Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear - Expansion Announced

Yeah I'll play this. I liked the ease of the EE versions, didn't particularly like the new characters though. I'd rather they did something totally new.

My main problem is that the PC is surely going to be massively overpowered in BGII with all this new XP?

For people who didn't watch the twitch (posted earlier) someone on the official forum made a list of what was shown (new features and stuff).

I am rather surprised by some of the change/improvements (mostly all the race/class/skill/stuff checks, but the AI change too). It might be indicative of the path they wish to follow in the future game.

My main problem is that the PC is surely going to be massively overpowered in BGII with all this new XP?

That's a good point. It should be interesting to see what Beamdog does to address that potential issue.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that part or all of your XP from SoD isn't going to carry over into BGII. They could use the excuse that being captured and tortured by Irenicus drained a portion of your strength.

That's a good point. It should be interesting to see what Beamdog does to address that potential issue.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that part or all of your XP from SoD isn't going to carry over into BGII. They could use the excuse that being captured and tortured by Irenicus drained a portion of your strength.

Both BG1 and 2 are going to be patched when the expac release to get the new Shaman class, new UI and other improvements/stuff from the expac. Seems like the dev said that BG2 is going to be patched to accommodate higher level starting characters as well (can't find a quote right now though), the rest of the game already has level scaling.

I haven't touched the BG games since they came out. I'm looking forward to a replay, with this new episode in between.

There is another issue related to the XP balancing: Even if they rebalance the start of BG2, what do they do with NPCs? Currently, NPCs can join at various "XP intervals" (161.000xp, 450.000xp etc), but the higher level versions are usually rubbish, because they've got a bunch of weapon proficiencies that make no sense.

In fact, it's always a goal for me to get my party together before any of them end up in the 2nd bracket, because otherwise I'll have to dig up 'Keeper and change their stats.

Yeah that's a good point. It would better if they could change it so that you could skill party members up from scratch (or from level 11) when you hire them. Otherwise, like you say, they can join your party with a load of skills that you just don't want. It was a small problem on BGII, slightly more so if you imported a higher level character from BG, but all the new XP will make it more so.

Be interesting to see how they balance this. Its good to hear that they're going to try and tackle it (thanks Azarhal). It's difficult though, you need to do more than beef up enemy HP to take account of higher PC levels….

Beamdog have a digital magazine now and it's free (~quarterly release). It's called The Familiar (their should be a web version ~next week according to Amber Scott in the forums).

The first issue contains a short story about a new companion in Siege of Dragonspear, more information on Beamdog and other stuff. The second issue will be in late March..for secret reasons (I'll guess Siege of Dragonspear release).

I'm off to read it, I'll update the post if there is some more Siege of Dragonspear info.

edit
I learned something: Baldur's Gate city ground was a photograph of coffee beans. lol. There is a nice image per image showing how they improved that for Siege of Dragonspear.

There is a bunch of concept arts vs final look for zones in SoD too. They also talk about the technical changes they had to do to improve the UI.

There is stuff about cRPG renaissance which include "interviews" with Dan Tudge (N-Space/Sword Coast Legend), Feargus (Obsidian/Pillars of Eternity) and Swen (Larian/Divinity Original Sin) and the Beamdog guys of course.

Last edited:
This makes me want to give it another go...anyone know the best place for mods?
Maybe open a new thread about best ones available. There were a LOT of them, if I remember right.

Beamdog have a digital magazine now and it's free (~quarterly release). It's called The Familiar (their should be a web version ~next week according to Amber Scott in the forums).

The first issue contains a short story about a new companion in Siege of Dragonspear, more information on Beamdog and other stuff. The second issue will be in late March..for secret reasons (I'll guess Siege of Dragonspear release).

I'm off to read it, I'll update the post if there is some more Siege of Dragonspear info.

edit
I learned something: Baldur's Gate city ground was a photograph of coffee beans. lol. There is a nice image per image showing how they improved that for Siege of Dragonspear.

There is a bunch of concept arts vs final look for zones in SoD too. They also talk about the technical changes they had to do to improve the UI.

There is stuff about cRPG renaissance which include "interviews" with Dan Tudge (N-Space/Sword Coast Legend), Feargus (Obsidian/Pillars of Eternity) and Swen (Larian/Divinity Original Sin) and the Beamdog guys of course.

Thanks for the heads up, sounds quite an interesting read. Am downloading it now

A PC version of the The Familiar! magazine will also be released soon
We're working on a browser version. It should be live next week, so I'll post an update when that happens.

There is another issue related to the XP balancing: Even if they rebalance the start of BG2, what do they do with NPCs? Currently, NPCs can join at various "XP intervals" (161.000xp, 450.000xp etc), but the higher level versions are usually rubbish, because they've got a bunch of weapon proficiencies that make no sense.

In fact, it's always a goal for me to get my party together before any of them end up in the 2nd bracket, because otherwise I'll have to dig up 'Keeper and change their stats.

I'm been looking at the SoD thread on the official forums and with the XP cap at level 12 for thieves it would mean the XP for SoD is capped somewhere between 440k and 659k XP, but the way the experience tables worked back in the days, that's a +1 or +2 level difference only. I'm starting to think they won't even bother adjusting anything.

Old max level start in BG2 vs SoD technical level start in BG2
Paladin/Ranger 8 vs 9
Fighter/Barbarian 8 vs 9/10 (10 is at 500k)
Cleric/Monk 8 vs 9/10 (10 is at 450k)
Druid 10 vs 12
Mages 9 vs 11
Thieves/Bards 10 vs 12

Thanks Azarhal - useful info.

I still think it could be a bit of a problem, both in terms of getting characters with skills too early and also getting access to higher level combat (whirlwind attack etc) a bit too early.

I'm probably just grumbling a bit because the opening of BGII, where you're wandering around Athkatla picking up weird and diverse quests, is probably my favorite role playing experience in pretty much any game. I tend to start a new character in BGII rather than importing a BG character so that it's still at that D&D sweet spot in terms of mid-level combat.

I'll probably do the same here - pick up Dragonspear and enjoy it (hopefully) as a standalone adventure, but not include it in complete run-throughs.

I've only skimmed the new info and had a quick look at the videos they've released, but it is looking good. I look forward to hearing about their plans for BGIII (*ahem!!!*)
or whatever it is.

I still think it could be a bit of a problem, both in terms of getting characters with skills too early and also getting access to higher level combat (whirlwind attack etc) a bit too early.

That was already broken when ToB released. Pre-TOB, I always reached the original BG2 XP cap in Act 2 by going around doing as much stuff as possible, with ToB that means I continued to get XP... Starting with 1.5 more level isn't going to change much to that.

Yup. Fair point! :)

All this talk of BG got me nostalgic. So I picked up the BGEE today. If I make it through that will get Siege and BGEE2. Starting it up was amazed how quickly all my old memories came right back to me. Felt like second nature to play (probably because I played it like a dozen times when I was younger).

I did decide to put all my Skyrim screen-shot skills to good use though:

24984146736_c83c3e5381_o.png

24642848159_3a34fd3224_o.png

Which became in BG:

24383634273_a91e2b87b2_o.jpg

Although I am debating Ranger Stalker or Beastmaster to Druid Werewolf.

Back
Top Bottom