Deus Ex 3 - Feature Summary

I played Invisible War and wondered what all the fuss was about. Felt very cold to me. I'd like to give the series another shot, though.

Most of the "fuss" concerning Invisible War was of the negative variety, at least from PC gamers. Compared to its prequel, it was very disappointing.

Have you ever played Deus-Ex?

Most of the "fuss" concerning Invisible War was of the negative variety, at least from PC gamers. Compared to its prequel, it was very disappointing.

Have you ever played Deus-Ex?

No, and that's what I meant by my "what's all the fuss?" reaction. I had heard Deus Ex's praises sung as the release of Invisible War approached, but the experience of Invisible War itself was nothing special. It seemed to be a technically polished but emotionally sterile game. So I wondered, "What's all the fuss about this franchise? Big deal." Of course, I later came to understand that the sequel was a great disappointment for fans of the original game and did not live up to that original game's spirit.

Maybe the 3rd one will get back on track, and I'll be able to see what "all the fuss" is really about.

If you can stand the aging 3D graphics, it (the original) is a game worth going back to.

Guys, Anderson is a console gamer, he'll have to wait for part 3 and hope it's like part 1. Telling him to play Deus Ex is probably like telling me "play Shadow of the Colossus or ICO!" — I want to, but I can't. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Arhu. That's right, guys, I'm a console-only gamer. (edit: I'll make that my avatar subtitle, to avoid having to explain it so much).

He'll have to wait for part 3 and hope it's like part 1.

Yup. :)

A sidenote — I believe Deus Ex actually was ported to the PS2. I assume it's inferior to the PC version, though. (I don't own a PS2.)

Last edited:
Eidos has a chance to do something great here, which they will be rightfully rewarded for with great press and sales if they just take the time to get it right.

The opposite is obviously true too, as what happens when you take a great game like DX and turn out a sequel like DX2, game and their sales get ripped by the fans and media.

You never want your fans to turn on you, a developer can survive without the media, but not fanbase.

Eidos has a chance to do something great here, which they will be rightfully rewarded for with great press and sales if they just take the time to get it right.

The opposite is obviously true too, as what happens when you take a great game like DX and turn out a sequel like DX2, game and their sales get ripped by the fans and media.

You never want your fans to turn on you, a developer can survive without the media, but not fanbase.

These days, games don't create fanbases - the media does.

i except nothing.

thers allways a million promises in front, but then its ALLWAYS dissapointment.

Guys, Anderson is a console gamer, he'll have to wait for part 3 and hope it's like part 1. Telling him to play Deus Ex is probably like telling me "play Shadow of the Colossus or ICO!" — I want to, but I can't. ;)

Oh, somehow I always assume that people posting on the internet own or have access to either a PC or a Mac, and RPGwatch is a pretty PC-centric site on top. So I assumed he'd own at least a laptop that more than likely would run it just fine.
But I know how you're feeling about SoC - always wanted to play that myself.

Oh, somehow I always assume that people posting on the internet own or have access to either a PC …

Just to clarify, I own a PC, I just don't like gaming on it. I spend a lot of my work time on a PC, and coming home and getting on a PC for gaming just doesn't feel right. Plus I'm so used to a controller, I would have a hard time making the transition to using the keyboard for movement, etc.

There's something about coming to this site though, that keeps pushing me toward trying PC gaming. So I might give it a try sometime.

It's my understanding that the controllers will work on a pc too; is this incorrect? As a pc gamer, I don't own a joystick/controller. If I was into action games I might try it.

If you really wanted to play Dues Ex (and you should really want to play it) then any half-modern PC will do. It runs on netbooks. It's definitely worth it. You have nothing to lose but $10 on Steam.

Nearly all games are released on consoles now, if that's what you're comfortable with and used to, then you're not missing out on all that much. Mods, mainly. DA would be horrible without mouse and keyboard, and with an enforced over the shoulder view. And if you think couch-gaming is good, then just try bed-gaming. Passable gaming laptops can be had for quite cheap these days.

Trust me, once you get used to keyboard+mouse, there's no going back. :)

I like the feel of a controller, especially the 360 controller, which imo is excellent. I might try a PC game eventually, but it'll be an effort to retrain my brain. You guys use your left hands and wasd (is that it?) to move your characters, in coordination with a mouse? That's crazy talk.

It's my understanding that the controllers will work on a pc too; is this incorrect? As a pc gamer, I don't own a joystick/controller. If I was into action games I might try it.

I might be wrong about this, but I believe the game has to be under the Games for Windows umbrella, in order for me to use a controller (or maybe that's just a 360 controller). My understanding is, only a small subset of games are under that umbrella, not most of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And then, I don't know if the game has to be compatible with Windows Vista (my OS) or not. So many questions.

If you really wanted to play Dues Ex (and you should really want to play it) then any half-modern PC will do. It runs on netbooks. It's definitely worth it. You have nothing to lose but $10 on Steam.

Well, if I do decide to wade into the shallow end of the PC gaming pool, I will probably not go with Deus Ex, simply because my experience with Invisible War was sort of "meh." I'd probably start with one of the old school RPGs I hear so much about — Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate, something like that.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I might be wrong about this, but I believe the game has to be under the Games for Windows umbrella, in order for me to use a controller (or maybe that's just a 360 controller). My understanding is, only a small subset of games are under that umbrella, not most of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That is only if you want to do things the easy way ... :D

How do you think folks managed before GfWL? There are resourceful folks who make drivers - heck, that is how I use my X360 controller on the Mac!

There's a large variety of game controllers for PC, and many of them are fully programmable, meaning you don't need your game to be 'Games for Windows'. I really like the Logitech brand personally. I'm not sure about the 360 controller though, I've never liked it myself.

The thing is however, you won't use a controller for *every* PC game, many of them are simple enough so you don't need one. Also, If you can train yourself to play first-person games with a keyboard+mouse, I guarantee that you'll prefer that over a gamepad, once you get used to it. The transition doesn't take as long as you think.

Back
Top Bottom