Obsidian Entertainment - MMORPG Skyforge

The original Allods MMO was quite promising until the publisher gpotato added a swingeing pay to win cash shop at launch. That somewhat tempers my interest in this new game, even if they do manage to pull something interesting off, which they may well do.

What's clear is that Obsidian can't have a major role in the design of Skyforge, since it's pegged for release in 2014 and has already been in development since 2010. Perhaps what they could do is add some western cred to it - the devs have to move away from using publishers like gpotato if it's going to fulfill any potential it might have.

As someone mentioned before it pays the bills. It's also good training for future games that have multiplayer.

I'm quite happy they get to pay the bills. I just find it strange that Obsidian would find work with a Russian MMO developer. Just seems like a strange association to me.

Is this were they use the money they earned from Project Eternity?
I don't that their kickstarter funders will take that fraud kindly.

Some nice environments, but the combat and the whole art style.... Wonder what Obsidians role is?
Ah well, I hope PE will sell like hotcakes so they don't heave to do stuff like this anymore...

This is blasphemy! Now where did I put my torch? :)

Kidding of course. Interesting news. Let's see what will come from this partnership.

Some nice environments, but the combat and the whole art style…. Wonder what Obsidians role is?
Ah well, I hope PE will sell like hotcakes so they don't heave to do stuff like this anymore…

Eh, I really doubt they HAD to do this. They are financially in a better position than ever and have several contracts at the moment. Not to mention I doubt they were looking for work at helping out a russian mmo company. What's more plausible is, that they were contacted by mail.ru\allods team and they thought. Why not? It only brings experience and money, doesn't need too much resources on their side.

They are not that anti-mmo in the first place, plenty of devs worked on them before (as mentioned before both Mask of the Betrayer Leads started out with them and ziets has contributed to just as many single player RPGs as mmo's.) they even stated they would be interested in making their very own as a future project, but no publisher would sign off of their ideas.

Back
Top Bottom