Gothic 3 - Review @ Gamers Europe

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Gamers Europe has posted a review of Gothic 3 chock full of odd statements and metaphors. The score is 7/10 and here's a snip:
Gothic 3 as an RPG is a fair contribution to a crowded genre where a few notable games shine brightly. One of these is a game called The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. Both are RPG games with similar ideas. Gothic 3 alludes to competing with Oblivion, but it is beaten in sheer scope and completeness. As I mentioned of Jowood, parts of Gothic 3 are quite obviously unfinished, most notably some of the towns in the desert where details trail off like an old coot telling a rambling story that doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. Or something like that. There can be a lengthy debate about which game is better but I’ll save us all time and say that Oblivion wins on panache. Everything about it is just somehow slightly better. If I had to pick the tie breaker, it’d be the memory leaks issuing forth from Gothic 3. Although Piranha Bytes developers such as Carsten say these are due to be fixed, my belief is that such a high level of community involvement is unprofessional. By all means, appoint a community representative to voice concerns to the development team, but don’t waste valuable time posting in forums when there is a job to be done.
More information.

Yeah well seems many of his comments are made out of ignorance and for a reviewer thats not a good sign.
Maybe these guys should be forced to read Vault Dewller's review before they open their mouths? :D

If Oblivion is a reviewer's benchmark for a good RPG, then you know that reading the review is a waste of time!! Oblivion is an enjoyable game after being well modded, but out of the box it was a pain!! Whether or not it's really an RPG, is a different discussion!! :)

Sometimes i think playing Oblivion makes some reviewer sometimes sort of narrow minded in regard of other rpg's. They think the big O is the non plus ultra in rpg's and everything what is a little bit different is bad. I think this guy don't play rpgs very often. How can he say that the rpg genre is crowded ? It reads like if the reviewer did just go to a G3 forum and read about the most silly complains that some people made (i don't say that all are) and abused them in his review.

Last edited:
Gothic 3 as an RPG is a fair contribution to a crowded genre where a few notable games shine brightly.
What the hell? Since when is the RPG genre "crowded"?

This is an ironic review and he gives a 7 to the game. The reviewer is right in his criticisms even if sometimes he is hypercritical (the critics to the musics is a bit strange but maybe he plays the guitar a la Malmsteen and needs more skill and complexity ;D). But I think that is an honest critical review cause he gives the right score.

Sometimes i think playing Oblivion makes some reviewer sometimes sort of narrow minded in regard of other rpg's.

I'm totally SURE of that - only with Blizzards Action-RPGs.

The point is, that ALL German gaming mags say "this is like this game" or "this is not like this game". The Acrion-RPG is mentioned anyway, as if it was the crown of everything all RPGs have to be meaured with.

What actually worries more is this :

but don’t waste valuable time posting in forums when there is a job to be done.

One word : Ignorance. Gothic LIVES by the contributions of their community ! The reviewer(s) seem simply not to know about how things acttually are in the forums there !

EA, Atari and all other major publisher are the direct opposite : They are tight shut like a bank safe keeping all of its money. All they let out are sales rfeports, nothing less.
Of course, there are forums there, but I doubt that anything written there actually into the company itself ! "Why bother with these people who have already given us their money ?"

Actually claiming that developers should not take a few minuttes to post an update on how the development is progressing, especially regarding a major concern, is not the best thing to do in a review. I do believe most fans like to know that their feedback is noted by the developers, and that the most serious issues of the game are being adressed.

Last time I checked, old coots rambling on with stories that go nowhere is pretty common in the real world.

The only problem I had with G3 was the sword fighting. If they fix that I can deal with it's other flaws. Just like all the Gothic games, G3 is once again "flawed genius".

Very strange review...

Back
Top Bottom