Dex - Released on May 7th

aries100

SasqWatch
From Indie RPGs comes news that this game is now finally released. A quote:

Developed by Czech indies Dreadlocks Ltd., Dex is a side-scrolling action RPG set in a grim cyberpunk future. The premise:

Explore the dark alleys of Harbor Prime and a host of diverse locations in both physical reality and the wild reaches of cyberspace. Discover the truth behind an enigmatic AI striving to reach the Singularity, a theoretical "event horizon" in which artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence and all bets about the future will be off.How will you play your part in the story?
You can view the launch trailer here.

At Indie RPGs you'll learn what the features of this game are. A quote then:

Rare melding of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions meld with hand-drawn characters, animations, and locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or normal reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, special equipment...
Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock gameplay-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your gameplay style.

More information.

Seems interesting. It has 10% discount on Steam now. But even most positive reviews point that for now game is buggy. So my decision to buy it or not will be made around christmas sales depending on devs involvment in fixing.

Seems interesting. It has 10% discount on Steam now. But even most positive reviews point that for now game is buggy. So my decision to buy it or not will be made around christmas sales depending on devs involvment in fixing.

Same here, there are plenty great games out. No need to rush for now.

Dex has already been on my wishlist for quite some time now, and I will surely pick it up later.

With the huge backlog of games many people have on steam, me included, I don't see a big reason to buy games on release anymore. You can argue to support developers, and I agree with that if you got the money to spare for it. But for me and others who needs a budget for games it's safe to let the game sit on the wishlist for a few months, get some patches out and pick it up on a sale later on ^_^

Yeah, it's on the wishlist and a 10% discount isn't enough to overcome resistance to impulse buy with the massive backlog ready to go.

That said, anybody who did pick it up...thoughts?

Can we get a review from rpgwatch? I am in doubt, seems great but i am not sure if to buy it or not.

The feature list does sound interesting. Anyone tried it?

I've been playing it since alpha.

I suppose I'd be the natural choice to write a review. :) I'll get started on another playthrough today. I'll be able to write the review soon.

For those that want something now: All in all, it's pretty good. You gotta like platformers, though. If you like platformers, this one's really good. It's nonlinear, it's cyberpunk, it's dark and pretty gritty. I expect I'll be rating it 4/5.

You gotta like platformers, though.

You really don't need to like platformers.. It's not Super Mario. There's occational jumping from one spot to the other, but you have that in any game that give you freedom of movement and where you are able to jump.

Played the beta, still havent played the "final", it's pretty good and looks incredible imo (love the pixel art). It's kind of Shadowrun / Deus Ex as a sidescroller.

I played it most of yesterday (Sunday). I think Im on the home stretch.

The story is open ended, and there is a lot of Quests to accomplish. Some areas are buggy, (one area in particular is annoying me). and the modeling/ backgrounds are quite nice.

One thing which sounds strange is Ive yet to work out how to fire a gun. Serious. I can punch easily enough (and now have Electrically charged metal hands!) but cant fire a damn gun. So Ive been playing this game Double Dragon style.. lots of super jumping kicking and punching and rinse and repeat.

On my wish list, but I'll wait to get it for a bargain, got to many games to finish atm.

I've been playing it since alpha.

I suppose I'd be the natural choice to write a review. :) I'll get started on another playthrough today. I'll be able to write the review soon.

For those that want something now: All in all, it's pretty good. You gotta like platformers, though. If you like platformers, this one's really good. It's nonlinear, it's cyberpunk, it's dark and pretty gritty. I expect I'll be rating it 4/5.

Awesome!

I was suprised when i found out that one of the developers came from Larian (I remember him from kickstarter videos for D:OS - this is one of the reasons I have this game in my wishlist (but still no time to play)

Back
Top Bottom