Gothic 3 - Community Patch 1.7 Teaser

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Community-Patch-Team released a teaser for the upcoming Gothic 3 v1.7 patch. A couple of novelties can be seen in the short movie. The two most obvious ones: Weapon sounds have been added and multiple opponents attack simultaneously.
CP 1.7 will be the final patch for Gothic 3.
More information.

Niiiiceeeee, uhn this last patch really looks promising, i just hope it not introduced new bugs.
________
ARLINGTON ASSEMBLY

Last edited:
Now gothic 3 was a dissapointment....lets hope fans can fix it up.

This will be the last patch? Too bad, I was hoping they would keep working on it indefinitely sorta like Bloodlines unofficial patches :)

Not too many details other than the sword sounds and multiple enemies attacking. Although, that is quite an improvement over the each enemy waits in line to fight you. It's going to make clearing out orc villages a lot harder now. I just hate that I'll have to start all over AGAIN to play this patch. I never seem to be able to get past Nordmar without getting bored or having to start over because of one of the patches.

Combat

...but have they made any changes to combat, besides the changes in teaser. For example, does all enemies, including wolves(!), still dodge power attacks? Atleast I hope, so I could finally play the game after almost two years of its release. :p

I've understood, that the final patch for G3 comes back to back with Forsaken Gods' release, so does Spellbound have their hands on this patch too, as they had in 1.6...?

This will be the last patch? Too bad, I was hoping they would keep working on it indefinitely sorta like Bloodlines unofficial patches :)
Why should they? Look at the comparatively harmless albeit still often unadequate reactions in this thread. Would you spend most of your free time on such a project for more than a year, with only symbolic financial compensation - if any- , to get reactions like that?

Lol a teaser for a patch..they'll be making teasers for teasers next..looking forward to it though.

After they made the gothic fan movie nothing gothic surprises me anymore - just talks numbers how dedicated the fans are. Hmm kinda bad news if its gonna be the last patch but I didnt except anyone to work free forever.

Glad to see the community still improving Gothic 3. I tried replaying it recently, but the game keeps crashing every 5 minutes now, due to some memory issue. It crashes far more often now, than it ever did before, so someone must've tampered with something - my game was a lot smoother without any patches, than with patch 1.6.

My guess is that the patching process itself isn't all that great. I probably have to install patch after patch, instead of vanilla -> patch 1.6 in one bang.

Did you assign G3 to only one CPU-core?

No. My current CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, and it shouldn't have a lot of trouble running Gothic 3 + the basic processes of Vista Ultimate (32 bit). Maybe I need to do some tweaking in the ini file to avoid the memory issue, or re-install and patch it one patch after another.

Why should they? Look at the comparatively harmless albeit still often unadequate reactions in this thread. Would you spend most of your free time on such a project for more than a year, with only symbolic financial compensation - if any- , to get reactions like that?

I think the teaser for the patch is what provoked the reactions.

Besides, I think to do this kind of work, you'd have to enjoy it and want to improve the game. Getting positive reactions from everyone shouldn't be the primary motivator, as that's hardly going to help the game itself. Maybe they should have become popstars for that ;)

In any case, I see what you mean. People are ungrateful as hell, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it. If you actually DO improve the game, then I'm confident rewards will follow - albeit not necessarily right away.

Ah, another Vista problem. If I would get a penny everytime I find "Vista problem" thread from forums, I'd be a rich man. :)

Last time I tried G3, with CP 1.6, I only installed the CP, without any other patches, and the game worked great, though I quit it, after noticing the melee combat is untouched.

Not a Vista problem. I've completed the game 10+ times, some on Vista, some on XP, and though I've experienced problems, it's never been this bad.

Maylander: I think what Gorath was talking about is that some games have problems with multi-core cpus and will have problems. By assigning it to one core it might help get it working.

I had a similar problem with G3 and multi-core cpus. It would change from night to day in seconds. All I did was disable one of the processors and it cleared up the problem.

@gorath I was half joking about indefinitely patching the game because I saw here the other day another release for the Bloodlines patch and I couldn't believe the guy was still working on it and updating it.

Not sure what you mean about the responses. Every game released and patched gets these kinds of responses. It's our job as posters to make sure we whine as much as possible about every little detail ;p

I had a similar problem with G3 and multi-core cpus. It would change from night to day in seconds. All I did was disable one of the processors and it cleared up the problem.

That the main problem of all games that don't use multicore (even if they got a advertise that say "compatible core 2 duo" like witcher game. Just affinity to 1 processor and all problems are gone.

Is a shame that Gothic 3 don't use full dual core or quadcore because i am sure if it use it at full capacity like games like mass effect, the game will run smooth, but like what ppl say on witcher forum, it need remakes on the code to make the game run on multitreading soo there is no way to add the support via patch.
________
CHRYSLER AIRSTREAM SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:
Is a shame that Gothic 3 don't use full dual core or quadcore because i am sure if it use it at full capacity like games like mass effect, the game will run smooth, but like what ppl say on witcher forum, it need remakes on the code to make the game run on multitreading soo there is no way to add the support via patch.

The major change that Spellbound (the developer of Gothic 4) introduced in Gothic 3 patch 1.6 (supporting the community patch team, Spellbound was only involved in the creation of patch 1.6 - patch 1.7 is once again a pure community patch) was the removal of multithreading.
Gothic 3 version 1.6 no longer makes use of multiple cores. It runs on one core. The multithreading was so severely bugged that instead of trying to fix it, Spellbound decided to remove it completely. They fully well knew that they were sacrificing performance for stability but since the performance only dropped by <5 frames per second, they decided that it was worth removing the multithreading.
They also figured out that there is no way to seriously improve the stuttering/loading (freeze) pauses. The streaming (of world data into memory as you move through the world) is at fault here. They would have had to completely overhaul the engine which was obviously way beyond their scope on patch 1.6.

@gorath I was half joking about indefinitely patching the game because I saw here the other day another release for the Bloodlines patch and I couldn't believe the guy was still working on it and updating it.

Not sure what you mean about the responses. Every game released and patched gets these kinds of responses. It's our job as posters to make sure we whine as much as possible about every little detail ;p
I believe that was likely an AMD multi-core CPU. They have a known problem with time register synchronization between cores, as in they gradually drift out of synch one the machine is started. There is a patch, maybe on the AMD site IIRC that forces windows (and applications) to use a window specific time retrieval function which fixes the insta-day/night problem and similar problems with others games, e.g. playing too fast, too slow, etc.

(I'm not exactly certain about how exactly they patched this, but I suspect that they may have also added or enabled a process that occasionally sychronizes the time registers as well. Also I know for certain that this affected the old socket 939 CPUs (multi core only), but am not certain if it still exists with their newer cores. Also AFAIK it was never a problem with multi-core Intel CPUs.)

Back
Top Bottom