Might & Magic X - Preview @ PC.MMGN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PC.MMGN has posted a new preview for the Early Access version of Might & Magic X.

Might & Magic X: Legacy is worth checking out soon, if you’re looking for a nostalgia trip from your youth. The world’s environment, littered full of lore, makes the game a much more old-school and enjoy able journey than most other modern-RPGs will offer you. It’s a world where you can create a party, utilise your own strategies to explore dungeons and defeat puzzles, that will let you discover a whole new part of Ashan. It’s an RPG to look forward to in 2014.
More information.

Last edited:
Link is: http://pc.mmgn.com/Articles/might-magic-x-legacy-preview

Preview is pretty useless as it is just about the early access content which we know for decades…or so ;)
Just like all my articles are useless right? Maybe I should try sakichop's suggestion of sending my news-bits to all members for a vote. Since I get told this everyday.:thinking:

Not a jab at you Kordanor just a joke about other members. It's fixed now.:)

Last edited:
Actually I was only talking about the preview.

But now that you say it...yeah, maybe this news isn't really useful as well. :p

Actually I was only talking about the preview.

But now that you say it…yeah, maybe this news isn't really useful as well. :p
I'll add you to the list of RPGWatch members who say so everyday. I have to say it's getting larger, and I wonder who will be next.:biggrin:

As for the article it's nothing new but new readers might find it interesting.

I for one think Couchpotato is doing a excellent job with providing us with many and varied articles that are interesting and necessary for this website. He's doing great and I hope he continues to do so regardless of the few who may say otherwise.

I for one think Couchpotato is doing a excellent job with providing us with many and varied articles that are interesting and necessary for this website. He's doing great and I hope he continues to do so regardless of the few who may say otherwise.
Thank you for the compliment but I was just joking in my reply to Kordanor. I wont deny that a few do what I said though. So don't worry I love this site.;)

Now lets get back on topic. I have a question for the Early Access players. How is the overall bugginess of the game, and is the grid movement really a bother?

I like all the news you have posted CouchPotato. For RPG news, I'd rather have many options vs. limited options! Stuff I don't want to read I pass over; stuff that I think is interesting I read. Choices = good!

Imho the bugs were rare and far between and I don't doubt that they will be purged until release (well, the ones which existed in the early access of course).

But the movement is still a pain in the version you can play right now. The pause between each step is quite annoying, especally if you have to go longer paths.
So what bothers me most are gameplay issues which seem not to be corrected.
-The balancing is bad (within spells, classes and enemies, so all around)
-An exception is the magic system: This is balanced even worse
-Currently the "base gameplay" is not intuitive as it does not have positioning or tank mechanics. But it has tank classes which are therefore useless. The "goal" is not to let the tank take the damage (this is not possible by the design), but to spread the damage equally on group members, so that it can be healed by one of the strongest and most effective spells
-Ranged combat is mandatory for everyone to learn as it is the default attack on range (don't even think to use mana for damage spells, mana is for healing only if you want to be effective). However it is completely and uttery useless to put additional points into it as you are forced into melee combat very fast and have no way for party members to continue using ranged weapon
-the only exception is the ranger, which learns point blank shot as advanced class. So you have to keep increasing a skill which is almost useless until you get the master class in the last part of the game most probably. If you put points into other skills along the way the class is gimped, as talent points are scarce.

Might and Magic is currently a clockwork, with lots of nice cogwheels, which do not fit to each other in any way.

Thanks for the reply Kordanor as I always stay away from playing early versions of games. Hopefully some of those problems get ironed out in the next two months.

The only other problem I see is the amount of new releases coming out in the next three months. I want the game to be successful so we get more Might & Magic games.

Last edited:
You do an excellent job Couch and if it wasn't for you I probably wouldn't visit The Watch every single day, multiple times a day. I don't know what's so hard for people to understand that you post RPG related news. It's up to us if we find it useful or informative, that part isn't your problem nor should it be. All the whining is just a sign of our entitlement times...

I enjoyed Grimrock, but I am not sure about this one. 6 rations forcing you to endless backtracking just for the sake of? There are just some retro elements I am not sure they really serve any purpose. *shrug*

I guess I wait for a free demo to try it out. I am not that rich to pour money into games I wont enjoy and I need to see stuff myself.

Just like all my articles are useless right? Maybe I should try sakichop's suggestion of sending my news-bits to all members for a vote. Since I get told this everyday.:thinking:

Not a jab at you Kordanor just a joke about other members. It's fixed now.:)

*hug* We all love ya, Couchpotato! :)

There is nothing wrong with your news coverage, Couchpotato, quite the contrary. I'm only slightly baffled as to why some random WoW or other MMO news pop up, but I can live with it. Not your fault the news cycle is all kinds of wrong, especially with the levels of early access there are at the moment.

Kordanor: The Challenge ability which requires the Warfare skill makes the enemy attack the user of the skill so they can act as a tank or even spread it among 2 chars. I don't know if there are other skills since I only played the early part of the game.

@guenthar: Yes, you are absolutely right. There are taunt skills as there are tank classes like the Dwarfen guardian. The problem however is, that all these abilities use up a lot of mana.

So if you “really” used it, you would need to drink like one mana potion after each fight or two just for taunting. Instead you could like use the same mana potion to completely heal all the damage your whole party received during several fights. So this is completely out of proportion and if you want to be effective you only use the mana on your melee characters in boss fights or so. Or when you know that you will rest soon anyways.

Of course you could also just rest after each couple of fights. But that: 1. Costs gold for rations. 2. Costs your nerves for running to taverns with this stop and go movement system.

The problem with the movement at least seems to be solved in last versions (not in early access):

Back
Top Bottom