The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Yes, could be.
However, I'm off for today anyway - a museum in Bonn (former capital of Germany) has its free day !

Uninstall and reinstall DDO and be sure to grab the low resolution download. Make sure you have DX 9 or 11 set but not 10. Make sure you have newest drivers for both graphics and sound. I had issues when my sound drivers were outdated, causes video to hang and game to lock up.
Hope you get it all sorted soon.

Hm, good idea, that thing with the reinstall. Will try it out tomorrow.

I ran DDO with an 8600GTS for a good while. I was using the lo-res installation and had to keep the video options about "half-mast" in order to keep things manageable. There were a couple maps (The snow map in Reavers, in particular) that were completely unplayable with that card. That card was a real warhorse for me, but the bottom line is that it's (and for that matter, your 9600 that you came from) really really long in the tooth.

Not throwing stones, because my rig is nearly 5 years old now and starting to become a problem. Just giving you an idea of reasonable expectations since I've been there.

I didn't even start DDO with my PC from 2007 because I wanted everything to run smoothly.
My current "gaming PC" os from 2009 or 2011, but I don't really have a clue about what's inside (I really need to catalogize [hey, inventing new words is fun ! :D ] it !) because I had once received it as a present.

I don't think a game can physically destroy a graphics card. Graphics cards have security features inside that will lock the card if the temperature on the GPU becomes too high.

If you run the card with too high settings the card will lock up frequently, but it will not permanently destroy the card. If you set the graphics detail too high in games on a slow graphics card then you will see a very low fps (frames per second). The game will feel laggy and be unplayable.

Graphics cards have a life span so if you run on it for some years the components will start to fail. E. g. I have used up 2 ATI HD5970. Each lasted a little less than 3 years before I got artifacts and some lock-ups. The reason was that memory blocks were starting to fail.

An Nvidia 8600GS is a very old card. How long has the card been used prior to you getting it?

I don't know how long it has been used. Ciould have been a while.
Usually, all of my cards last very long, because O don't overtact them or so. I usually don't play graphics-intensive games like shooters, either.

My theory right now is that it because stuck in a process and then everything just overheated.

And this morning my second card froze during normal Win XP use, too !

I have filed a ticket to Turbine. I really want this to get sorted out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293078/en-us

Pop this over to the tech help support thread here on the watch. Anyone not playing DDO might not see the questions. We have a lot of knowledgeable people on the Watch, might get some other ideas of what to check out.

Well, okay, but the card shows these symptoms even outside of DDO now - it did so this morning.

So it's permanently damaged now as well - or it is the mainboard - or its cooler.

Either way, this means quite a lot of money for me.

... And I don't know if there would be a way to repair it ...

Repairing old components is not worthwhile. New computers are not expensive anymore and it's usually cheaper to buy a new one than repair an old one.

I would check the heat sink on your CPU chip on the motherboard, a lot of the Intel type heat sinks if that's what you're running sometimes have a tendency to get loose, and thus can cause all sorts of issues. You could purchase some cheap thermal cooling paste as well, and apply it to the cpu chip then re-attach the heat sink too. My PC was doing similar things a while back and upon frustration took the whole thing a part, and in the process noticed the heat sink had become loose. I'd also check all the cards are attached correctly to the board, if you've tried two different graphics cards, I would rule that out, unless the socket on the motherboard is damaged. Also suggest removing the RAM from the motherboard and just blowing on the sockets incase dust is in there and then push them back in. I'm only just thinking off the top of my head

Last edited:
Okay, now I have at least a reply :

Greetings ,

Thank you for your inquiry. Heat issues with the 8xxx and 9xxx series of Nvidia Geforce cards are somewhat common because these video cards were usually 'factory overclocked'. This resulted in better performance for the cards, but also increased stress on them. Eventually age and dust or other airflow restrictions can make it more difficult for your card to disperse heat. When this happens, if your video card overheats, it can cause permanent damage to the video card making it less able to disperse heat or rendering it unusable. New updates sometimes bring new graphical features which put further stress on your video card, but more often new updates bring higher numbers of players to the game servers. When this happens, your video card has to display more character models and textures in public areas which places further stress on the video card and can result in overheating if your videocard is not dispersing heat well or correctly.

While we are sorry to hear about your situation, this could have happened with any game that was demanding on your video card. We would recommend periodically cleaning out your system case and fans to make sure your system has good airflow, and periodically checking the temperature (via your video card utility typically) of your video card to avoid this problem in the future. Additionally, we would not recommend overclocking your video card. If you purchase any video cards in the future, you may want to check whether these are 'factory overclocked' as well. If so, we would recommend reducing the clock speed to the speed recommended by your manufacturer to reduce stress on the card and lower the risk of overheating.

Good news, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by not switching to Geiko. Also, I will be out for the next couple of weeks on Fridays. My shift is being dissolved into goo, and I'm going to 3rd shift weekend 5a to 5p. However, the usual shift change will occur first of next month, so I'll be back on Monday shift in a short while. So this is a good time to get the 18-19 group to 20.

*Edit* It just dawned on me that this will be 3rd shift, so I'll be late, and won't be able to pull a all nighter, but should be able to run some, say until 9 or so.

Last edited:
Looks like we'll be REALLY short on the 14th since Trev and I will also be missing. Might want to consider what to run before then.

Back
Top Bottom