Dragon Age 2 - Hightown Update, Video Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Dragon Age 2 site has been updated with Hightown, the upmarket area of Kirkwall:
Everyone who is anyone in Kirkwall lives in Hightown, and they give little thought to what goes on in Lowtown other than to complain when the wind drags up the stench from its foundries or ancient mines. People in Hightown feel safe, not because the city's walls are impregnable, but because an invader would need to scale the stairs from Lowtown in order to reach them. Many bloody battles have been fought on those narrow stairs, and in several wars Hightown has held out for months after Lowtown was taken. The wealthy often forget, however, that those stairs are also their only escape.
...and GameSpot UK has a video interview with Associate Producer Heather Rabatich. The conversation covers the standard ground of the changes they've made to combat and dialogue but her responses are refreshingly off the cuff.
More information.

Regarding a snip from the interview and at the risk of (perhaps again) sounding like a cantancerous, whiny zealot:

I rather dislike the fact that the dialogue system has been overhauled. Accidentally hitting on Zevram, irritating Wynne or getting annoyed by Sten was part of the charm of the first game. Where's the fun in facing a character and hitting the 'flirt' option when you want to get it on? Relationships are fickle and unpredictable. They need work. Or a big wad of cash.

Last edited:
Regarding a snip from the interview and at the risk of (perhaps again) sounding like a cantancerous, whiny zealot:

I rather dislike the fact that the dialogue system has been overhauled. Accidentally hitting on Zevram, irritating Wynne or getting annoyed by Sten was part of the charm of the first game. Where's the fun in facing a character and hitting the 'flirt' option when you want to get it on? Relationships are fickle and unpredictable. They need work. Or a big wad of cash.
I completely agree. I want to choose a text to say, and face the consequences. I don't want to choose some kind of symbol, which results in a text I might never had chosen knowingly.

"Hit the flirt button and something awesome happens".

This would be a lot easier if she wasn't attractive.

The end was funny..it seemed like she was going to forget to mention consoles.

I completely agree. I want to choose a text to say, and face the consequences. I don't want to choose some kind of symbol, which results in a text I might never had chosen knowingly.

I like it the other way. I don't want to pick a text, then hear my character say those exact words. I'd just end up skipping over most of it, since I already know exactly what I'm about to say. I like being somewhat surprised by what comes out of my mouth.

Back
Top Bottom