Grotesque Tactics 2.99

curious

liberty or license
On the last day of the steam sale its 2.99 on the indie daily special.

... And I thought this was the version number of a new patch ...

Go buy it if you like a monthy python style turn based RPG and you can support the indies.

The next patch should be 1.1.6.0 ;P

The reviews are quite solid. It's probably worth the 3 bucks.

I would rather watch the grass grow than play again through this game or any games this developer deicides to release in the future. The jokes were dull and to add insult to injury the game has no RPG elements whatsoever. Worst game i ever bought without contest.

I see this completely different. But that is the fate of humorous titles and every comedy title. I love the jokes, you hate it. That's life, we won't marry. ;)
You played other SRPGs? It has RPG elements like other SRPGs. Less character development but lots of party members. That's the style of SRPGs.

If you want fantasy parody, then look out for the "Book Of Unwritten Tales" game !

It was a light fantasy strategy title w/ a few interesting environments to explore and battle in over a weekend. The "obsessions" system in which each character basically melts down when their self-obsession or other obsession maxes out is a nice touch.

I thought it was a fun game, and by the time it was getting a little stale it was over.

You played other SRPGs? It has RPG elements like other SRPGs. Less character development but lots of party members. That's the style of SRPGs.

I have played and enjoyed for example Gorky 17, Night Watch, Day Watch, Fallout Tactics, Jagged Alliance series, Silent Storm series, X-Com series and lately Battle for Wesnoth. Not much of a jrpg guy, so i haven't played those a whole lot aside from a few.
The tactics and character development aspects in each of these games were much stronger than in GT. In fact one could argue GT has no character develpment at all, because you can't influence it in any way whatsoever.
Lots of party members are clearly a pain to handle for the game engine. Most of the levels have several choke points, through which you must squeeze your party one or two at a time, while dreadful NPC pathfinding almost ensures, that half of your party will start in an awkward position far away from the main character when almost every battle starts. It gets really irritating babysitting your party all the time, trying to position them for the start of battles so that your tanks have any chance of reaching the enemy in a reasonable amount of turns.

I actually found that kinda enjoyable, it threw a little element of chance into the whole thing. Face it, the game was pretty easy. You could pretty much work things out, even on a tricky start.

The "RPG elements" are thematic only. There are only a couple abilities that each character will get whether you want or not, there's no choice involved, and there's really no choice but to go forward on a predetermined path otherwise. You cant even pick who's going to be in your crew. You can send them into battle kamikaze, then never rez them back at home base I suppose when and if you choose to include them again, but other then that your party is set.

Back
Top Bottom