Sacred 2 - Copy Protection Revealed

Compared to EA's copy protection (drm) this is indeed pretty lenient.

The salient or promient point for me is that there is indeed a revoke tool
for the activations. This means you can revoke the license when you need to do a major computer upgrade; 1-2 parts can be changed without using the revoke tool.
By un-installing, you're revoking one of your activations. (if I read the info correctly?)

This drm system in Sacred 2 also clearly shows that what a developer or publisher want, they'll get. As far as DRM goes, this is what I want to see in the future.

This finds and keeps a balance between customer's rights and developer's rights,
I find.

This drm system in Sacred 2 also clearly shows that what a developer or publisher want, they'll get. As far as DRM goes, this is what I want to see in the future.

This finds and keeps a balance between customer's rights and developer's rights,
I find.

Anything that will prevent someone with a legal box copy from installing the game due to circumstances outside of their control is anti-consumer ... and it is amazing to me how easily people are getting used to this treatment that Sacred 2, by being 'less evil' is OK.

Again - we *assume* that Sony will keep the DRM servers going 'forever', and further we assume that Ascaron might patch out the need for activation at some point. But bottom line, companies die - large and small - and then all we have is coasters.

Ascaron has contacted us with information that the contents of the newsbit is not completely correct. Here is the correct information (changes in bold):

• 1 box, 1 license
  • The license can be used online to play on our servers at no charge for the license owner
  • You can install Sacred2 on a 1000 PC´s but playing at the same time = 2x. This can be your Desktop and your notebook.
  • 2 can be played via LAN with one license
  • 2 can play SP
  • Unlimited installations, 2 activations parallel. Activations can be revoked through multiple channels (online-auto, online tools, offline). Revoke & re-activate can be done an unlimited number of times but limited per day to avoid abuse. It has to be a fair trade.
  • One PC component can be replaced without problems. Beyond that revoke & re-activate is the recommended procedure.
  • Putting up the internet a Serial code to abuse the key and revoke tool will not work.
  • There will be a worldwide email hotline for DRM issues due to failed hardware, etc. The manual page with the key serves as proof of purchase.
  • The service at Securom will be available 365 days a year, 24 hours per day.
  • Ascaron hotline during biz hours for standard phone rates. (Germany only)
  • Internet connection is needed during installation. The FAQ explains you can use a friend's PC for manual activation though.
  • You can play without the DVD. It´s not needed in the drive.
  • No private data will be transfered during the activation process. You cannot even enter critical data.
  • The activation servers will be available for the next couple of years. Should this no longer be the case, the DRM will be patched out.
  • The whole activation process takes less than 10 seconds and runs in the background after typing in the serial code.
  • Sacred2 license is transferable. The EULA doesnt say no to it because its the right to sell what you bought before.
Ascaron also had the following to say:
We allowed more than in the past according to our EULA and the DRM shall help to control this. In the past only 1 single player license was sold but many people didnt respect it. The use of SecuROM in this way allows more and we hope this reduces the desire for a cracked version.

Last edited:
I don't understand this, maybe I'm dumb.

1 License 2 Plays ? I thought one would need 2 licenses for this ???

Now I am puzzled ... Thanks, Ascaron.

It is the same with Mass Effect, you get one copy (1 license). You can install it on three different machines at the same time - and play it on them, too.

Sacred 2 can be played on two different machines with the same license.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need copy protection or drm. The world isn't perfect and it is doubtfull whether it will be - at all or in the near future. I would prefer that games did not have copy protection at all, but this, to me, is a (very) unrealistic scenario.

For me, copy protection in games are a necessary evil - to help game developers protect their creative works and publishers their investments. I'm not happy about it, but understand why this has to be.

Since drm probably will be included in games, I would like to see something like this
drm in Sacred 2 spread to other games. To me, the drm in Sacred 2, is the most acceptable drm I have seen - especially since you can revoke the activations.

Still not happy about it being a 'licensed, not sold' product - and that there isn't a bar telling you that 'the game is activating - please stand by.'

In short - this is by far the best take on drm I have seen.

It is the same with Mass Effect, you get one copy (1 license). You can install it on three different machines at the same time - and play it on them, too.

Sacred 2 can be played on two different machines with the same license.
The difference is the revoke thing. You can easily transfer your licenses to other PCs, without having to beg customer support for new activations. So it´s indeed much better than Mass Effect or Spore.

OK, based on transferability I will lighten up a bit ... but I still feel that a game that I cannot be guaranteed will be replayable 15 years from now is an unfair limitation! (and yes, I'm currently doing it with other games!)

Errrr Wrong!

The difference is the revoke thing. You can easily transfer your licenses to other PCs, without having to beg customer support for new activations. So it´s indeed much better than Mass Effect or Spore.

nope i've tried all day long! just bought the game from a friend last night and we've tried all they have said on both the AScaron and Securom sites.. we also tried e-mail both adresses.
no answer it's been 18hours.

thanks ascaron!

Sorry to hear that. Did you post in their forum?

Back
Top Bottom