Original Sin - Quickest Selling Game for Larian

aries100

SasqWatch
Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies since its release on June 30th 2014. In the words of Swen Vincke, the leader of Larian Studio:

It's doing pretty well," Vincke said. "We're very happy about it. And to be honest we didn't expect it. We thought it was going to do well but not this well. "It's definitely the fastest-selling game we've ever published. The last figures I saw we were at 160,000. For us that's pretty good. We're definitely going to break even and hopefully we'll make sufficient profit for our next game."
Swen Vincke concludes:

It's word of mouth that is driving Original Sin right now," Vincke said. "We were late with our game, working on it until the last day, so we don't even have reviews out there.
More information.

But, but... it's turn based! It can't sell!

Well, he says it's the quickest selling game they've ever published. I'm not sure that includes games they developed but didn't publish...?

Anybody know who's making the collectors box editions and where they'd be shipping from.

I check my account on larian vault a few days ago and it said they shipped but no kind of tracking or way to verify. Checked today and it doesn't say anything about it.

I assume they've shipped and I don't expect that it would arrive so quickly I'm just wondering if anyone has any info about it.

@sakichop: No idea, dude, but if it is somehow a comforting thought for you: I ain't got mine either yet ;) .

Anybody know who's making the collectors box editions and where they'd be shipping from.

I check my account on larian vault a few days ago and it said they shipped but no kind of tracking or way to verify. Checked today and it doesn't say anything about it.

I assume they've shipped and I don't expect that it would arrive so quickly I'm just wondering if anyone has any info about it.

Larian said in a vidieo interview that the boxed games would be shiping after the release patch was ready so it will be a few days after release, but you would still have the codes to down load and play the game until your disk arrives.

Thanks guys.

yes, I have many codes as I backed the kickstarter and the watch fundraiser. I was just curious about the boxed versions.

No. You should have backed it

From my limited time with the game, it seems to be one of the best Kickstarters - and just about the only one that's not a disappointment on some level.

I'm even starting to dig the humor - though I'm still not pleased with the sneaking thing.

But it's a wonderful thing to behold - this Kickstarter model working and doing what we've all been hoping it would do.

Enabling artists to do art.

Whatever (high) spot on steam it got onto, it's well deserved.
More I play it, more I love it. It's one of those games you just want to see what's next.

From my limited time with the game, it seems to be one of the best Kickstarters - and just about the only one that's not a disappointment on some level.

I'm even starting to dig the humor - though I'm still not pleased with the sneaking thing.

I wonder if that's easily moddable. Though it doesn't bother me, I'm sure a good % of players will not like it.

Almost 20,000 people have received the game for 10$ IIRC.
No. :)

Minimum pledge for a copy of the game was $25, which was selected by "only" 7,500 backers. So ~12,000 pledeged even more. For pledging more than $40 you got 2 copies, which was done by ~11,000.

So finally by Kickstarter they "sold" ~30,000 copies for ~$950,000, which is ~$32 in average.

So I think it's ok to include these 30,000 copies in overall sold units. ;)

I wonder if that's easily moddable. Though it doesn't bother me, I'm sure a good % of players will not like it.

If they can use some of the other animations as assets, it shouldn't be that hard - but I'm not sure. Haven't looked into the editor aspect of the game.

But, so far, it's the only thing that's truly bothered me about the game.

That said, I've only spent a few hours on it. I'll wait a few weeks.

I managed to distract myself from Witcher 2 - and now I'm having a surprisingly good time with Shadowrun Returns, which I'd written off as "too little".

The writing is surprisingly engaging, but I'm digressing.

Although it's OT: The Dragonfall campaign is a lot better than Dead Man's Switch. So if you like the base game you can really look forward to the expansion.

Although it's OT: The Dragonfall campaign is a lot better than Dead Man's Switch. So if you like the base game you can really look forward to the expansion.

I've heard that, which was the primary reason I started with the first one :)

But I'm strangely enjoying the streamlined and straightforward approach, and I think the main reason I originally dropped it was the lack of a save function.

This is nearly perfect for a quick snack - and the RPG system, as super simplistic as it is, is still kinda fun in an old-fashioned way.

I'd call it innocent fun which has made me accept its limitations by being so upfront about them :)

The default of Larian Vault, they don't have tracking id (yet). I actually did ask when I bought the Anthology last year and it was shipped but I had no way of knowing where it was. You can always send them a support question about it.

Back
Top Bottom