Dragon Warrior

low selling xbox 360? heh nice. Ps3 I understand...but xbox 360?

Well ... the combined sales of the PS3 and X360 worldwide is just slightly higher than the PSP. And the PSP only has 30% of the handheld market ... with the DS having 70%. So in comparison the DS outsells the combined PS3 & X360 as 2.5:1.

Because it's going to be an inferior product, that's why.
Anti-handheld bias much? I mean, I'd put Chrono Trigger DS and The World Ends With You up against any of the top console games this year in terms of actually quality. Of course, if 'big boom' matters more ... ;)

Anti-handheld bias much? I mean, I'd put Chrono Trigger DS and The World Ends With You up against any of the top console games this year in terms of actually quality. Of course, if 'big boom' matters more ... ;)

I agree. Graphics don't matter, gameplay do.
As I recall, DQ 7 looked very dated when it came out and still did very well.

As for DQ 9 "only" coming out on the DS - DQ games have usually ONLY come out on one system. Whether it was the NES, SNES, PS, PS2 or now the DS.

Quality games can be made on handhelds, besides the 2 mentioned above, just take a look at the DS Zelda. That's an amazingly polished piece of software. Excellent controls, graphics, music and sound. And most importantly, gameplay. It's all there, just in a handheld.

And remember the Golden Sun series? Those were GBA games that probably looked as good as PS1 games and played well too.

you can also play DS games on the PC, if you bought the game and play it on the PC, I have no problem with it, but it is true it is a legally "grey" zone.

Huh? I have to admit I've never heard of that one. You're not refering to an emulator are you? Because afaik there isn't a working one for the DS.

How did I know you were going to misinterpret that? :) I didn't mean inferior in general, just that they obviously can't do as much on the DS. Not to mention the tiny screen which not all of us enjoy straining our eyes on.

...and Chrono Trigger DS is nothing more than a port of a 10+ year old SNES game. ;)

How did I know you were going to misinterpret that? :) I didn't mean inferior in general, just that they obviously can't do as much on the DS. Not to mention the tiny screen which not all of us enjoy straining our eyes on.
I have played 100+ hour games on the GBA and DS and PSP (well, more like 40+ on the PSP, nothing quite as epic). But I understand what you are saying - but wouldn't let you get away with dismissing it as 'inferior' out of hand like that - because that isn't true. Whether it deserves to be playable on a 52" screen is another matter ... as is whether it deserves a $50million budget for nifty graphics.

...and Chrono Trigger DS is nothing more than a port of a 10+ year old SNES game. ;)

I know ... I used that intentionally because it reflects on the state of RPG in many ways, doesn't it?

Huh? I have to admit I've never heard of that one. You're not refering to an emulator are you? Because afaik there isn't a working one for the DS.

Sure there is, I am not sure if I am allowed to post the link here or not, I guess I need a mods permission. We even developed a DS game on PC.

I have played 100+ hour games on the GBA and DS and PSP

That's fine and dandy for people who can tolerate that, but many of just can't. I find myself getting a major headache from those screens. It wouldn't be so bad if there was some kind of hook-up to put it on your television.

Thanks for all the info guys. It looks like DQ VIII might be the one to try. Of course, I was only 11 years old when I played the original DW, so those fond recollections are most certainly tinted by the rose coloured glasses of nostalgia.
As for not being able to save the game outside of towns, I wouldn't want it any other way;) Normally, I wouldn't be very forgiving of this design choice and I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to saving games, but part of what made DW so memorable for me was the fact that you couldn't save just anywhere. If you decided to go on a long journey, you had to prepare for it (remember that feeling when you were deep inside a cave and your torch ran out?). The fact that there was a genuine risk made it that much more rewarding when, after a long walk into the unknown wilderness, and only a couple hit points left, you finally saw a town appear on the screen.

That's fine and dandy for people who can tolerate that, but many of just can't. I find myself getting a major headache from those screens. It wouldn't be so bad if there was some kind of hook-up to put it on your television.

I agree with you it hurts my eyes to play on a small hand-held.

But does it support the dual-screen of the DS? And how do you get around functions that use the stylus?

It supports most things, even it is not 100% perfect yet, even the microphone support was implemented. It shows both the top and buttom screen in a window, you can use the mouse as stylus, for turn based games it works quite well. The big problem is, a lot of people use emulation for piracy, few people would buy the game and a DC and transfer it to the PC to play it legally.

The big problem is, a lot of people use emulation for piracy, few people would buy the game and a DC and transfer it to the PC to play it legally.

It is more than 'a lot' ... which is my objection. Which is too bad, as it hampers those making legit 'homebrew' for the DS & PSP, as it is impossible to support them while knowing that perhaps 99% of folks using those emulators / hacked firmware are also pirating at least somewhat.

Wild Arms came VERY late in the life of the PS1. The first RPG was some crappy one that I cannot even remember the name of, but bought just about every other RPG released for the PS1 in NA.

I never bought the PS1 until right before FF7 was released(or maybe 1y before) whenever it was that I heard definitively that FF7 was coming out for the PS1 and NOT the N64(also got the only RPG released for that, Quest 64 and it was horrible).

(Oops, I forgot, I missed a few Working Designs RPGs as I didn't care for the first one that they released for the PS1 and the rest seemed like direct or slightly modified rehashes of that one. They seemed to be very much geared towards small children, and would make good first RPGs for them, but I couldn't stand them...)

Now that I'm trying to think of what RPGs I bought for the PS1 when I got it, IIRC it MAY have been Persona(loved that game), but it's been so long now, about 11y... (oddly enough I still remember that I got FF2 with the SNES... though and that's been even longer...)

DQ9 is coming out on the DS, and IIRC it's DQX that'll be on the Wii. Also 4-?? are being ported and released for the DS 4 is already out in NA/EU and 5 is out in Japana and NA shortly(no idea when EU release is).

Plus the DS has the DQ Monsters games, sort of vaguely like Pokemon, maybe a little better story/combatwise but w/o that collection sort of feeling that pokemon has(and gets old fast). There were also one or two of those for the GB/GBC IIRC, not sure about the PS1 as if there was one I missed it also...

[EDIT]
The DS' graphics might surprise you, and it does have quite a few good/difficult games and, seemingly, more RPGs than other consoles other than the PS2 ATM with MORE coming. OTOH about 90% of the DS games are shovelware crap of which a small minority may be semi-decent games for kiddies.

DQ Monsters Joker looks good to me as do the two Call of Duty(?) games, Dementium The Ward, Moon, etc. as well as a bunch of others. Easily better than many PS1 games where I can remember all the shimmering textures from lack of VRAM. (3D games)

As far as 2D games go, the DS is just as good as any other recent console.

PSP has slightly better gfx, but no games worth bothering to mention UNLESS you ONLY plan to play old PS1 games on the go and maybe a little pre-N64 emulation.
[/EDIT2]

Last edited:
Hmmm I would say the psp has quite a bit better graphics....and there are some gems like jean d'arc and wild arms....also final fantasy one theymade was fun...actually I think there are about 30 decent rpgs for that system a few are ports but quite a few good originals.

Wild Arms came VERY late in the life of the PS1. The first RPG was some crappy one that I cannot even remember the name of, but bought just about every other RPG released for the PS1 in NA.

You couldn't be more wrong about that. Wild Arms was released even before FF VII, and was one of the very first RPGs released for the PS1.

Wild Arms came out the same year as FFVII, 1997, only 2 years into the PS1's life.

One of the early RPGs would have been Suikoden or Beyond The Beyond which came out in 1996. Suikoden was good, BtB was horrible.

Maybe he means one of the sequels?

First Wild Arms was ok, nothing special. Haven't played the others in the series.

One of the early RPGs would have been Suikoden or Beyond The Beyond which came out in 1996. Suikoden was good, BtB was horrible.

Yep, I couldn't remember the name earlier, but Beyond the Beyond was definitely the first RPG for the playstation, at least in America. Unless you considered King's Field a true RPG, although that game was more of an adventure-RPG hybrid imo. And yes, BtB was pretty horrible.

Beyond The Beyond must have had the MOST random battles in any RPG I've played. I swear, it was like every 2 steps. Got old really quick.

Back
Top Bottom