charging money is the honest way to go.

While I don't play MMO games myself, I hope Elder Scrolls Online succeeds, because a honest business model should be a viable option.

RIFT is currently F2P and as far as I can tell it does NOT require purchases. The stuff you can buy are things like mounts, pets, boosts to experience gain, extra profession slots, etc. Nothing that a player would NEED to buy in order to compete.

When I played MMOs as my core gaming time (from 1999 to about 2006), I would play them exclusively, so it was actually cheaper for me. Normally I would buy a game every month or so, and it would last 2-3 weeks till I finished it, and before Steam, that meant paying about $15-$40 for them. $14/month for an MMO was therefore much cheaper.

Now things are different. I rarely pay over $20 for a game in Steam. Also I like strategy games now like Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4, which I play for months. So $14/month is not so cheap anymore.

I played WOW exclusively as well, for about 5 years. Top raiding guild on the server does that to you. I kept buying all the singleplayer games I wanted to play at some point though, which means I have a back catalog I'll never finish. Much more conservative with my spending now, I buy games on sale unless I know I'll play them on release.

RIFT is currently F2P and as far as I can tell it does NOT require purchases. The stuff you can buy are things like mounts, pets, boosts to experience gain, extra profession slots, etc. Nothing that a player would NEED to buy in order to compete.
I'm not saying that you can't enjoy "free" stuff. Have to admit that I use Google frequently myself, for instance. But I would actually prefer to pay for a search engine, instead of having my searches monetised at the other end.

Here is an off topic observation about monetising our private data, by the way: http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...d_foursquare_soliciting_bids_on_personal.html

The opposite of "free" is Kickstarter, where you pay in advance, often more than you would usually pay for a game, so that the kind of game you want can even get made.

Back
Top Bottom