HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The first dev-news-update after the successful release of Age of Decadence:

Random musings:

Release

It went extremely well (both sales and reception), so once again thank you for your support. We sold 10,000+ copies in the first week (25,441 copies sold overall). It doesn't solve all our problems, it doesn't secure our future, it doesn't even pay for the colony ship RPG development yet, BUT it gives us a fighting chance, which is all you can ask for these days.

It's the first time that something actually went well and didn't fall far below expectations, so in this chapter we learn that patience is a virtue and if you build it, they will definitely come.

AoD updates

We'll be continue working on AoD until the end of Jan, then we'll switch to the dungeon crawler. We've scheduled 4 updates to be released at the end of each month. While each update will fix minor issues, add filler characters (see below), and optional quest solutions as per feedback we receive, the focus will be on:

Oct - the Arena (already working on it)
Nov - the Temple and 'god' endings (Scott suggested a good way to improve it)
Dec - thieves & traps
Jan - as it will be the final content update, we'll wait for more feedback until we decide what to focus on

No DLC or expansions are planned at the moment.

Filler NPCs

I didn't have time to add all 'backer' NPCs as they all require some work (usually a lot of work), but all your submissions will be reworked (I'll contact you first, of course, and run the changes by you) and added to the game in the upcoming updates.

New projects

We're still busy with AoD (answering questions, looking at save games, helping people fight their way through the game, upcoming update, etc), so we didn't have much time to talk about the new projects. In a month or so, we'll start presenting our design ideas, setting, concept art, etc. Eventually, we might even add more pages to our website, but don't hold your breath - keeping the site updated has never been high on our priority list.

To remind you:

Our short-term project is a party-based dungeon crawler set in the AoD world. One of the characters mentions a prison-mine called The Second Chance and you'll be given an opportunity to escape it or die trying. This game will use the existing assets and systems.

Our long-term (i.e. a full scale RPG) project is a "generation ship" game, inspired by Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky. We're aiming to create a different experience with the same core ('hardcore', TB, C&C). So, combat will be turn-based but focused on ranged rather than melee (earth-made laser guns - rare but powerful, ammo even more rare, so save for special occasions - vs crude ship-manufactured firearms favoring burst rather then precision), level up to distribute skill points and unlock new feats, focus on the individual and more dynamic C&C, focus on exploring rather than working your way up in a faction; you'll be one of the 'freemen' who aren't born into a caste-like faction, more traditional open level design.

Our plan is to release the dungeon crawler by the end of 2016. It's a linear, combat RPG with minimum dialogues and 'quests' revolving around killing, so it will be relatively easy to put together. The colony ship RPG will take 3-4 years and most likely use a new engine (Unreal 4). If everything goes well, it will be released on Early Access in 2018.

So, once again, thank you for your support. I can't tell you how much it meant to us over the years and how much it means to us now. We have a great community and I look forward keeping you entertained for years to come.
More information.

Congratulations for the successful launch, you guys have earned it!

Yeah, this is an excellent game. I am glad i greenlit and bought my copy early.

I'm enjoying it even though it's pretty brutal.

It'll probably be one of the few games I replay more than once (of course I'll probably cheat my ass off to make the combat easy in future playthroughs...I just want to see the stories).

Congrats on a great first week!!! I'm looking forward to playing this game.

Mad skills, Pladio!

PS. We picked your character to be one of the first three "psychopaths". The artist is working on a portrait based on what your character looks like (bald Hulk Hogan with tribal tattoos).

I'm enjoying it even though it's pretty brutal.

It'll probably be one of the few games I replay more than once (of course I'll probably cheat my ass off to make the combat easy in future playthroughs…I just want to see the stories).

My typical compulsion to constantly restart RPGs with different builds is particularly strong with AoD. So far it seems that for most classes, combat is very rare, if not entirely avoidable as long as you have enough streetwise / persuasion skills. It's really only the Mercenary that had some unavoidable fights (Assassin also had one that I know of).

Very much enjoying the game... All of the planned updates almost make me want to hold on playing more... But I'm enjoying it too much. I only wish I could learn to live with my choices instead of constantly reloading and trying out different approaches etc... Damn my curiosity.

Not sure if I'll be interested in the Dungeon Crawler... Those were never really my cup of tea... Will the combat still be tb-tactical at least, or is it going to be a blobber? I assume the former if they're using the AoD engine... Combat in AoD is pretty good; just wish I control my allies sometimes :)

The space colony CRPG on the other hand definitely sounds great. If there's a crowdfunding campaign, I will definitely back.

Mad skills, Pladio!

PS. We picked your character to be one of the first three "psychopaths". The artist is working on a portrait based on what your character looks like (bald Hulk Hogan with tribal tattoos).

Go Shampur !

Lenny Shorthand the assassin is very good too by the way.

He's not the usual assassin as he wears full steel armour, but if it works, it ain't stupid, right ?

My typical compulsion to constantly restart RPGs with different builds is particularly strong with AoD. So far it seems that for most classes, combat is very rare, if not entirely avoidable as long as you have enough streetwise / persuasion skills. It's really only the Mercenary that had some unavoidable fights (Assassin also had one that I know of).

Very much enjoying the game… All of the planned updates almost make me want to hold on playing more… But I'm enjoying it too much. I only wish I could learn to live with my choices instead of constantly reloading and trying out different approaches etc… Damn my curiosity.

Not sure if I'll be interested in the Dungeon Crawler… Those were never really my cup of tea… Will the combat still be tb-tactical at least, or is it going to be a blobber? I assume the former if they're using the AoD engine… Combat in AoD is pretty good; just wish I control my allies sometimes :)

The space colony CRPG on the other hand definitely sounds great. If there's a crowdfunding campaign, I will definitely back.

I'm playing as an assassin now and there are a few more unavoidable fights, it seems.Not too many though.
However, I haven't spend many points in my civic skills yet.

So is Torque but we made it work. Unity doesn't come with the source code, which is reason #1.
And IME with the crapload of unity engine games recently, there's just something off about that engine.

I mean that I have enough games, and they're not all crappy although a few have gone downhill, something about the engine just seems to exacerbate problems which I don't see in say UE4 games which I also have a few of and a few of which aren't that great in one fashion or another but it doesn't seem to stem from the engine itself unlike my 'feeling' for unity games.

Torque: I can think of very few games that used of torque. i.e. most FPS use source, cryengine, or one of the unreal engines. One of the few that I recall off of the top of y head is Minions of Mirth which is an oldschool MMORPG, pretty much dead now though. The guy that bought it from Josh & Lara(original dev & artist) backtracked on alot of the good things that they had going for it, sadly. Seems like a fanboi with money but no skills that spent all of his money buying a shiny toy then broke it.

Not sure if I'll be interested in the Dungeon Crawler… Those were never really my cup of tea… Will the combat still be tb-tactical at least, or is it going to be a blobber? I assume the former if they're using the AoD engine… Combat in AoD is pretty good; just wish I control my allies sometimes :)

Same here. I'll back that KS.

I'm playing as an assassin now and there are a few more unavoidable fights, it seems.Not too many though.
However, I haven't spend many points in my civic skills yet.

Mind sharing your build, Pladio? I'm giving the assassin a go too but getting my ass handed to me, to be honest.

I thought Pladio's avatar looked like Ammon Jerro from NWN2. Just put a funny hat on to cover the web tattoo and it looks like the same dude :)

Same here. I'll back that KS.

Mind sharing your build, Pladio? I'm giving the assassin a go too but getting my ass handed to me, to be honest.

I'm at work now so can't check to be sure but I think it's like this
7-8-7-7-7-4

I'm a dagger-wielding assassin with dodge ...

Teron was ok with the use of nets, bolas, poison and one bomb.

I'm hitting a bit of a difficulty spike in maadoran now though. The arena champion massacres me and the gang in the slums do too.

Not sure if I should go into combat skills all out or try different ways of resolving some quests...

Yeah, it's Azar Javed.

Don't have my assassin on me, but he's high Dex, high Per, with Sneak and Lockpick in Teron to start getting some of the extra SP (sneak into the Daratan compound), Spear/Dodge, low CS. An investment in Crafting (for killing), supplemented with a little Lore let me hit a lot of the Lore locations too.

Don't have my assassin on me, but he's high Dex, high Per, with Sneak and Lockpick in Teron to start getting some of the extra SP (sneak into the Daratan compound), Spear/Dodge, low CS. An investment in Crafting (for killing), supplemented with a little Lore let me hit a lot of the Lore locations too.

Thanks for the tips. I followed your advice, but switching out spear for daggers.
Now... is there a manual for this game? If there is, GOG doesn't have it. :)

Back
Top Bottom