RPGWatch - CT: Demon's Revenge Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I managed to get a new interview for Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge with the games main developer Trexrell. So give the interview a read, and help fund the game.

Couchpotato: Trexrell, can you give a brief history about yourself and your company White Guardian Studios?

Trexrell: Sure! White Guardian Studios is a company formed by me, Tyrell, and my wife Whitney White. The name is White is derived from our last name, a union that we and our family share and Guardian is just something we both felt fit with a lot of things that we were going for in terms of the quality that we wanted to put into our games. Our slogan was going to be "Guarding you from bad games," haha. That's obviously too cheesy. We strive to make the best game we possibly can make for everyone to play.

Game making has just been a passion we shared with each other. We have been making games before and even more so after we met. We started off as content creators in the MUGEN community, there I perfected my spriting abilities and we were able to bring the game up to the quality of what it is now. Whitney created Demon's Revenge way before we met and has continued to work on it every waking day of her life. That is dedication. I do not think we would be where we are without her persistence and getting things the exact way she wants.

During our first campaign we were able to meet a very talented artist named Ricky Gunawan who was able to understand our vision with comic book art and really evolve the presentation to what it is now. We feel he is much a part of the team as my wife and I and he has supported us since day one.

We also work with a brilliant musician named Mark McKeich. He has been in the maker community for some time. He was able to use our older compositions and really bring out that epic and dramatic feel we need for our project.
More information.

Thank you, I really enjoyed answering these question.

Thank you, I really enjoyed answering these question.
Thank you also for agreeing to answer my questions.:handshake:

Hopefully more members will comment as the day goes on.

Man, I was hoping this was a Candy Crush clone. That's about the only game that's not covered nowadays. Is there a chance we can split the news between crpgs and all this other crap? We used to have the Locus Inn or something that covered other games. Maybe we could start using it for strict crpgs and then the main page for all the strategy, RTS, puzzle, facebook, phone, and console games. Maybe we should just change the name of the site to GameWatch.

This in not a knock of Couch btw, he does a good job. I'm just getting really tired of digging through layers of shit to find crpg goodness. Maybe the news could start being broken down with headers? {RPG} Dragon Age: Review {PHN} My little Pony 5 {FCB} Dragon Puzzle, etc.

Maybe it's just time for me to move on....I hate going back to the Codex but at least it's crpgs there.

Moving on now as I had this discussion over a hundred times already. I even asked Trexrell about how he felt about this problem with a few members on our site.

This is also the wrong thread to discuss this issue once again.:movingon:
Couchpotato: I see the game looks to be made using the RPG Maker game engine, and some members of our site dismiss any games made with it, so why did you choose to use it? Also, how would you persuade them to give your game a chance?

Trexrell: It kills me that so many people would pass up games purely based on the engine it's made in. That's like saying "I'm not going to play Kingdom Hearts 3 because it's being made in Unreal Engine." I think what really matters is the quality of the game and the effort that goes into it. We chose to use RPG Maker due to it's ease of use. It later gained the ability to include custom scripting to make individual games really stand out from the crowds. Why reinvent the wheel when you have something that does exactly what you need? Some things require workarounds, but nothing too tedious that it would require a new engine. When you use RM to it's potential, you can create really neat things and I have seen these games in the community. They are hidden gems, you just have to keep looking!

I could understand if it was the same old RTP stuff that you find in every other RPG Maker game (which has admittedly given RPG Maker the bad name that it has), but you can definitely see from screenshots and videos, that is not the case here. All I can tell people is to try the demo and don't knock it until you've tried it!

Now I also want to say that the only reason we'd be moving engines is for more platform support. We have been talking about moving to Unity for the platform options that it offers and we have a little something working so far, but that will not be soon unless we hit certain goals in our kickstarter.

Last edited:
Looks like a normal oldschool turn-based JRPG for me :) -> thanks for the interview.

crpgnut - you are waking up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

As far as I am concerned this is "RPG" and should be in the main site....

Thanks guys, It is very hard to base a game off a trailer, if it's good or bad. Playing the demo gives you a better idea of the actual game. It is very fun to watch games but they are definitely meant to be played.

Trexrell, looks like a pretty neat game will check out the demo.

To Crpgnut, this article is definitely about a core game for RPG Watch but I think that the slightly broader focus into fantasy and strategy games with RPG elements is welcome. Feel free to go back to the limited vision of RPG Codex

I agree. This is a RPG and can definitely be covered.
We occasionally indeed have non-rpg news and articles. This is a site operated by volunteers, so if they feel they want to occasionally post news or create an article on something they like, which happens to not be a RPG, they have my blessing.

For anyone who tries the demo we would love any feedback or criticism you may have for it.

Back
Top Bottom