RPGWatch Feature: The Chosen Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Our latest review delves into The Chosen: Well of Souls, Rebelmind's new budget hack'n'slasher set in 19th century Europe:
The brass tacks framework of any action RPG rests on three things: combat, character development and item systems (otherwise known as ph4t l3wt). The Chosen handles the first very well indeed, provided you’re tolerant of the point-and-click attack system. There’s a lot more to slaying than just random clicking though, especially if you want to get the extra attribute point rewarded for completely clearing each map of the required number of hellspawn. This is represented at each level by a small numerical counter at the top of the screen that counts down the total as each infernal creature bites the dust. To reduce the monster meter to zero, players will have to exercise brain cells as much as an overdeveloped mouse finger.
Read it all here.
More information.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. :) Being the hack-n-slash addict that I am, this one was a lot of fun to play and review.

BTW, I want to thank Dhruin and Mike (txa1265) for mentoring me along, and also Curiously Undead, for sharing his observations with me and letting me bend his ear about the game.

Last edited:
I loved reading the review! Great job!

well written written review, and an enjoyable read. thanks magerette for your efforts!

Very good review, Magerette. You should do more of them.

Good reading :)

btw isn't it a shame that one of the reasons why this game falls is the weak storyline.. Sure I understand Its a small budget game, but the storyline if something would be one of the easiest ways to compete against "big boys".

Last edited:
Yep, it's pure action rpg, zakhal. A lot of people feel the same way you do, so they should know if they don't enjoy those games, they'll most likely want to avoid this one. In fact, I'm surprised I don't need to get my mouse replaced after all the left-clicking.:sweatdrop:

But that said, it's not bad at what it does; I do think it's better than Loki personally, though definitely not up there with my beloved Titan Quest. ;)

@Dez--yes, the story isn't really much of a factor in the game, even though it does have a few interesting moments. I don't think the translators did this one any favors. It's the skill system though that baffles me--why spend all that time making a beautiful world and then limit it to just a generic one-playthrough game?

Appreciate all the positive feedback from everyone. Thanks again.

Good work! :)

The last Hack & Slash I played and had fun with was Mage Knight, it seem to offer such interesting twist on skill system, gameplay and pretty cool looking gamewold, though the script was horribly written or acted can't recall atm. :)

I recall many didn't like it, did you ever try MK, magerette?

I didn't think it was great, as I mentioned here. The #1 reason that I would pick The Chosen 10 times out of 10 (despite giving them the same scores) is because of the camera control.

I never ran across Mage Knight, Acleasius. It was probably released while I was in the midst of a more powerful game addiction. :)

magerette
I never ran across Mage Knight, Acleasius.
txa1265, certainly is more condemning with the 10 out of 10 against, than he seemed to be when it originally was released, but I think he took some heat from the wife, since the females were scantly clad. ;)
There is a demo, but it may not be to your taste, it just seems to have a a refreshing look to the world and was a nice diversion during a dry sprll of no new games to play. :)

txa1265
I didn't think it was great
Me, either, but I did have fun. :)
So, far I haven't seen any reviews that think either of these is great, but maybe I missed some. :)
Additionally wasn't the camera fixed after the first patch, if not the first surely the seond or third.

txa1265, certainly is more condemning with the 10 out of 10 against, than he seemed to be when it originally was released, but I think he took some heat from the wife, since the females were scantly clad. ;)

My '10 times out of 10' means not that I hate MK:A - I still think of it as a 3/5 game - but that things like the generic story and setting as well as camera confugalties make it a game I never wanted to revisit. As for my wife, she doesn't look at my gaming stuff much ... but seeing stuff that is stereotypical 'immature grown boy in mama's basement' stuff like in MK:A doesn't help her appreciate our hobby more ...

Interestingly, the DS game Mage Knight Destiny Soldier has gotten considerable replay while MK:A has gone to 'the box'.

txa1265
Interestingly, the DS game Mage Knight Destiny Soldier has gotten considerable replay
Good news maybe they are getting better at design.
Do DS (handheld?) ever make it to the PC?

txa1265

Good news maybe they are getting better at design.
Do DS (handheld?) ever make it to the PC?

Aside from Puzzle Quest? No.

The Mage Knight DS game is much like the tabletop - rolling dice, hex grid and everything. Very nice.

Yep, it's pure action rpg, zakhal. A lot of people feel the same way you do, so they should know if they don't enjoy those games, they'll most likely want to avoid this one. In fact, I'm surprised I don't need to get my mouse replaced after all the left-clicking.:sweatdrop:

Thats right to the point. I might like the games on som level but Im not willing to sacrifice my mousehand for it. No game is that good.

Excellent review, magerette! I look forward to more of them from you...

Back
Top Bottom