Temple of elemental evil

The patch really made the game much better. The biggest problem of ToEE at its release was its bugs, CoE fixed most of those, and added more contents.

In term of gameplay, I think the combat system of ToEE did great job of replicating the Pen and Paper DnD experience (better the other DnD cRPG that I have played: BG, IWD, NWN etc.).
I only wish that the level cap was higher in ToEE.

So yeah, it is a fun game. As long as you don't mind slow paced turn base combat.

I think it is a brilliant dungeon crawling turn-based system with a 'lite' story in there for giggles.

Typical Troika - flawed brilliance.

In term of gameplay, I think the combat system of ToEE did great job of replicating the Pen and Paper DnD experience (better the other DnD cRPG that I have played: BG, IWD, NWN etc.).

If only it was as good as those games.

Not that it's bad mind you, but BG and IWD are hard to top when it comes to D&D crpgs.

@leth: Circle of Eight mod actually increases the level cap to 20 and you can actually reach something like ~lvl 16 by the end of the game, I've heard.. :)

@JDR13: Yeah, infinity engine works like a charm and AD&D rules are better than D&D 3E imo...

How shallow the story is? Are all the character interaction skills totally useless as in IWD (Diplomacy, intimidate, pick pockets etc)?

And little advices on character builds? Which classes work in ToEE and which one don't?

The problem with ToEE is that it was created and marketed as an RPG. What it really wants to be is a tactical combat scenario engine. Had it shipped with map creation tools, people would still be playing it today.

Great, I think I start a new game this weekend. :)

I've tried to play TOEE many times. The combat engine is awesome and the graphics are lovely. The town of Homlet puts me to sleep every time.

I had a blast with ToEE when it was released. It was cool to finally play a modern D&D crpg that didn't take place in a Forgotten Realms setting.

Any time I read "Homlet" I must think of "Hamlet".

Just restarted this (after years) with the latest Co8 patches and new content. I'm running it under windows 7 64-bit…it still crashes now and then, especially if I try to save in combat (I have a life and some combats take a long time!). I have also come to the conclusion that the randome number generator ain't so random - supposedly they use the marsenne twister which improves over the original one...the amount of low rolls I get is def biased low and its pissing me off hugely. I would prefer a mod that nudges numbers up in general. I have played table top DnD for years and I have never seen such consistently bad rolls - it sucks the enjoyment out of the game. Still, I do enjoy the combat/tactical engine.

Does anyone else have performance issues during combat on Win7 64-bit? Scrolling the screen can really become jumpy etc and everything slows dpwn. I have a high-end gfx card, 4GB of memory and Core2Duo 2.6 - so not the most current, but should me more than up to the job. I'm running the TOEE FX front end as 'administrator' (otherwise it fails), but not running it under any kind of emulation.

I think I remember having heard that a patch installed a different random generator ...

Or was it a different game ?

Alrik did u hit ur head recently? I seriously worry about your health...

Does anyone else have performance issues during combat on Win7 64-bit?

I was wondering what OS you were using (32 or 64), the forums hacking/restore wiped out my inquiry. The issues for me kept stacking up in win7x64 to the point it was unplayable. Slow cursor/no cursor, crashing like crazy, slowdown & lockups in combat, you name it. It would run ok for a little while, then take a dive. I finally just had to take the path of least resistance and install it on ye olde xp machine that I use for older games. It just wasnt worth fighting anymore!

PS- I had Co8 patching all done as well, didnt seem to help.

Alrik did u hit ur head recently? I seriously worry about your health…

No. It's just that sometimes I feel dizzy, because I'm extremely sensitive towards local climate changes.

Plus, when I write late the evening (localtime), my brain might not function properly due to tiredness, too. ;)

Besides, now I know why the name of Cuthbert was so familiar to me ... I recently rote an e-mail to a *real* Mr. Cuthbert, because I had a few questions regarding a job application.

I never received any answer, though.

I was wondering what OS you were using (32 or 64), the forums hacking/restore wiped out my inquiry. The issues for me kept stacking up in win7x64 to the point it was unplayable. Slow cursor/no cursor, crashing like crazy, slowdown & lockups in combat, you name it. It would run ok for a little while, then take a dive. I finally just had to take the path of least resistance and install it on ye olde xp machine that I use for older games. It just wasnt worth fighting anymore!

PS- I had Co8 patching all done as well, didnt seem to help.

I'm running in on win7 x64, but it's not really 'happy'. I find that everything is fine until I enter combat or have a lot of animations (like spell effects) active - then it starts to sputter and slow down. I have had crashes when I saved during combat, and when leaving an existing map/region. I just make sure that I save frequently and occasionally quit and restart - that seems to have done the trick so far. I turned off UAC (which I think may have caused some issues) and it does seem better…but turning that off/on requires a reboot, which is painful. so basically, I installed ToEE, patch 1, patch 2, Co8 (latest), turned off UAC and do not run it as admin or under any kind of emulation. I still have my virus checker running though, so I could probably turn that off too to improve stability.

I still have XP somewhere, but my old disk died and so far win7 has been pretty good (certainly better than vista) at running older games…may dig it out again tho.

I just format and reinstall Windows on my system and tried to run ToEE on it and it shows the same behavior as before. Anyone here have an idea of what will prevent the game from launch. I have the latest drivers, latest DirectX, and others, and yet the game does not give me any errors that I do not know what happens.

Baldur's Gate or IWD ported to this engine would be awesome. I know the graphics are certainly compatible, as both games use pre-rendered backgrounds and the same camera angle.

The main bottlenecks are probably the modding tools, as it might not be possible to create new locations from scratch, or port all the monsters, spells and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom