Sacred 2 - Review @ GamePyre

Dhruin

SasqWatch
While the focus is probably the console version these days, GamePyre has a review of the PC version of Sacred 2, with a score of 84%. Here's their conclusion:
Sacred 2 is a game that I will be playing for a while. It fits my need for a new RPG and it adds something different to the genre. The unique characters and the ability to use mounts for fighting and not just riding, makes Sacred 2 slightly different then the standard role playing game. The characters are detailed. The game reminds me a lot of Diablo II in terms of game feel, but adds a more complicated leveling up system like that of the older Baulder's Gate series. The game is enormous in size and story. It can take Sacred 2 with PhysX adds an ambiance to a game that until this point, I have yet to experience in a game.
More information.

The game reminds me a lot of Diablo II in terms of game feel, but adds a more complicated leveling up system like that of the older Baulder's Gate series.
That sounds like a bit of a leap. Whatever you want to say about D&D's character level system, one thing you can't say about it is that it's been widely copied in CRPGs. It's so complex and convoluted and more than a little arbitrary, especially in the earlier versions. I'd be surprised to learn that Sacred 2 appropriates much of that system.

AD&D 2E wasn't all that complex, especially the variant used in BG. Let's see: 6 attributes, four skills for Thieves and some weapon proficiencies. And, of course, a bazillion of spells, but only spellcasters had to deal with that. Overall, once you picked a class the customization was almost over, unless you count items. Video games based on D&D 3.5 are significantly more elaborate.

You forgot the arcane multi- and dual-classing rules. And, of course, the spells are still a big barrier to a newbie, since you will have a spellcaster or two regardless of what your party is.

As for Sacred, yeah, it's a fairly comprehensive system (which is a big plus in my book).

Back
Top Bottom