Gothic 3 The Very First Try

Similar with G3 up into higher levels, give it a try. The gothics are easy once mastered. G3 archery is second to none.
I love archery in games, I loved it in G1 and 2. But the hero in G3 is holding the bow incorrectly, is he not? He's holding it like a crossbow, and I don't like crossbows. Yeah, I know, that's a silly argument, but it counts for me and is part of the reason why I haven't even tried the game yet (the other reasons probably have been fixed since the community releases). Archery in WoW was the same. Male elves? Same as G3, yuck (and they looked funny). Female elves? Beautiful posture.

I rejoiced in glee when I saw a video of Risen in which the hero was holding a bow in a normal way.

Gothic 2: Gold is one of the most difficult RPGs you'll come across. If The Witcher is too hard, you should avoid G2:G.

Also, the solution to the bandit cave is to talk to Cavalorn, who you bump into prior to getting to the cave (he will follow you into the cave and kill the bandits for you). If Cavalorn is not there, you're not playing the Gold version; you're playing the regular one. The regular one is:
- Not as good overall; missing quite some content.
- Significantly easier.

Hope that helps. Oh, and as Wulf mentioned, the Gothic games all start out very hard but get easier once you get the hang of it. Higher skill levels in the various abilities will help out a lot.

So just why does archery get easier as you go to higher levels?

When the critical strike skill (master archer) is aquired it becomes possible to kill an opponent with one shot if you strike the head. Using a Goblin as an example, with the bow armed and the target highlighted - if you step backward gradually until the goblin disappears, you will notice that the target focus is still highlighted (yes, you can still shoot at the target!) now come slightly closer so that the target is *faintly* semi-visible. Take the projected aim so that "V" cursor is slowly lifted above the target just to where it goes to a smaller in size, you are now assumedly out of visible focus - but because you have this critical skill the trajectory flight path becomes self-aligning…"automatic" and because you appear to be beyond calculation, in actual fact you are not, the arrow will strike the highest tip of the target….the head, one shot and *dead* also the others of the bunch will not be aware of this, they only become aware if the struck opponent is aware.
Now, if you try the above sequence again but go even higher with the smaller "v" cursor - release the arrow and carefully watch the flight path! - you will actually see the arrow *kick-in* to alignment automatically - you will see the arrow change course and strike the target, this effect is best noticed when shooting to your viewed left of the target - all this in G3 and with the necessary skills.
In effect, at higher bow skill levels the trajectory is no longer a single line - it is a obtuse angled *invisible cone* which goes wider toward the target - within limits you cannot miss the target. I noticed this more so with the 1.70 community patch. Call it newbie hand-holding if you like (of course it is) but it is more of a "perk"- a gained expert advantage. With the gentle draw and release sounds of the Silent death bow, hunting doesn't come any better. Same again with skellies - two fire arrows and they are a pile of bones (and they aren't even aware!)

Last edited:
They archery is better in number 3 because you have more control over it, at least that's what I think Wulf wanted to express. (I feel quite similar about that)

Yes you have control but it is still bad , i couldn't even hit a nearby Orc in the starting village...
Bows are made to be used vertically , i don't know what they were thinking ...

Gothic 2: Gold is one of the most difficult RPGs you'll come across. If The Witcher is too hard, you should avoid G2:G.

Also, the solution to the bandit cave is to talk to Cavalorn, who you bump into prior to getting to the cave (he will follow you into the cave and kill the bandits for you). If Cavalorn is not there, you're not playing the Gold version; you're playing the regular one. The regular one is:
- Not as good overall; missing quite some content.
- Significantly easier.

Hope that helps. Oh, and as Wulf mentioned, the Gothic games all start out very hard but get easier once you get the hang of it. Higher skill levels in the various abilities will help out a lot.

Thank you, yes it was this guy who lead me to the cave but i still got 1 blow unconscious :) , if i ever install the game again i will let him do all the job while i run around .

Game wouldn't be so hard if they had a more simplistic battle approach.

Re:--> Yes you have control but it is still bad , i couldn't even hit a nearby Orc in the starting village…
It isn't bad at all, it is restricted that way for a purpose, it's because you don't get the kill orc skill (archery) until you advance bow skills further in the game, instead you have by default at the beginning, the orc slayer enhanced sword.

Re:--> Game wouldn't be so hard if they had a more simplistic battle approach.
There is no battle approach, by design the game can be completed without battle interaction by other possible methods.

Re:--> Bows are made to be used vertically , i don't know what they were thinking …
This has already been mentioned, it is the only way you can play, take it or leave it.

It isn't bad at all, it is restricted that way for a purpose, it's because you don't get the kill orc skill (archery) until you advance bow skills further in the game, instead you have by default at the beginning, the orc slayer enhanced sword.

No i mean i couldn't hit the Orc not kill it , i wouldn't mind if damage was 1 or 2 points (low bow skill in mount & blade i am currently playing means that you have to turn an opponent into a christmas tree before he falls dead ) , this RPG wise is realistic but my arrows flying over his head or sideways all the time was a bit dull .

No i mean i couldn't hit the Orc not kill it , i wouldn't mind if damage was 1 or 2 points (low bow skill in mount & blade i am currently playing means that you have to turn an opponent into a christmas tree before he falls dead ) , this RPG wise is realistic but my arrows flying over his head or sideways all the time was a bit dull .

Tragos, what you're saying is ABSOLUTELY NOT realistic -> It's more realistic for ANY game, if you miss then turning some enemy in a porcupine before you can kill him. And when you miss in Gothic 3 it's because you couldn't aim -> I could use my bow at level 0, so it's nothing gamewise related rather personrelated.

Tragos, what you're saying is ABSOLUTELY NOT realistic -> It's more realistic for ANY game, if you miss then turning some enemy in a porcupine before you can kill him. And when you miss in Gothic 3 it's because you couldn't aim -> I could use my bow at level 0, so it's nothing gamewise related rather personrelated.

Well , i am playing archer like characters in TES games , HnS titles , mount&blade and i can hit (character related or person related depends on the game) , there is nothing wrong with my eyes :)
Yes probably i can not aim in Gothic because having a "v" instead of a reticle isn't helping .

@Tragos:
Did you take into account that the arrow in G3 doesn't fly in a straight line, but in a parabola like in real physics?

I can't believe what I'm reading about the archery here.. Gothic, to me, -is the series for archery. I normally prefer magic and melee in my games- hate archery for various reasons, but in the Gothics I use it to a very large extent, since I found that that was the best way to survive, especially against packs of beasts who tend to evade and jump away when you are using melee against them (not to mention that they also gang up on you and kill you very quickly :p)

Sorry Tragos, but it might have helped if you'd read your manual - then you would have known from the beginning, that arrows from bows do follow a parabola like bkreuger mentioned, while bolts from crossbows shoot straight. I love all 3 Gothic games, and never ever did I run out of bolts or arrows, in spite of me using them a LOT.

Sure, the bow with a parabolic curve does create a bit of a learning curve, but some of us do prefer having a bit of challenge in our games. I suppose the player skill needed for this does push Gothic more towards the "action" genre, but still, I like the realism and the challenge involved.

Originally Posted by ScOut3R
Yes, too bright and too colorful at the same time. I know that this is Myrtana, a continent and not an island but still G1 and G2 was much darker in mood, setting and textures. I miss these from G3.
Hm, have you got the US or the European version? Apparently Americans prefer brighter colours, so for many games they make the US version with brighter colours.

I don't know if they did this for G3, but I know they are doing it for G4/Arcania. So if, like me, you prefer more subtle hues and darker colours, try to get hold of the European versions of games. My Gothic 3 is the European version, and I think it looks lovely, and compares very well with the first 2 games.

Re the easy Orcs… LOL, yes I was amazed at how weak (not to mention the different look) Orcs had suddenly become in G3, but in the end I decided it might have something to do with that Orcslayer sword you start the game out with…. :D

Back
Top Bottom