Rampant Coyote - Indie Releases of 2007

Dhruin

SasqWatch
In the second indie item for the day, Rampant Coyote dropped us a line about their roundup of the indie RPG releases this year, along with the observation that its been a pretty good year for the genre:
It's about that time of year again, when most of the magazines and websites begin tallying up what they think were the most-hyped best-marketed best games of the preceding twelve months. It's a little topic guaranteed to stir up about as many heated arguments as talking about politics or religion. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

I wanna play, too!

Now, I'm a game developer who only tinkers with doing reviews or "First Impressions" or whatnot. This isn't a gaming review site, so I tend to avoid doing full reviews of games here. In fact, I actually haven't PLAYED all the indie games that came out this year labeled "RPGs." In fact, I'm pretty certain that I don't even know about all of them. But I'm trying, striving to keep abreast of all of them as best as I can because I do enjoy them, and I like to stay informed.

And that has been quite a challenge this year. It's not like indie games deliberately hide themselves from detection, so much as getting lost in all the noise.
We've covered most of the games mentioned and I've been watching Birth of Shadows, which is due very soon.
Thanks, Jay!
More information.

I'm not "not" covering it - I only saw it a week or two back with the IGDA contest list and figured I'd just wait for the release since it's so close and the site doesn't really tell me that much about it.

I'm not "not" covering it - I only saw it a week or two back with the IGDA contest list and figured I'd just wait for the release since it's so close and the site doesn't really tell me that much about it.

They just released the official release schedule, a good enough reason to post.

It sure looks interesting, I'll try to roll out some coverage for GameBanshee at the least.

Not an uninteresting project, certainly.

What's the reason for RPGWatch not to cover it?

We can´t report about something we don´t know. If they want coverage they can send out a fucking PR. Otherwise it can take a bit longer.

We can´t report about something we don´t know. If they want coverage they can send out a fucking PR. Otherwise it can take a bit longer.

Whoa, dude, chillax. We missed 'em at GameBanshee too, but y'know how it is. That's just reality for indie titles, as frustrating as it might be for us.

Now we roll out some coverage, though I wonder how much of a hack 'n slash this title is.

A lot of indies try "soft launches" too - they release a game with very little fanfare to their communities, get a few days or weeks of "shakedown" time in amongst a friendlier audience before making a wider, official announcement.

Ya does what ya can when you don't have much of a marketing budget.

Indie games typically have longer shelf-lives than mainstream titles, too, so it's not like they have to hit that critical first-sixty-days window.

I just posted an update - someone on the Iron Tower forums told me about Shady O'Grady's Rising Star ... a rock 'n roll RPG.

http://www.gilligames.com/SOGRS/features.htm

I haven't tried it, so I have no clue. But something worth mentioning. This looks nicely different.

heheh rising stars looks kinda fun gonna check it out.

Back
Top Bottom