RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2012 Awards: Best Indie RPG

They are not. This year part of the staff have been doing other things than gaming and I could not gather sufficient votes for an Editors Choice.

Oh! That's a dissapointment. :(

Grimrock is a deserving winner, I think. Not only was it a fun game, that does what it set out to do pretty well (I didn't finish it so far, but enjoyed my time with it), but I find it also impressive as a project: small team, yet very rapid development, nevertheless very professional, impressive production values, solid PR work without hyping, good community interaction… It's a model worth noting for potential future indy developers.

Absolutely, however, what impressed me most about this game was the Dungeon Editor. It's incredibly fun and easy to use. If you can draw a D&D dungeon on graph paper, you can make a mod for Legend of Grimrock. And the integration with Steam Workshop makes it so easy to upload your mods and share with friends, as well as offering thousands of hours of new, free content for players.

Absolutely, however, what impressed me most about this game was the Dungeon Editor. It's incredibly fun and easy to use. If you can draw a D&D dungeon on graph paper, you can make a mod for Legend of Grimrock. And the integration with Steam Workshop makes it so easy to upload your mods and share with friends, as well as offering thousands of hours of new, free content for players.

The problem is that after maybe 2/3 of the original game you feel (or at least I felt) that I have seen everything. So for me there is no reason to go back to the game, see additional content or such because it would just be more of the same.
I didn't try the editor though, so maybe it even allows for "real" events or a roleplay feeling, making a better RPG out of grimrock than it was but I somewhat doubt it.

Although LoG is not a true RPG it is very faithful to Dungeon Master. There are some excellent MODs available some including new wallsets and Modified Monsters.

There are a Mods for EOB, Dungeon Master, Knightmare, & EOB2.

I played most of the Indies on the list and agree that with the exception of Skyrim and Torchlight 2 the best RPGs for 2012 were all Indies.

They are not. This year part of the staff have been doing other things than gaming and I could not gather sufficient votes for an Editors Choice.

Something other than gaming? How much time does someone need to eat and sleep?:lol:

The problem is that after maybe 2/3 of the original game you feel (or at least I felt) that I have seen everything. So for me there is no reason to go back to the game, see additional content or such because it would just be more of the same.

I never had that feeling in the least. Rather, I was always eager to see what the next floor was going to be like and what new enemies and equipment I would discover. I could understand that though if LoG was a more lengthy game, but I thought it was just about right in terms of content.

Although LoG is not a true RPG it is very faithful to Dungeon Master.

Well I'm glad you're here to tell us what is or isn't a true RPG. ;)

I didn't try the editor though, so maybe it even allows for "real" events or a roleplay feeling, making a better RPG out of grimrock than it was but I somewhat doubt it.

Just browse through Steam workshop and try a couple of the hundreds of mods available for free.

Just browse through Steam workshop and try a couple of the hundreds of mods available for free.

Well, can you recommend any good ones? Which actually offer high quality and rich content instead of just some new levels?

Back
Top Bottom