"Nextgen" GPUs

Right now I am learning to survive with the video chip in my Skylake processor while I wait for this to sort out and most importantly, one of those rx480 or 1060's to be in stock. I see the scalpers are up to 499.00 on Amazon.
I bet I will be waiting til fall
By the way, 60 fps on Skyrim @ 1080p but not to many effects with the onboard chip.

Right now I am learning to survive with the video chip in my Skylake processor while I wait for this to sort out and most importantly, one of those rx480 or 1060's to be in stock. I see the scalpers are up to 499.00 on Amazon.
I bet I will be waiting til fall
By the way, 60 fps on Skyrim @ 1080p but not to many effects with the onboard chip.

You could buy a solid card for gaming while you wait and sell it again later. Something like a R9 280X 3 GB (-> looks pretty good compared to R9 380 and GTX 960) sells for ca. 100 - 120 EUR used nowadays.

Just not worth speculating until actual reviews come out. There's so many factors now that are giving different readings. DX11 vs DX12, Vulcan vs OpenGL, CPU and GPU pairings, certain effects like AA affect some brands in some games while not others, and some software just favors certain GPUs.

You could buy a solid card for gaming while you wait and sell it again later. Something like a R9 280X 3 GB (-> looks pretty good compared to R9 380 and GTX 960) sells for ca. 100 - 120 EUR used nowadays.

That's a good idea. I have a leftover 250 gts that no one wants in my house but I think it will be lacking.

That one is going to be interesting if DOOM is a trend… although, AMD said the improvements should be at 23-27% for the RX 480, these Germans are getting almost twice that.
Eurogamer did their test:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...n-patch-shows-game-changing-performance-gains

2popkx2.jpg

2v7xt3c.jpg

What I can see here?

AMD cards suck(ed) with OpenGL, probably bad driver or something, I mean look at that "low" number on Fury. Was it because cards were no can do, maybe AMD coders were lazy or AMD wanted to push Vulkan in the future by deliberately hurting the performance with OpenGL… Who cares really, the boost with Vulkan is fantastic.
With Vulkan RX 480 catches up with GTX 980 - for significantly lesser price!

Latest word from nVidia was that async compute support is missing from geForce drivers so no wonder switching on Vulkan didn't boost the performance on GTX cards much. What is nVidia waiting for isn't clear, but if someone thought RX 480 isn't currently the sweetspot, these pics should persuade into believing it.

I know one thing though, when it comes to buy a new card next month, my wallet will do the vote. If it was today, it'd be RX 480 definetly.

-

AMD, Firaxis and 2K announced today via press release that Civilization VI will feature full support for DirectX 12, Asynchronous Compute and Explicit Multi-Adapter features.
http://wccftech.com/amd-partners-fi...mpute-explicit-multi-adapter-civilization-vi/

Awsome news!
I wish.
Here's bet we won't see pairing of two cards from different manufacturers in tests because… Not everyone buys SLI or Crossfire capable cards, so those cards can't be used in pair under dx12 or vulkan, right? Multiadapter means something irrelevant.
Meh.

-

And now seriously.
Without going fanboy much, without taking AMD or nVidia side when it comes to power, performance, overheating, clocks, VRAM, etc.

Can you agree on the GPU wars winner with me?

The winner is PC. With AMD or nVidia inside, maybe with both, who cares, it's still the winner.
It'll be years till consoles can come even close to this.

Last edited:
It seems to me that AMD cards suffered a bit recently, because their cards were designed to favour the new APIs, perhaps a bit prematurely. It'll be very interesting to see how the coming high-end AMD cards compete in proper DX12/Vulkan games. I could even see them stealing the lead there.

If the price/performance of the Zen CPUs is right too, they could really be back in the game.

AMD OpenGL support was forced to 4.3 by DOOM, while Nvidia was at 4.5 (which is faster). The excuse from the Doom devs was a AMD driver bug. With the new patch AMD use OpenGL 4.5 now as well, so I guess that bug was fixed.

There was also some multi-core processors scaling improvements in the patch which might account why some people doing the tests see improvement on Nvidia cards while others don't. Some more test results from ComputerBase.de because why not.

The only thing a proper implementation of Vulkan shows is that game developers have a very hard time tapping into the full power of AMD GPUs in the previous API (DX11/OpenGL). Async Compute account only of about 10% of the performance increase (it's disabled when AA is enabled).

Last edited:
It seems to me that AMD cards suffered a bit recently, because their cards were designed to favour the new APIs, perhaps a bit prematurely. It'll be very interesting to see how the coming high-end AMD cards compete in proper DX12/Vulkan games. I could even see them stealing the lead there.

If the price/performance of the Zen CPUs is right too, they could really be back in the game.

Even their 8 core FX CPUs are enjoying an extended life since proper multicore support is getting better these days. Especially for the price (and overclocking ability):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6VAbHxzxM

So, here it goes, I ordered a new rig with the 1080 included, it'll arrive in about a week, here it goes ( might be a bit overkill I know, but I also use it for development and such ):

MB: MSI Z170-S02
Core i7, 6700K ( 4 GHZ )
Corsair H80 liqued cooler
GeForce GTX 1080
250 GB, SSD Samsungs 850-serien
3 000 GB ( secondary HD )
16 GB ( 2 x 8 GB ), DDR4 2133Mhz

Looking forward to see what that GTX 1080 can do, in this rig…

Looking forward to see what that GTX 1080 can do, in this rig…
My bet is you'll test that new machine the very first day with Star Wars: Battlefront.
Ultimate edition, ofc. imagine the epicness of the story that edition contains. :p

On a serious note, I love the liquid cooler addition. Oddly we never discuss them here, but we really should. Won't say those are a must, but we're in times where stock speeds reached their limits and the only way to grab some more Mhz is OC with an efficient cooler.

3 000 GB harddrive…How many games can you install on that?

As for liquid cooling, I think people don't really talk about it because few moved to it. From what I remember, it was kinda a pain to set up and keep clean a few years ago. Also, you need a case that support it.

I've been watercooling for years. Its great, enabling high voltages and overclocks. I was able to run my sandy bridge e at 5ghz ( after delliding it and replacing the TIM.) and currently run my haswell e @4.7. Could maybe get to 5 if I put some more time into it but the difference in performance really isn't worth it.

I think the prohibitive factor for most are cost, time and know how. My dual pump and radiator loop cost about $500 just for the core components and then $70-100 for cpu and gpu cooling blocks every time you upgrade. Then my particular set up is so big it required another case to house it in. So I bought thermaltake cases that are stackable put the cooling in one and the computer guts in the other and used koolance quick disconnects to join the two to make them easy to separate for future upgrading. The thing is a beast though, it's 2 foot deep by 1 1/2 ft wide by about 4 feet tall.

The benifits are obviously overclocking but what I like even better than that is with all SSD's my computer is completely silent. I have a couple 240mm fans @800rpms and the PSU fan which are only audible if you put your ear to the case.

Overall though considering the cost and hassle of setup, maintainence and upgrading a custom watercooling loop is probably not worth it. I do it as a hobby though and s such don't mind the downsides.

I think my next build it going to be petg tubing and a wall mounted PC. I've had several plans to do a wall mounted setup over the years but could never put together a plan I was happy with. With petg tubing and even some wall mounted open air cases available I think the time is soon.:)

Ordered my PC as well.
"Only" a gtx 1070 though (EVGA SC), which is already overkill for playing on 1080p. Doing a video about part selection but I am afraid it's going to be german only. ^^

You also need a VR headset. To play that game I would have to spend like $2000 Canadians.

and people complains about console prices…

Not only that, but look at all the space you need!!!

vrspace.jpg

How will I ever find that space when I live in a tree house?

On a serious note, I love the liquid cooler addition. Oddly we never discuss them here, but we really should. Won't say those are a must, but we're in times where stock speeds reached their limits and the only way to grab some more Mhz is OC with an efficient cooler.

What for though? Only about .00001% of games are CPU bound so squeezing the last drop of juice out of your CPU is rather pointless (unless GG needs this for her development stuff, of course).

As for noise, me as a silent freak has done quite extensive research and my findings are that every single all-in-one water cooling solution is more noisy than the top of the line air coolers (the main culprit is usually the pump).

So, unless you really need the very last MHz of CPU power, as a pure gamer, you are way better off with a decent silent air cooler (Noctua, Thermalright come to mind instantly).

That said, I also keep hoping for a killer water cooling set because I would really love to save the space. Those huge tower coolers are a little unwieldy but unfortunately there is nothing out there that would be a reasonable choice for a silent PC lover like myself.

Back
Top Bottom