Can't post new polls

lackblogger

SasqWatch
I had what I thought was a good idea for a new Poll today, but then found out random joes can't add new threads to the Polls forum. I guess this stops people posting 10 polls per day and adds a sense of interest and longevity to the current poll, but with couch rescinding polling duties, which mod is now boss of the polls (that I could PM the idea to)?

You can create polls in other sections than the comments section

You can. But they're not really as... interesting (?)... if you do that. The polls on the polls forum are like monthly treasures rather than abstract polls of random disinterest.

If you want it there, you can send in your request and perhaps it makes it to the front page and thus also the polls forum

I've since had a second excellent idea. What I'll do is post them both to this thread and maybe others could post poll ideas to this thread - maybe this could be the official poll suggestion thread or something (cunning angling for a sly sticky, would need a thread re-title though)? Lol. Then the relevant admins could pick one they feel is apt for the site, or at least gather some interesting inspiration.

The current poll is excellent, but was released a couple of weeks to early IMO, because that one's kind-of 'getting old' but we're still 9 days to the release of Witcher 3 and then we'll have another 3 weeks of strong interest in Witcher 3, but nothing you can really poll about it in that medway time.

Anyway, my two poll ideas, in no particular order, are as follows (maybe for one-day if the timing is wrong for the next 30/40 days):

1. What's your favourite Bioware RPG franchise?

- Balder's Gate
- Neverwinter Nights
- Star Wars
- Jade Empire
- Mass Effect
- Dragon Age
- I have to pick? That sucks, I love them all equally
- Never managed to get into a full franchise, just the odd game here or there
- I don't really care for anything Bioware

First post flavour text:

Hypothetical: You've won a competition on the Bioware forums and the prize is a load of free keys (or discs/points/whatever) for the entire said franchise, posters, figurines, signed original art, a dedicated named main-plot NPC in the next game of that franchise (imagine they are making it, even if that's a fantastical idea) etc etc etc - reason for you to define your favourite rather than be vague and wishy-washy, basically.

You might think this is silly, everyone would choose Balder's Gate. But would they? When considering the entire franchise? I know I wouldn't. Now that we've had a distinct 'age' of all the above franchises it would be cool to see where the lay of the land is currently. I did a search of 'bioware' in the polls forum and I don't believe such a question has been asked before.

2. How many RPGs would you like to play every year?

- One amazing quality RPG a year, for my purposely booked holiday
- 2-3 polished RPGs a year would keep me a happy camper
- 4-6 decent products would suit me, just one every other month
- 7-12 is what I need, I need something new of varied quality almost every month
- 13-24 as I'm pretty darn hardcore/addicted and quality is only a bonus
- 25+ I couldn't live without a new RPG being permanently in my hype-mind

First post flavour text:

What makes for a serious RPG enthusiast? It's a question everyone will ask themselves at some point - "Why am I interested in putting forward my opinions on RPGs? What makes me a better judge of the state and out-put of the industry than the guy/gal I disagree with?" It's the ol' quality or quantity debate really - do you despair every-time you play a game and find it needs too much patching to be fun, or do you despair that people should just pump out games and stop worrying about whether everyone will cope with the inevitable issues?

Over-saturation has the misfortune of 'hiding' quality among a pile of spam-hype, but too much quality pedantry generates a cloud of progressive negativity as disappointments start stacking up quickly. What do you think would make for an ideal RPG customer market from your point of view? If a glorious fantasy perfection existed, what kind of cRPG out-put (and site coverage) do you think makes for the sign of a 'healthy' cRPG environment?

lol, but, yeah, I think the results would be more surprising than you think, or, at least, I'm curious enough to want to know.

I was alluding to the spelling :) . I mean you must have seen the game title spelled out a million times, you probably visited the namesake city in the games a bazillion more times and then.... this

Come on... :)

BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE

Oooooh, yeah, soz, I've made that typo ever since the game came out. My brain can't register the U, I've no idea why, probably to do with HiddenX's link somehow. I get this a lot with words. I've played the Civilisation games for probably 2000 hours (conservative estimate) and got a whole stack of history qualifications but my brain still can't distinguish in what circumstance I use capital and capitol (neither get spell checked).

I've got tuns of brain issue words, which really irritates me as I'm also a bit of a word pedant :S

I see Mylander has completed Witcher 3 - I guess the rest will start trickling in now, seems about the right time for a "what did you think of witcher 3?" poll?

Or give it another week?

He has also written a review of The Witcher 3, which we will publish early next week.
A poll about that would be good.

Some new ideas for interesting polls, what with the area being a bit dry for a while:

1. How many RPGs do you like to play every year?

1-2
3-4
5-6
7-12
13-24
25+

Opening post that describes the poll:

What do you think makes for a healthy RPG market that keeps you happy all year? That one big epic game per year/six months that dominates your free time and leaves a lasting impression? One epic every three or four months or how about every other month, your itch needing some cooldown time, but not excessive? Or are you more of a monthly type, new month, new game? How about up to two per month, heck there's time so why not put it to good use? Or are you a complete completionist and if it has RPG in it's description then it's good for a trial, giving you an average of more than one new game a fortnight but perhaps not so many actual game completions? Poll includes replaying or buying old games. Vote now!

2. When did you discover you loved computer game RPGs?

1985 and before
1986-1990
1991-1995
1996-2000
2001-2004
2005-2010
2011-2016

As the poll is limited by number of choices I've gone for mini-eras. The eras don't really relate to what games were new at the time, although there is a bit of that if it seems logical to squeeze a big name into a specific chunk. You might'nt've even played a new game when you discovered you loved RPGs, or you might have played one and not even have got the bug again for many years, but that first one still set the precedent for you. Or perhaps you tried some RPGs as part of your general gaming experience but didn't really take much notice of the genre until much later when a specific RPG grabbed you like no other had before?

3. What's your favourite category of RPG?

aRPG
jRPG
cRPG
Dungeon Crawler
Roguelike
Open World
Tactical

If a new game is released which of the above primary descriptors gets you most likely to take further interest in the game? Yes, many of the categories can work well with each other and many are interchangeable, but first impressions are very important for busy people with limited free time and it's only human to apply filters to advertising bumf, it's amazing how quickly one can press the back button after just a few words! So which insta-grabber does it best for you? If none of the above, feel free to write your own in your post (such as Kickstarter or C&C etc).

4. How well funded do you prefer your games to be?

Mega Bucks AAA+
Noticeably well funded
Fairly well funded
limited
Struggling
Cheap and cheerful

I have deliberately omitted an "I don't care" option, because that's a cop-out lie spoken by people who aren't aware of their own personal taste, or, worse, are in complete denial of their taste. I think we all know what a triple A is and there's no shame in naturally preferring the most spend for you buck. However, some people just get put off by the glam and everything associated with that, but still like games to look as if they were made by highly professional teams, that kind-of back-up AAA game that isn't on the front-row of the marketing bulge. Perhaps you prefer the games that are made by quality developers, but with the more double A budgets, just a few mill to tidy up some edges and ensure some nice graphics.

Moving into the definitely indy area, do you prefer indies, but are then very snobbish with your indies, putting your faith in people who can always deliver with very specific but attainable limited budgets, or perhaps you prefer the strugglers, for which you don't expect everything to be great but you just love the concept of finding the new genius or the fun of finding the diamond in the rough. Or maybe you're one of those people who simply gets more fun out of laughing at the poorer games, quantity vastly outweighing quality, variety is the spice of life after all.

Thanks for reminding me and offering some options :)

We covered them all now :)

Yes indeed, I shall have to get my thinking cap on again!

Back
Top Bottom