Numenera - Back on Kickstarter

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Monte Cook's Numenera is back on Kickstarter, this time you can get yourself a deluxe boxed version of the game rules, which are behind Torment: Tides of Numenera.

The Kickstarter has already been funded, but there are still 16 days to go if you want to join the crowd and help reach more stretch goals.

At Monte Cook Games, we love Numenera and we love Numenera fans. We want to give them the best, coolest, most wonderful products that we can create.

Now that the game has been out well over a year, won many awards, and garnered an audience of enthusiastic fans, we'd like to do something special--but only if it's something that you'd like too. Our idea is to create a boxed set, like the RPG boxed sets of our youth, for this game. Only we'd love to make it absolutely beautiful and crammed full of all the coolest extra content we can come up with: character sheets, XP cards, and even a gorgeous cloth version of the poster map! With your help, we’re going to make it a reality. If this sounds cool to you, pledge now: This is a short Kickstarter, and once it’s over there is likely to never be another opportunity to get Numenera in a boxed edition!

(Already own Numenera? Don't worry--we've got some things that will interest you as well as those new to the game.)
More information.

Hmm, I wonder if these guys having cash flow issues? This is the second time they've gone back to the well.

Numenera is one of the worst systems I have ever played, it is simply ridiculous. The guys I knew who were interested in it in the beginning have all dropped it very quickly. What a terrible idea it was to drop any sort of depth to the gameplay system, and the "device" system was just gimmicky and random. You always do the same damage, I mean Côme on.

We're back to Cthulhu and GURPS. Those newfangled systems that are all ridiculously streamlined to bring casuals in simply end up interesting no one. Out of all of these I have tried only D&D Next succeeded, because it actually respected the intelligence of its fanbase.

Numenera is one of the worst systems I have ever played, it is simply ridiculous. The guys I knew who were interested in it in the beginning have all dropped it very quickly. What a terrible idea it was to drop any sort of depth to the gameplay system, and the "device" system was just gimmicky and random. You always do the same damage, I mean Côme on.

We're back to Cthulhu and GURPS. Those newfangled systems that are all ridiculously streamlined to bring casuals in simply end up interesting no one. Out of all of these I have tried only D&D Next succeeded, because it actually respected the intelligence of its fanbase.

Wow. Does this meant that torment 2 will be bad?

Wow. Does this meant that torment 2 will be bad?

I had the same concern, but thankfully it looks like they're modifying it.

I have the opposite feeling. To me it is best system yet.
But I can understand why a fan of GURPS would find Numenera bad.

I consider GURPS a bad system for people that just like to crunch numbers instead of roleplay.

I have the opposite feeling. To me it is best system yet.
But I can understand why a fan of GURPS would find Numenera bad.

I consider GURPS a bad system for people that just like to crunch numbers instead of roleplay.

I have to completely disagree with this. I never saw another system that got anywhere close to the limitless freedom to play however you want to play that GURPS entails and to truly define and train a character just to your liking, while not making something so complex that it is slow and tedious. I can make someone who has bagpipes as a skill and somehow make it relevant and useful to a roleplaying experience, how incredible is that? And the number crunching and rules are all very logically laid out and simple.

The approach of Numenera is basically to strip all the rules and stats it can get away with to let you tell a story by your actions. The problem with this is that constraints and subtleties are actually important to the roleplaying experience and help to define something that is intangible and resides entirely in the player's imaginations.

No they are not. YOu don't need numbers to roleplay. Numenera leaves just enough so you can advance you character without needing to number crunch like in D&D or GURPS.

I have to disagree here. You need definite elements and some randomness to make the world more believable and to create an exacting and pleasant challenge. A lot of people say that pen and paper RPGs are akin to a collaborative storytelling experience but while I think it is partly true reality is not as lofty as that. When you have so few mathematical ways to define and assert what kind of character you want to create your avatar and the interactions you have have within the game world are not as well defined or compelling.

Just to be clear, this really has nothing to do with the CRPG Torment: Tides of N.....!!

It has, because Humanity has risen! is spreading false propaganda that based on Numenera system TToN is somehow going to be a bad. Only thing TToN are going to be making different is adding some more active skills to some Focuses that mostly give passive bonuses in pen&paper version (because in pen&paper players are encouraged to come up with their own active abilities on round by round basis and game cannot of course match that)

Back
Top Bottom