iPad RPG

lostforever

SasqWatch
Can you guys recommend a good RPG for the ipad please? Currently I have the following

Avadon: The Black Fortress HD (can't get myself to play it. something about the graphics!)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Can you guys recommend a good RPG for the ipad please? Currently I have the following

Avadon: The Black Fortress HD (can't get myself to play it. something about the graphics!)

Depends on what you're into.

It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of the iPad as a serious gaming platform - but there are some RPGs that are fully playable and enjoyable.

KotOR is one of the best, but you already have that :)

I'd say Baldur's Gate EE is a decent port - if you can stand the touch interface. The Quest is another great old-school game - but it's not very pretty.

While not an RPG - I'd say X-Com has enough RPG elements to be a potential candidate, though it's obviously more of a strategy game.

As much as I'm not a iPad-as-a-gaming-platform fan, I have to say the new iPad Mini 2 sounds positively amazing :)

First of all you must know I despise phonegames.
Second you must know that I can't understand you're not playing old PC games on PC.

These two are not ports of any kind but are phonegames and I played them on iPhone so both should work on your iPad too:
- Chaos Rings 2 (by Square Enix, $17)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chaos-rings-ii-for-ipad/id495155111?mt=8
- Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden (by Gameloft, $7)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sacred-odyssey-rise-of-ayden/id421486612

And those two are the only *real* games among gazillion of phonegames junk I've tried. Expensive? If those were on PC, I wouldn't mind paying the full AAA price for them, yes they're that good. If only other phonegames were like these two, I wouldn't go loco everytime I see a phonegame hysteria.
Buy now.

After you finish them, if you find another gem like those two, please post about it because I'm done with exploring phonegames and wasting hundreds of hours, not to mention cash, trying to pinpoint another one worth playing.

I'd say give Avadon another chance since you already have it. That and the Avernums are solid games and work great on the iPad but there's little to choose from otherwise. The most recent one must be Shadowrun. There's Bard's Tale which includes the new one + the 2 classic ones and you can also get Ultima 4 for free I believe. There are some smaller ones too and you can get several JRPGs (including Final Fantasy 1 - 5 and FF Tactics).

The Phoenix Wright trilogy is really good value from a story line perspective. It is probably more adventure than rpg in that it doesn't really have much in the way of stats. They are ports from the DS. Free to download (trial) with reasonably priced IAP for each of the titles.

Ty scrav, just bought the phoenix wright ($5), don't care for demos or whatever. And it does look like an adventure, but as some quality one, not like those hiddenobject crap.

However, it says that the compatibility with iPad Air and iPad Mini (2nd gen) is currently being tested and it could happen that the game doesn't work as it should on those two devices so dunno, lostforever didn't say which iPad he uses.

Ty scrav, just bought the phoenix wright ($5), don't care for demos or whatever. And it does look like an adventure, but as some quality one, not like those hiddenobject crap.

However, it says that the compatibility with iPad Air and iPad Mini (2nd gen) is currently being tested and it could happen that the game doesn't work as it should on those two devices so dunno, lostforever didn't say which iPad he uses.

Was it the trilogy HD one that you downloaded?

I remember Capcom having 2 different versions, but I think (hopefully) they removed their legacy version.

I played the entire trilogy on my iPad 3, almost without any problems. I think I restart the app twice in the 30+ hour (it may have been longer than that) campaign.

As you know I use iPhone and the version states it's HD. There is also Free+ version, it's try-then-you-can-buy-full-game-from-within-the-application, but I bought the full version instantly.

The Phoenix Wright trilogy is universal despite it having "HD" on the title.
I played it on the iPad and it's definitely one of my most favorite games - good stories, great dialogs, solid and inventive mystery solving - thought it's definitely an adventure game and I don't see any RPG elements in it. The iPad may have few large scale games of most genres but adventure fans are in luck, lots of great old and new ones are available and they usually work really well.

Thanks all for the pointers.

I understand that ipad is not great for gaming but when you are "watching" The Great British Bake off with the wife, you need something to amuse yourself hence my quest for find some games to play on the iPad!

It doesn't really have to be an RPG but a any type of game will do preferably with good graphics!

I have iPad Air.

Well if it doesn't have to be an RPG I'd say that my favorites are King of Dragon Pass (which is actually superior to the pc version) and, yeah, Phoenix Wright - although both of them are kind of 'different' in the graphics department (to the point of their visuals being considered illustrations rather than graphics)

If you'd like an adventure… have you played the Walking Dead yet? The first episode's free.
There are a lot more good ones to choose from. Check out Adventure Gamers

If you want a good looking time-killer you could try one of the Infinity Blades (they are often on sale and go free from time to time) they are as visually impressive as it gets on the iPad, they have some RPG elements but they are completely shallow though entertaining enough and rather addictive.

Last edited:
@lostforever, same here only my wife watches jamie oliver.

I found bastion amusing, not an rpg though.
Kotor and baldurs gate are nice, and currently i am playing ascension and eclipse, sort of boardgames. Pretty nice.

Also i enjoyed duels of the planeswalker.

Thanks once again all for the updates. ascension and eclipse looks interesting I will try them out.

I am right now hooked on Risk right now! simple game but lot of fun.

The Ipad is at it's best when playing board games and card games because it's interface perfectly simulates moving cards/pieces around, arguably better then a PC does. I also strongly recommend Ascension, you could also try out Ghost Story or some of the other co-op board games which generally translate very well into single player games.

RPGs are not really the Ipad's strong point, because most RPGs benefit more from a PC interface.

Currently I've been enjoying Marvel Puzzle Quest, although it does suffer from being freemium. But I've still had a lot of fun with it without paying anything, and I think it's the best take on match 3 RPG mechanics that I've seen (I guess it's kind of weird that this is a genre).

better then a PC does

Nothing does games better than PC.
There was a time though when Amiga did things better, but commodore "forgot" to invest into new technologies and was eaten by the open architecture.

Now that's hardware I'm talking about. When we move to software the most important example is Interplay story. They didn't just sit on a good product doing nothing and cashing it in for eternity, but invested into dumbed down consolegames. Unlike them, EA invested (and still is) into PC Sims, Bethesda invested into PC ElderScrolls, Ubisoft invested into PC M&M series, PC FarCry and etc etc. Phonegames? Can't wait the moment that the current hit baloon bursts and drags all stupid CEOs to oblivion.

I'm said that, in my opinion, the touch screen interface of the Ipad is the superior format for electronic card and board games. I'm not really sure how your response relates to that.

Nothing does games better than PC.
There was a time though when Amiga did things better, but commodore "forgot" to invest into new technologies and was eaten by the open architecture.

Now that's hardware I'm talking about. When we move to software the most important example is Interplay story. They didn't just sit on a good product doing nothing and cashing it in for eternity, but invested into dumbed down consolegames. Unlike them, EA invested (and still is) into PC Sims, Bethesda invested into PC ElderScrolls, Ubisoft invested into PC M&M series, PC FarCry and etc etc. Phonegames? Can't wait the moment that the current hit baloon bursts and drags all stupid CEOs to oblivion.

Thanks all for the pointers.

I understand that ipad is not great for gaming but when you are "watching" The Great British Bake off with the wife, you need something to amuse yourself hence my quest for find some games to play on the iPad!

It doesn't really have to be an RPG but a any type of game will do preferably with good graphics!

I have iPad Air.

The best game I've found so far on iPad is King Of Dragon Pass. It's a very unique game, not strictly an RPG, perhaps more of a strategy game, but full of RPG elements and curious events. This works really well on iPad as the controls aren't that different from a board game and as fadedc says iPad is ideal for that type of game.

Edit: Credits to Holeraw for mentioning this earlier

P.S. I quite enjoy the great British Bake Off!?

Definitely get King of Dragon Pass. I haven't played it on ipad, but I've played it for hours on pc.

Back
Top Bottom