Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Viet Nam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
University of Otago philosophy professor Josh Parsons found the quality of several flags severely lacking and decided to rate the flags based on various factors.

Most of the well known flags weren't looked upon favorably, to put it mildly. ;)

And to include some interactivity in my first politics and religion thread (I hate politics!), I've added a poll regarding the top 10 flags of said ratings.

Last edited:
Be patient, young Padawan. ;)

Apparently it's not possible to create a poll along with a new thread - only after it has already been posted.

Anyway, I voted for Japan, because I'm biased - I love Japan. And Turkey, because I like stars and the moon...

I'll go with Somalia. Simple, great colors, and somehow breathes freely -- the star isn't too big.

I like the simplicity of Japan. Would have chosen Canada for the same reason if it made the top 10.

Fun read overall! Love looking at all the flags. I think it is humorous (and sad) that he felt the need to add a disclaimer ...

I like the South African flag. It has character without being pretentious or messy.

All the IMHO boring Euro flags got B:s. I wouldnt have rated Sweden:s as highly as he did (though I unlike him appreciate our colours).

According to a poll we have the fewest amount of believers in the world, so a cross is kinda dumb.

I like Somalia of the top ten, but the Canadian flag and the one for Botswana were actually my favorites. Greece and Bosnia/Herzgovina appeal to me least.

My personal favorite is Turkey (I like red, I like moon and star symbols), followed by Viet Nam (ditto) and Japan (I also like sun symbols).
The least appealing out of the ten flags would be that of Israel (blue *blech*, and those horrible stripes) followed by Cuba (ditto). If it absoluted has to be blue, it'd better be of the lighter sort (like Somalia's blue).

EDIT: Out of the others, I like Morocco (may cause eye cancer, but it's hypnotizing), Malawi (which reminds me of that old favorite game of mine, Scorched Earth) and St. Lucia (though blue, it's very... different).

Last edited:
Japan gets my vote because the flag has a simple design and good colours.. In addition I like the distinct symbolism.

I'm a Japanophile, but I chose South Africa for aesthetics.

Tibet has my favorite flag, followed by Sri Lanka.

I prefer the Texas flag above all others (And yes it should count, we were our own country for 9 years!).

Of course, I admit I may be a bit biased! :D

Back
Top Bottom