RPGWatch Feature - Legends of Eisenwald Review

I don't quite get why Germans don't like a not historic game about their country. Maybe everyone out there likes accuracy and order? :) German media was also not very favorable to our game (probably the worst of all countries), even some of the people we know personally. I think maybe because there are only just a few strategic elements, I don't know.

As a stereotype Germans think there is Right and Wrong.
Right = The only way.
Wrong = Other way.
If its not accurate, its wrong. If its not factual, its wrong. If its not perfect, its wrong.

Jörg Langer who tested it for Gamers Global was positively surprised and also mentioned the game in two Episodes of the "Spieleveteranenpodcast" he is doing together with some other German Veteran Journalists.
Gamers Global gave it a score of 75. All others scored worse.
Here is an overview. In the little boxes you can see partially why they gave the scores. 4P (scored 59) didn't seem to "understand" the game. From the box alone (I haven't read the text) it seems like the tester expected a HOMM and didn't like the big Roleplaying part this games comes with (instead of a big strategy part).
PC Games gave an 68. Because it is clunky and not polished. Having played the game now (and not at release) I would say that the gameplay itself is polished for the most part, but I can totally see where they are coming from, as certain elements are odd or buggy. Just to give a few Examples:
There is a spell with which you can summon a spirit. But this spell 1. breaks sometimes, creating a button which crashes the game. 2. the spirit is sometimes extremely difficult to control as sometimes the attack icon just doesn't show up.
However the game is mostly stable (maybe 5-10 crashes in 80 hours which is ok) and the spirit controls aren't dominating the game and the issue doesn't always show up. Then there is a button in the combat to restart the combat, but it seems to be always greyed out. And when you sell something in the inventory, it doesn't pull up the row below, but pull down the row above, which can lead to selling the wrong items as it just doesn't make any sense and is unconventional.
But these are rather minor issues which are present - but not dominating the game in any way. But I can understand a score hit for these.

Now regarding the historical accuracy: It's in a historic setting, but it doesn't tell a historic story. There are definite fantasy elements, like the mentioned spirit. But the fantasy elements are more of what you think about when talking about a vampire or ghost story. It's not high fantasy with Orcs and Elves.

One point where German players might be very critical at though are some sayings regarding jews which are used in the game. But it's used in a context which historically made sense. And the game (much like Expeditions Conquistador) highlights a religious focus of the population now and then. Now to give a short religious lesson: The christians were not allowed to lend money with interest due to their believe. But because Jews didn't see it that way as harshly, all the credit sharks were basically jews. Not because jews were bad, but because it was the only possibility. But this as a result gave them a bad reputation as mean, avaricious money collectors by the christian population. And this is basically how they are refered to in the game. And to read "Jude" as insult is something hard to swallow, due to WW2 history. So at first it's probably a "WTF?" until you realise, that you need to put it into historical context.

Thanks for write up, Kordanor, bugs are indeed a thing, and those spirits we tried fixing already a few times :) Still, number wise: average score in Germany - 67, metacritic - 71 (59 is the lowest by 4players), Russia is 80 (only one of them at metacritic though).

As for Jews, we have good ones in the game too, like Simon. Overall, this might be actually a good controversy if they would notice that. I don't remember hearing much about that in reviews though.

4Players is a strange site. I often had the impression they're against something just to be different.

The GamersGlobal review was much more positive, AFAIR.

So, I'm now about 9 hours into the game and I really like it so far. The atmosphere is great, combat is good, the story is interesting and quests are varied. Can't wait to play more of it. But since Expeditions: Conquistador was my favorite game of 2013 and Divinty: Original Sin my favorite game of 2014 this shouldn't be a big surprise… ;)

Only gripe I have with the game so far is that some quests are a bit annoying because you don't really get what you should do next. But apart from that I'm quite satisfied and well entertained.

Good to know! In the future I will avoid 4Players, they would have to buy anything else we do if they want to review it :)

Just avoid anything that is reviewed by Jörg Luibl there (sadly, their usual RPG reviewer). He's known for giving completely arbitrary scores because he likes or dislikes only ONE element of the game. Apart from that, the review for Legends of Eisenwald was just bad, missing crucial elements. Looks like Luibl didn't invest a lot of time into the game or thought into the review. Shame.

Last edited:
That's a problem with the games that have a lot of content - journalists don't have time to play. And for this reason, the beginning should be really good. In our game it's not that great and that is reflected in the reviews, unfortunately.

That's a problem with the games that have a lot of content - journalists don't have time to play. And for this reason, the beginning should be really good. In our game it's not that great and that is reflected in the reviews, unfortunately.

Not only no time to play. It's a lack of money too. If a professional reviewer from the UK gets, say, 250$ for a finished review including polished text and screenshots … how many days can he realistically spend on playing the game? Just do the math.
The beginning has to be superb if you want to have a good score on a bigger review outlet. Or your game must be so high profile that sites and print mags are expected to spend a man-week on it.

I wonder why smaller gaming companies still make games as if they are unaware of this. It's not rocket science. All this has been known for more than 10 years.

Good to know! In the future I will avoid 4Players, they would have to buy anything else we do if they want to review it :)

The other side of the medal is that 4Players is a big and influential site. A positive score there would indeed help.

And the guy from 4Players who wrote the review is not a paid writer, he is the chief editor of that site.

Not a paid writer in the sense I meant it (-> freelancer). He is a full time employee of the company running the site. 4Players is now a part of Computec Media (PC Games print mag).

Last edited:
Right. He can do whatever he wants, although his time budget per month is limited.

And as shameless self promotion I also throw my conclusion and review into this thread. ;)
Just be aware that it's German. ^^

Kordanor, thank you for 90 episodes and for the review! That was really fun to see, I watched quite a few of them. I will also fix the German localization bugs I saw.

By the way, the last battle against Milvinus had also a bug - Milvinus is not supposed to be vulnerable to Rubedo spell. There is another way to win that battle and the hint was in the beginning of the chapter :)

i bought on a whim LoE during a steam sale more than a year ago, and that was my best gaming discovery since The Secret World :)
Turn based so i can think about my moves rather than try to outrun my mouse, so my kind of strategy game, but with all the rpg / atmosphere elements i love. Plus beautiful paintings and great music !
That made it definitely worthwhile dealing with the various glitches and bugs of the beta version, and the current game is not 100% bug free but definitely stable enough for people to relax, enjoy (and suffer ! Battles are hard before you get the grasp of it !)
I love that game, and any review that gives it more visibility is welcome. It will only appeal to a specific kind of gamers, but to those it's a gem !

Too much text. Even adding german subtitles would take some time as you can't let youtube do it by itself (maybe every 5th identification of a word makes sense).

And translating over 3300 Words isn't done in a minute either. In addition doing translations is one of the most boring tasks you can do if you ask me. ^^

Back
Top Bottom