Lords of Xulima - New Screenshot

I'll be there after it actually launches, plus a few dozen patches. It does look decent, but I like functionality.

It is very functional right now....and it's not even the release version....not seeing any bugs feels very polished.

Hmm, it does not sound like a game for me. I didn't even play MMX yet (and I probably will not). I don't like when I cannot move individual party members during combat and when movement is not a tactic (I enjoy putting my rogue behind enemies in IWDEE to get a backstab).

While you can't move around in a map, positioning can have a big factor in the game.

I think it's like

5 slots for enemies in the back
5 slots for enemies in the front
4 slots for your party in the front
4 slots for your party in the back

Now a paladin only buffs the people directly surrounding him. So it's important to cluster together for a buff.
There are spells which target one enemy and the enemy infront of him.
Also if one enemy or party member of a front row is slain, the member behind him will immediately move to the front. Which is something to watch out for in your party, and something you can take advantage of at your opponents.
In addition the very left of your guys will not be able to attack and be attacked by the very right of your enemy for example.
The Back Row can only attack the front row of opponents when a Pole Arm is used.
If you use a bow however you can target all enemies.

And then there is the summoner who can conjure 2 additional members which will fill the 2 remaining slots.

So you can't move around freely like in a BG or Divinity or so. But positioning is definitely a relevant part of the combat.

I'm interested in and will follow future games by this company. On this one - I personally don't like the combat system it has, (just a matter of taste, really) but I'm definitely interested in their future games. This company is one to keep an eye on.

Party members can (and must) be moved within the formation. This is to position characters to be able to hit the enemy, and to protect weaker characters. Backstab for rogues is possible, but isn't related to position, particularly, beyond being in melee range.

I think you're trying to find reasons to dislike what is actually a very likable game. That said, if you're expecting a strategy game, it ain't.

What it is, however, is probably the most authentic "traditional" RPG experience released since MMX, perhaps excluding Grimrock. For me, whilst Grimrock comes from the actiony "EOB" school, Xulima comes from the more exploration-oriented series with outdoor world. Games like M&M, Ultima (never my preference - I loved M&M), Wizardy 7/8, and so on.

I would recommend this above things like Shadowrun, Wasteland2, and similar, despite owning/backing those games.

Also, to those on the fence or waiting for the "next game", at least pick it up in a sale. These guys are first-time/indie folks and without sensible sales, it'll be difficult to justify another game in future. That's how a lot of RPG series died, really. I grant you that purchasing at full-price is a gamble if you're not sure, but I reckon most people reading rpgwatch should at least have it on their Steam Wishlist, if nothing else!

It's also just 20€, 17€ till release. So if you like these kind of games in general definitely worth purchasing.

they said this is a trilogy but part2 will come only fi sales are decent

Let me just add to the chorus here:

I backed this game, and was barely able to force myself to stop playing an early beta so I could enjoy it on release. If D:OS hadn't come out, I'm not sure I would have been successful. Loved playing it.

Bottom line: If you're a regular at the Watch, you should buy this game. 'nuf said.

Unless your backlog is enormous like mine. It is disheartening to an OCD individual such as myself. ;)

How do you think I feel...so many games partly finished:p

Back
Top Bottom