Best Character Names

magerette

Hedgewitch
We've all done it--stared blankly at the little box that says :Character Name_______ and desparately racked our brains for the perfect handle for that half-elf dual wielding ranger...often she ends up being named Lorimella Ethanol or Fred, but sometimes you get lucky and creativity strikes.

What are your favorite names? You can use any genre, but please specify the game and character class. They don't have to be funny, but it helps.

My contribution:

Sir Vyvor, Paladin, IWD
Greenwillow Myst, Druid or soft drink?, ToEE
Ula La, Amazon, Diablo 2LOD

And I have to admit, every time I play a dwarven character, his name is Fearghus. :)

I usually try to use names that sound like ancient Greek names. ;) (My great hobby the Archaeology. ;) )

So, since some time ago I stick with "Thalos", which isn't pronounced like the regular English th, but rather like a single standing t with the hint or breath of an h.

In the DS1 expansion "Yesterhaven", I tried to play a female character called "Thili", this time pronounced with an regular English th. ;) Any hints/similarities to the word "Chili" are purely wanted. ;)

In this forum role playing game (which sadly never made it beyond the critical point) I invented kind of a tribesman called Talo(n) Ngara. The name "Talon" is a mixture between a nickname and an "earned" name, kind of a sign. You can read more about that character here. (Need to scroll down.)

This might shock some of you, but 90% of my characters are called Corwin!! :)

*shocked* O_O

This might shock some of you, but 90% of my characters are called Corwin!! :)
s_corwin.jpg

A magician trained in the magic capital, Galena. He was orphaned by war and grew up in an orphanage with Marx, his best friend to this day. With the Neverland raid on his home, he and Marx decided to join the Fitishia Liberation Army. His hatred for war and its instigators drives him. He is kind, level- headed, and earnest. He often looks after Marx, who rarely thinks before he acts. But on occasion, Corwin has been known to act a little silly himself.

Someone at NIS apparently noticed and named one for you
;)

I tend to play a small group of characters from the old pnp days... just a half-dozen or so memorable toons that saw more than one late night round the table...

Right now I'm playing Baldur's Gate with an old mage, Innsifire. I must have been 9 years old when I made that name up... wow.

One of my all-time favorite character names was the bard, Treven Alfar. A scoundrel and rogue by any other name. When a crpg allows for bards, it seems it's always Treven that heeds the call...

I play WoW with a few real-life friends, and we just sort of fell into a pseudo-clever naming scheme... we all play undead, and the naming goes like this:

Dyspaire the Mage
Repaire the Priest
Impaire the Warrior
Suffaire the Warlock
Whispaire the Rogue

I dunno, we like it at least... makes people laugh sometimes...

peace

I never really 'standardized' until NWN ... of course that is when I *really* started playing RPG's (and since you don't really name your FPS characters as such).

So here are my basics:
- Male Paladin (or Jedi warrior) - Hamin Lane
- Male Mage (or Jedi force user) - Willin Arndt
- Female all-purpose - Trislyn Jast

ive never used the same name twice in rpg. some have been really good i thought but the only one i can remember since it was a non serious one is 'skerimuve' i used for my diablo 2 online character (barbarian). the only time i ever created another online character(s) was world of warcraft and juandia was my female troll shaman.
of course for profile names in games i usually use the same name since its not really a character. my name of choice--zamboni king

Well, I like to play the scantily clad bikini babes, so my standard name for these gals is Dumi P'now. The "P" is silent :)

... and Roger Zelazny is rotating in his Grave...

The greatest Prince of Amber reduced to a Anime-Chara :(

Edit: Typo ^^

Yeah, but that particular game (Spectral Souls for the PSP) has a number of ripped-off names and places that make taking it seriously very difficult - it takes place in Neverland, there is a Simba empire, and one of the evil generals is Siegfried.

My first p&p RPG character was a certain Ramses Wahnsinn - a fighter, I think -, my longest-lasting AD&D ranger's name was Sylvester Bearclaw.
My favorite P&P character ever was SDA 1501 a.k.a. Oh-One a.k.a. Jaz Tarn, my stubborn Star Wars stormie. He started a trend because I named most of my female fantasy CRPG characters after him: Jazintha, Jazinthi, Iacintha... and so on.

In p&p games, it usually depends on the genre and type of character - there's no visible trend, at least not for me; some of my characters after AD&D were

Sir Jorane Müller - a mercenary in Traveller
Miguel Reyes a.k.a Junior - a US soldier in Twilight:2000
Vicky Woodley - an Aussie mercenary in Merc:2000
Jacques and Charlotte Le Boeuf - two Marik mechwarriors in, well, Mechwarrior
Ashley Steelhead, a Muster Mercenary in Fading Suns
Griff, a Dunlending burglar/bouncer in MERP...

Last edited:
A few off the top of my head:

FoamingSquirrel- FPS and "nature" themed toons like druids etc, also female archers
Samhain, Exorcist, Sabra Cadabra - casters
Tigerius Maximus - fighters, paladins

I use more, but these are generally my standards

Ok.. I have two standard names:

- Aileya (Featherwind) for female characters, healer or ranger type. My favorite name.
- Aeryn (Moonbow) for males. Mostly rangers. Yes, it can be female too. I had used "Ariel" before, another name for both sexes, but it didn't work out so well.

I have a hard time thinking up male names I really like... And I prefer names that start with the letter 'A', in case you haven't noticed. ;)
I also like Arya, but unfortunately it's off limits due to being from ASoIaF.

Last edited:
Very creative, all!
(especially Repaire the Priest, Foaming Squirrel and little Miss Dumi. :) )
And curious I would have known skerimuve as your char anywhere since we have no capitol letter. ;)

Thanks to Fenris for finally reminding me why Corwin's moniker is so familiar. It's been years since I read Zelazny, but once read, the Amber books are with you forever.

In line with Arhu, Jazz , Mike and others, I have a few old standbys:
Orianna Whitemoon--anything elvish
Edrik Eisenbras--Barbarian fighter type
Pearl of ( any in-game town)-- bard, (after the immortal Janis Joplin)

@Alrik--I am doing all greek names in Titan Quest; Medea, Dionyca, Laecona, and(naturally) Zorba the Pyromancer. :)

For themed names, I sometimes do Shakespeare:
Prospero for elvin male mage-types
Titania-was my fairy mage in Wizardry 8
Othello for fighters who lead the party and have great angst--and groupies
Anelida for elvish females
Iago on occasion for scroundrelly bards n rogues.

Keep up the good work!

Depends on the class of the character and the setting, I often take historical names when my imagination fails. RPG examples:

Arcanum: Alfred Nobel, Jules Verne

Knight types in any game: William the Bastard, Zaleukos, Blackadder, The Iron Duke
Mages: Zaleukos or some "elemental" name that fits the preferred attack spell, Tempest, Whirlwind (the latter two are unisex and useful since I tend to make wizards female in party based games)
Priests: The Prophet, Zaleukos, The Bishop
Thieves: Swift, Longfinger, Whirlwind
Barbarians: Bloodaxe, Forkbeard, Fjol (Nord names as they appear in Morrowind are hilarious to me as a Scandinavian), Gunther :p
Monks (of the asian variety, I'm currently using one in IWD2): Jackie Chan (another unisex name)

Dwarves are the trickiest characters to name... Humans are easy and for elves one can simply take a Chinese name that has been translated to English...

usually it is titus, how original ;)
or swordfighter, skullmaster
or one I use a lot lately: skullion

I get more creative when I do parties for Wiz8 or MM6&7, but single character game names are pretty easy for me. Since I restart most games a dozen times or so before really moving forward, I stopped trying to come up with good names. My default is Ishmael ("Call me Ishmael", after all), and I've occasionally branched out to Ahab for variety.

My favorite was my NWN multiplayer idiot half-orc barbarian. One of the few times I've created a backstory and persona for a character and actually roleplayed it faithfully. His name was shamelessly stolen from a Saturday Night Live skit-- Turd Ferguson.

Most of my first playthrough male characters end up being Krzychu (very rarely Krzysiek). Rev (no, it's not a Revan rip-off), is a name I like to give magicians, usually on second playthrough. In the past, if I created female characters (usually third playthrough, although not a rule) I named them Nevara.

I rarely give my characters a surname. In NWN if I wanted my character to have a surname, I just clicked the generate button until I saw something that I liked, and modified them if needed (the first name still being my invention). In games other than NWN/NWN2/BG I probably never use a surname.

Some characters:

Celric d'Zers - male cleric, NWN; I don't remember if it was intended or accidental
Cellia Lanner - female druid, NWN
Syriusz Ashaller - just some warrior-type in NWN
Zyrath what's-his-name - sorcerer in NWN; heh, I must check whatever surname that was
Arves - male character in KotOR2

That's all I remember at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom