Best BG "complete" mod?

D

DArtagnan

I have a few days off coming up - and I think I've decided to finally get going on a BG replay.

What's the best mod for a "complete" experience with BG1,2 and expansions?

Preferably one that includes that combined world map and such.

Last time I tried this, it was really quite an endeavour to get it all working together.

I'm just hoping there's something easier available :)

That, or I'll have to replay Dragon Age instead. I was doing good in a ME replay, but the ME3 demo made it pretty clear that it's a waste of time.

I bought BG1 and 2 on sale from GOG a while back and installed them a few weeks ago. However, I haven't managed to get Big World mod and Bg1tutu installed. It seems like a complex process.

I was told that in order to get everything working properly I needed

Big World Fixpack
bg1tutu
Big World Install Pack
Acension Weidu
Weidu-Windows
Unfinished Business
Widescreen Mod

I kept getting an error message and gave up at some point. Then I tried again and I was prompted to install to BG2 / Shadows of Ann directory, but there is no such directory with the GOG version of the game.

Then today I found this pdf file, which seems to explain the install process a bit better:

http://downloads.spellholdstudios.net/BiG World v11 english.pdf

Incidentally, I've never played BG1 or BG2 before so I'm really looking forward to it.

Is there more than one mod that actually combines the games? The only one I know of is the Baldur’s Gate Trilogy mod. (Readme) Afaik, it's the only mod that actually joins them together.

Not sure if it offers a combined world map. I'm one of those weird people that actually likes BG1 just the way it is.

You'll be busy for the next few months though. :)

*Edit* I forgot about the BiG World mod. That one also joins the games, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which mod is superior.

*Edit2* Duh... BiG World simply contains the BGT mod plus a few additional mods.

Last edited:
I like BG1 as well, but I want the advanced mechanics/classes from BG2 - especially since I intend to play it afterwards.

Also, 640x480 looks like shit on my monitor :)

If you don't mind me asking… why play in reverse order?

Personally, I don't think BG2 will be as enjoyable that way, because there will be a lot of references and cameos that won't make sense.

Reverse order?

I intend to play BG and then BG2 :)

I meant that since I will be using the same character, I'd be unable to use the classes and packages from BG2 for him - if I didn't use these combination mods.

At least, AFAIK.

When I played BG1 with Tutu installed a few years back, I created a Druid using the Avenger prestige class package. I was also able to transfer the character into BG2 and Throne of Bhaal with no hassles. Whilst the class felt a little overpowered for BG1, there was enough party configuration options to keep it fun and interesting.

I've also been compiling a new list of mods to try out in a replay of the first game sometime in the year, so I'll follow your reports on the mods you use with interest, if you care to detail your experiences.

Sure, I'll look into it after work. If I get it up and running, I'll gladly report what I did to make that happen.

I'm mostly into a "pure" experience in terms of actual content - but I definitely prefer having access to as many classes/packages as possible, as long as they're not fan-made weird stuff.

I still prefer EasyTutu, but it doesn't truly combine it into one game, it just converts BG1 to the BG2 engine. The content stays exactly the same.

Definitely recommend Easytutu. I've had fewer problems than with BG Trilogy. Plus if you want to mod the games, you can install mods for BG1 Easytutu & BG2 on the two separate installs, so you've got fewer worries about mod incompatibility issues which you can get with a single giant install.

I did EasyTuTu on my last play through and it was in fact quite easy! (Granted this was off the disks, not the GOG version). The only other mods I installed were the widescreen, fix pack and NPC banter mods IIRC. I may have installed unfinished business, but I don't think so.

I think the next one I am going to look at BG Trilogy mainly because I'm curious how they segway between the two!

Tutu was relatively painless to install, and suffices if you only want to use the improved interface and classes of BG2.

Some BG2 kits (for instance those with immunities) are overpowered for BG1 though.

Its a fairly brief experience to be honest. Here's a Youtube vid if you want to check it out before playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kfGRNE2Nc&feature=related

Thanks! I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do. I'm getting the itch to play one of these games again (despite have Ps:T, Arcanum and NWN:SoZ still to play and NWN:MotB, NWN:MoW and U6: P still to finish!)

I'm actually thinking of replaying IWD. I've only played it once.

I use Baldur's Gate Trilogy and have had no problems.
GoG installs, Win7, wide screen mod

Back
Top Bottom