NWN2 D&D Character building and other NWN2 advice

Neverwinter Nights 2
Edit: On the game: My first few hours were full of negative remarks but after getting to Neverwinter things got better, mostly due to habit and a more involving plot. With that being said the game is still the worst executed RPG (from a technical point of view) I've played in years. Slowest start ever, a crime of a camera system, useless autosave and most importantly an overall awkwardness that makes me feel the game doesn't want to be at times in 3D and at others a video-game at all. I certainly understand remember why it didn't grab me the first time and gladly realize my unfamiliarity with DnD had absolutely nothing to do with it. I've now gotten used to fighting the game so I can concentrate on the good bit. Oh and I hate Qara more than any companion in any RPG (even Mud) although I guess that's a good thing. If I get the chance I might turn chaotic evil just to murder her, slowly.

I found most of companions from OC to be annoying with exception
Sand and Ammon Jerro
but I found it enjoyable nevertheless, on the other hand MotB has only 4 companions(or 3 if you kill Okku), and all of them are well written.So if even if you don't like OC I recommend to give MotB a chance, until Torment: Tides of Numenera comes out it's closest thing to spiritual successor of PS:T imo.

There's a ton of camera options and adjustments. I'd definitely check those out, as the default settings aren't all that. You can get the camera to perform almost any way you want, but it takes a bit of tweaking.

As for characters, I'd honestly go with a Cleric, Favored Soul or similar the first time, mainly because healers have always been extremely powerful in D&D. It just makes life a bit easier.

As far as skill checks go: Only Storm of Zehir allows you to use companions during conversations. The skill checks of your main character is the only thing that matters in both the OC and MotB, and the most used skill by far is Diplomacy. You can safely ignore pretty much every other stat and skill and still get the most out of almost every conversation. This tactic won't work at all in Storm of Zehir, but it will in OC and MotB.

The easiest way to really breeze through all conversations is probably to play a Favored Soul. They use Charisma as their primary casting stat and, unlike the Sorcerer, actually have Diplomacy as a class skill.

Just finished it! Posted my thoughts here. Since this is an advice thread I think I should mention that I used Tony's AI and Fire&Ice's Big Fonts UI mods to make the needed micromanaging less tedious.

Not sure of the game was easy or if the built was that good. I was hardly challenged and even in most difficult fight of the game (the one v 3 reavers) required me only to be fully rested.

In any case thanks a lot everyone for the advice. Gonna try to import my 20lvl char (12wiz+8ASoC) into MotB soon so I'm likely to post here again.

Edit: Actually, I got a question even before firing it up. What do I need to raise to become more resistant to knockdowns? My char's only weak spot but it was pretty bad.

Last edited:
Strength and dexterity, and there's no way a wizard will get high enough values to resist knockdowns. However, you can use spells like mirror image to avoid it.

Figures. Guess I'll have to get used to it.

Started MotB and while I'm still about 3 hours in I've already had to reload about as many times as in the entire OC. They either made the game considerably more challenging or it's just horned devils that I'm bad against.

It'll get easier once you get all the companions. :)

Back
Top Bottom