Rock, Paper, Shotgun - The 122 Best PC Games of the Last 22 Years

What about a list like "the 10 most beautiful-looking games" ?

That list of theirs is pretty lacking at times. No mention of Might & Magic, Wizardry, Everquest, or the Witcher? I'm sure there's plenty more, but it seems like a list made late one evening while a few half drunken guys gathered around a table and blurted out the first things to come to mind.

That list of theirs is pretty lacking at times. No mention of Might & Magic, Wizardry, Everquest, or the Witcher? I'm sure there's plenty more, but it seems like a list made late one evening while a few half drunken guys gathered around a table and blurted out the first things to come to mind.

No kidding. For 89 they had Minesweeper and that's it. No mention of Hero Quest: So You Want to be a Hero or Mechwarrior. Even if you are not into RPGs Hero Quest was a great game that combined the adventure genre with the rpg genre in the best possible way.

Not mentioning Mechwarrior is just ludicrous.

I could go on of course, but 89 seemed to be the worse offender in that list. A lot of great games released in that year and they chose freaking minesweeper.

they don't have original UT but have ut2004… come on.
starcraft 2 and no original starcraft

at least they have FO1/2 and Morrowind.

Many RPGs were lacking such as Gothic, Might and Magic, and many more that I considered the best PC games, but I was glad to see some such as Ultima Underworld which often does not get a mention, even though it preceded Doom and had a more advanced engine.
I would have also picked Wing Commander over Tie Figher.

These best of lists are always going to be subject to individual tastes.

The list is quite weak for the older years, for the more recent years the game per year is increasing and there's more and more I don't know, not that it means they are wrong, just that show their little knowledge of older years and my little knowledge of last years, I mean last decade.

I think it shows their age. Where is Myst? I'm surprised there is no Wolfenstein or Duke Nukem. I suspect these kind of lists will start remembering DN over the next 10 years the way many lists suddenly remember Might and Magic after VI came out.

I think it shows their age. Where is Myst? I'm surprised there is no Wolfenstein or Duke Nukem. I suspect these kind of lists will start remembering DN over the next 10 years the way many lists suddenly remember Might and Magic after VI came out.

Lol yeah what are the missing quotes?

Firstly it's a non sense to list Diablo 2, Warcraft 2, Starcraft 2, Flashback, Monkey Island 2, Civilization 2 or Colonization, Sim City 2000, Unreal Tournament 2004, GTA 4, when it's Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, Alone in The Dark, Monkey Island, Civilization (I know many will disagree here), Sim City, Unreal Tournament, GTA 3, that should have been listed.

I agree there's definitely Myst that is missing, but I'll add its companion The 7th Guest even if much less copies had been sold. Still about the missing huge classical, some other had been strangely forgotten: Star Control 2, Populous, 3 in Three, Cannon Fooder, Wing Commander, Majesty, The Incredible Machine, Little Big Adventure, Ancient Domain Of Mystery, Puzzle Quest (or Puzzle Quest 2).

But there's also the big games from genres that has disappeared or have evolved a lot like Battle Isle, Panzer General, Lands of Lore, Eyes of the Beholder, Might & Magic III, Indiana Jones the Last Crusade, Prince of Persia, Commander Keen.

And another missing category is from the casual domain, the only one I noticed in their list is Plants vs Zombies. But few other could have been added like Bejeweled, Luxor, Defense Grid: The Awakening, or Dream Chronicles.

Back
Top Bottom