Arcanum - Aged Well @ Bitmob

In rt combat your character gets a lot of shots before the enemy reaches you. I never counted, but it could easily be 10 to 15 shots using a revolver that I got from the doc. Using slower guns of course slows this down, but not as much as switching to TB mode would. In tb combat you may have 3 or 4 shots and then you're face to face with the enemy.

That only confirms that some aspects of combat are indeed broken. There should be no difference in how many shots you can get off in real-time vs turn-based.

Broken almost definitely. Took me awhile to figure out the best combination of TB with RT.

In the end though, I'll take broken any day of the week vs unplayable. For me it was a little more challenging tactically. As a wizard, I found myself a little bored. I only really needed one spell Tempus Fugit. That spell was way overpowered.

My second run through as a gunslinger was a lot more fun. Only thing I really grumbled about was storing all that stuff. I had a storage bin in the main city where I put all of my stuff. NOT THE TRASHBINS :). I learned the hard way that Troika actually programmed in there that the trash bins would be emptied. Annoyed the heck out of me the first time I found out, but it was such a cool little feature that added a bit of realism to the game. Don't see too many games like that that go into such detail.

In any event, this is Troika we are talking about and none of their games were totally without bugs (some great patches now take care of a lot of them). If you are willing to try out different things and overlook some of the obvious mistakes then playing a gunslinger is one heck of a ride.

That only confirms that some aspects of combat are indeed broken. There should be no difference in how many shots you can get off in real-time vs turn-based.

Tell that to Fallout 3! ;)

I've heard this before about guns in Arcanum and it's not exactly correct. If you use turn-based mode with a gun slinger then yes, you are in for a world of pain. But if you start out in turnbased and then switch to real-time you will find battles much more managable.

Yes but if a game offers 2 modes and one method of combat only works in one of those modes it means it's still broken.

I hated RT in Arcanum.
Not that TB is a whole lot better but it's my preferred way of playing.

Bah, didn't read the replies just above me, basically ditto.

But yeah, possibly the worst thing in Arcanum was the combat system.

That's my main complaint, Arcanum is far too biased towards magic use. Trying to play a gun-slinging techie seems at least 2-3X harder than playing a mage.

I remember I wanted to play it without having to kill anyone at all ... ;)

That's my main complaint, Arcanum is far too biased towards magic use. Trying to play a gun-slinging techie seems at least 2-3X harder than playing a mage.

I remember I wanted to play it without having to kill anyone at all … ;)

I remember when someone figured out how to do that in Ultima Underworld. His description was really funny.

Oh and if you play Arcanum as a strong melee guy the combat is trivial. A friend did that and had maxed out very early in the game because of how it awards XP to the one who does the most damage (IIRC).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom