Thorvalla - Update #4, The Story of Thorvalla

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In update 4 of Thorvalla (33K, 26 days to go), Guido Henkel tells the tale of Thorval Ironsky and the birth of Thorvalla.
The First Chief, god king, the sea thief, the founder of the Thorvallian city-states. In the rest of the world he is considered the Reaver, the Snowfist, Father of Dragons.

The people of Thorvalla believe that once all the world was green and lush, but it was ruled by monstrous snakes, and that they preyed on the men who cowered in all the low places in the world. With the coming of every new moon, men brought before them their newborn babes in swaddling, the third of their households, so that they could be consumed in tribute. And so the legend tells that upon the new moon of the fourth month, Thorval was laid up on the Bloodstone of Aing as a sacrifice.
And so there came first a young serpent, and it attempted to seize Thorval in his teeth, but his fangs snapped off as he tried to bite into the infant, and so was he thus repulsed.
Then came to the child another serpent even larger, and it too bit down upon the child’s stony flesh and broke it’s teeth, but still it held the child fast, hoping to drench him in it’s poisonous issue. But young Thorval merely laughed and drank down the serpent’s vile mile, and he in turn bit the snake back, and there it fell dead before the stone.
Enraged, the greatest of all snakes rose before Thorval and swallowed the child whole, and for a time all believed the wondrous event had come to a tragic end for the child. But the great serpent began to writhe and hiss, and the ground beneath its coils shook with it’s anguished fury. Blood boiled on its lips, and fire ignited from its mouth. Thunder came from it’s belly, a fearsome bellow the like of which had never been heard before, and at last the great serpent vomited out the child and fled into the Great Desert. And thus was Thorval spared of sacrifice, the rite of the thirdborn ended, and the close of the Scaleage begun.
Read more on the Kickstarter page.
More information.

I'm interested to see what else Neal can come up with for this game. The story seems interesting so far. Sad the kickstarter seems stalled. This kickstarter started off ok(really needed a bigger start though to be ideal)and might have had a chance to succeed if they could have kept that momentum and built upon it with the updates, but seems as soon as really negative comments started showing up on the kickstarter page, pledges started dropping significantly. Seems the harsh/negative comments do turn backers away from backing a project.
As a sidenote, update #5 is up now. The decision to go with 2.5D was a bit of a disappointment to me, I was hoping for full 3D. Still, not a dealbreaker for me if the gameplay is good.

Back
Top Bottom