Shroud of the Avatar - Release #7

Yes, they are taking a negative PR hit but they realize it's a necessary evil to continue funding the game so that everyone else who can't afford the fluff will still get the game, which is so much more than just that.

Obsidian / inXile aren't trying to also create a persistent, dynamic multiplayer sandbox (i.e. MMO) and thus can concentrate on story and RPG-like content. Unfortunately for SotA, they are keeping the entire story secret and thus presents an issue with what they're willing to reveal in their marketing. That's not to say they haven't done anything in the story department. They released an entire novel (Blade of the Avatar) that provides the back history for the game, as well as revealed the entire map of the current game. But all the story-based stuff is lost in the noise of cries of P2W and high priced real estate. It's unfortunate but that's the reality they face.

They're slowly trickling out the content though as they build out more of the mainland (Novia), such as the recent reveal of Ardoris, one of the main cities in the game. So far everything has taken place on the Hidden Vale, the starter island created just for the play tests and largely has nothing to do with the main game / story.

Thank you Smack for this information, very much appreciated.

It is comforting to hear that the proper rpg development is ticking in the background. Look forward to seeing and playing it then.

Many thanks again Smack.

They released an entire novel (Blade of the Avatar) that provides the back history for the game, as well as revealed the entire map of the current game.

Do you have a link for the map? I'd like to see it.

Yes, they are taking a negative PR hit but they realize it's a necessary evil to continue funding the game so that everyone else who can't afford the fluff will still get the game, which is so much more than just that.
So they are really martyrs for the cause? "Neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night can stay these messengers about their duty."?

Unfortunately for SotA, they are keeping the entire story secret and thus presents an issue with what they're willing to reveal in their marketing.
SNIP
But all the story-based stuff is lost in the noise of cries of P2W and high priced real estate. It's unfortunate but that's the reality they face.
Poor brave SotA! But who asks for the ENTIRE story to be revealed? Few bits and pieces to shut up all that noise of cries would to nicely…

It is comforting to hear that the proper rpg development is ticking in the background. Look forward to seeing and playing it then.

LOL, you have picked the right nick SF. You are an (incorrigible) optimist! :lol:

Last edited:
LOL, you have picked the right nick SF. You ale an (incorrigible) optimist! :lol:

Well spotted - now imagine what would happen if I was a CupFULL?

There is nothing wrong with hope and some optimism - and maybe they will release some story and rpg details later on once they have enough funding to ignore the 'fluff' payers (I pity, I say I pity the fools!).

So they are really martyrs for the cause? "Neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night can stay these messengers about their duty."?

After the original KS campaign ended, they made another $2M. Of that $2M, 4% of the backers (the pledge tiers that get housing and up) funded nearly 63% of that. So yes, I'd say the ones that can afford the fluff are largely the ones funding the game's further development. Really folks, if you focus in on the game's current marketing you'll be depressed. But if you can look past that, there's a deep RPG underneath for those willing to pay attention.

Poor brave SotA! But who asks for the ENTIRE story to be revealed? Few bits and pieces to shut up all that noise of cries would to nicely…

The dev model they're going for is to work that in slowly as they build the core game systems. For better or worse, they're unveiling the bare bones framework of those core game systems (bugs and all) and finishing those before creating and adding in all that content. So they are slowly revealing more of the game's main content as it gets built out. But the cries of p2w and fluff are drowning out those of the real game underneath. They simply need to grin and bear it and let the game speak for itself with each subsequent release.

They simply need to grin and bear it and let the game speak for itself with each subsequent release.
Ok than. Let's wait and see if we will get the meat and potatoes or a plateful of fluff :)

Back
Top Bottom