Elder Scrolls VI - Wish List @ PC Gamer

Hmmm, my number one wish is for them not to allow anything, except new lore, to escape from ESO into TES.

TES isn't a survival game, so I don't want to see those aspects unless it is totally optional. To me this belongs to the modders.

Co-op, nope.

Spellmaker, yes!

Carriages, boats, air balloons-hell yes! I'd like to see teleportation too offered by the mages guild for a fairly steep fee unless you're a member of rank. Say a novice would get a 10% discount, an apprentice 25%, a journeyman 50%, etc.

Missing spellcrafting is probably the reason why I could never get into Skyrim after two attempts. It's probably the one single aspect that made me love all the previous games from Arena to Oblivion.

After reading all the comments and nodding in agreement 99% of the time, I can't help noting that if we players see it so clearly what could be improved, why on Earth can they not? Or is it what Drithius says, why bother when you sell 20 mil copies anyways? Can they have lost passion for their work so much? (Oblivion, for me, was proof of that really, but at first I thouht Skyrim is again a work of creative imagination)

Seeing your list, DArtagnan, I'd make you Lead Designer of the next Elder Scrolls right away if I could.

After reading all the comments and nodding in agreement 99% of the time, I can't help noting that if we players see it so clearly what could be improved, why on Earth can they not?

Seeing your list, DArtagnan, I'd make you Lead Designer of the next Elder Scrolls right away if I could.

Pretty simple really. We're NOT representative of the average gamer. We're probably about 20 years older on average, and we want different things. Not that "we", as in the members of the Watch, always agree. But I agree alot more here than on any other forum I've ever been when it comes to likes and dislikes in computer games in general, and CRPG's especially.

Nice lists, folks! I was pleasantly surprised by the thoughtful and creative PCGamer list, except for Survival mode which, for me, adds nothing but tedium.

My questions were rhetoric, really. I always wonder if the games I played when I was a kid were equally crappy for the most part and only nostalgia makes them seem otherwise, or that they were indeed better. Surely, since in those days games were not so much products but more uhm, experiments and art - for the lack of a better word -, they catered to a different kind of audience.

And yet, as someone who likes to do things passionately it always surprises me to find that others are not like that. Even in work that I hate, I want to excell, or at least do something valuable.

There was a similar list on PCGamer on Borderlands 2 that was equally interesting and well-done.

Dart and Joxer pretty much nailet it in my book. If I have to pick one it's the damn level scaling. I think my loathing of level scaling is on par with Joxers opinion on respawns.
Level scaling is the single worst feature ever introduced to the RPG genre.

My questions were rhetoric, really. I always wonder if the games I played when I was a kid were equally crappy for the most part and only nostalgia makes them seem otherwise, or that they were indeed better. Surely, since in those days games were not so much products but more uhm, experiments and art - for the lack of a better word -, they catered to a different kind of audience.

As far as I'm aware, there have always been great games and there have always been crappy games. Pacman wasn't a crappy game. Donkey Kong and then Mario Brothers weren't crappy games, Doom and Tomb Raider weren't crappy games. But it depends what you played in order to make the comparison.

The nostalgia aspect of your brain only lets you remember the games you either really loved or really hated. Nostalgia is brain-memory as opposed to written history. For example, my memory of a great game would be Worms, but an internet search for 'great' games from that era would be 'Myst', even though I've never played it. My memory has a 'nostalgic' memory for Worms, but also an academic knowledge of Myst.

What 'appears' to be the issue with modern games is that the customer simply doesn't have the 'variety' of games to choose from because most of the big budget games are all some variant of the same First Person(ish) Adventure involving high death tolls and AI companions all with very similar objectives and 'rewards'.

You think how different Worms was to Civilisation to Doom to Mortal Kombat to Mario to OddWorld. When people look back on this particular era, will it have the same sense of 'variety'? To our eyes in the here and now, no it wont, but to future eyes they'll be picking out the best of the varieties - they'll sit around and say "Angry Birds to Minecraft to Stanley Parable to Halo (insert number) to Skylanders to GTA V" etc etc.

All the games that copy-cat with the worst of the least popular mechanics, AI and rewards will get soon forgotten.

But what makes our current era 'feel' that bit extra lacklustre is that all the copy-cat weak-ass games are the ones getting the $toomany$ production values while many genuine gems are still getting by on 'normal' budgets. And it's the big budget fails which get stuffed in our face from their big budget marketing campaigns - which wasn't necessarily the case not so long ago.

Basically, when I was a kid, you 'expected' crappy games along with the gems, but when people start spending $rediculous$ amounts on games - and then still delivering crap - that's the modern difference.

The target audience for computer games has changed a lot since "back in the day" as well. In the 80s and 90s, only a certain type of person even owned a computer. Nowadays, computer ownership isn't much different from console ownership. Just about anyone who wants one can get either.

The target audience for computer games has changed a lot since "back in the day" as well. In the 80s and 90s, only a certain type of person even owned a computer. Nowadays, computer ownership isn't much different from console ownership. Just about anyone who wants one can get either.

This does seem to be a common point-post on these boards. And I think it relates to the fact that, traditionally, PC games tended to be more involved and detailed whereas console games tended to be more 'direct' in their approach.

The current desire to make PC games 'more consoley' is certainly one of the biggest causes of the "what's going on with all these crappy PC games" complaints. In these cases the games might not be objectively crappy, it's just that they don't meet the 'old school' definition of the traditional difference between a PC game and a console game.

Which I think is a very key issue.

If you meant a different kind of demographic issue then you'll have to explain further because I'm not sure what you mean if it's not the one I mention.

The current desire to make PC games 'more consoley' is certainly one of the biggest causes of the "what's going on with all these crappy PC games" complaints. In these cases the games might not be objectively crappy, it's just that they don't meet the 'old school' definition of the traditional difference between a PC game and a console game.
If you're talking about AAA games, the reason the PC version of them is consoley is because they sell only ~10% of their copies for the PC, so there's not much financial reason for them to spend big bucks making the game more "suited" to the PC.

If you meant a different kind of demographic issue then you'll have to explain further because I'm not sure what you mean if it's not the one I mention.
I did mean demographic issues. The average type of person who owned a computer in the 80s and most of the 90s was extremely different from the situation now. Only in the mid to late 90s did it begin changing.

I did mean demographic issues. The average type of person who owned a computer in the 80s and most of the 90s was extremely different from the situation now. Only in the mid to late 90s did it begin changing.

The mid to late nineties was 20 years ago. I'm completely lost now. I feel sure the guy I was quoting and responding to on the topic of nostalgia wasn't referring to solely the PC games of the late 80s... that would be absurd. No matter how good some of those games were, they were so lacking in graphics that even a very determined modern gamer couldn't even bare to look at them. A modern gamer can still play Worms without any graphical vomiting though.

So... I'm not really sure why you think the question "is it just nostalgia or were games better (artistically) in the past" would really honestly relate to the late 80s? Honestly, does 'anyone' still play late 80s PC games? Like they can Worms or Diablo II or whatever other old games people still play with a relish?

The design team of the series is composed with older people. So far, they've managed to insulate themselves from unwished players'inputs so...

No co-op, those who wants it have TESO now

Actually a reason they may be even less likely to put in co-op in the next Fallout and TES installments - to maintain distinction between product lines.

Hehe, that's heartwarming ;)

If you can give me unlimited funds and make sure no suits are breathing down my neck, I'll give you a dream come true ;)

The mid to late nineties was 20 years ago. I'm completely lost now. I feel sure the guy I was quoting and responding to on the topic of nostalgia wasn't referring to solely the PC games of the late 80s… that would be absurd. No matter how good some of those games were, they were so lacking in graphics that even a very determined modern gamer couldn't even bare to look at them. A modern gamer can still play Worms without any graphical vomiting though.

So… I'm not really sure why you think the question "is it just nostalgia or were games better (artistically) in the past" would really honestly relate to the late 80s? Honestly, does 'anyone' still play late 80s PC games? Like they can Worms or Diablo II or whatever other old games people still play with a relish?
First of all, no clue why you're fixated on the 80s in this reply, I believe everything I said covered both the 80s and 90s. Secondly, yes, many people still play games from the 80s. Wasteland 1 just got released on Steam. Various other 80s games get discussed regularly on sites such as this - Ultima, M&M, Wizardry, Bard's Tale, I could go on and on.

Here we go again...

Dude, I'm trying to agree with you, yes, the demographics (or target audience) or whatever has changed since 1981, that was a crazy long time ago. Perhaps you can help prevent these post-nonsenses by explaining in more detail what:

means. There's nothing in this post that actually explains what you mean. Hence, because it appeared like this post was attempting to talk to me, I assumed you wanted a discussion with me. I'm trying to agree with you, but it seems anything I say in agreement is being met with argumentative "I didn't say that" usual usual usual. Dude, why don't you just explain 'exactly' what it is this post I quoted actually means - cos I'm REAL FED UP guessing...

I figured it was pretty obvious what it means. People who owned computers in the 80s and 90s were generally far more educated and affluent, and thus had different taste in games. I'm not sure what it is you don't understand?

Ooooooh, lol.

That is basically what I was saying in my first reply that you objected to so heavily. Pc games tended to me more detailed and involved where as console games tended to be more direct.

For example:

Console football games would involve characters running around a football pitch in some lame attempt to simulate actually playing football, where as PC football games tended to be called 'Manager' and you didn't actually see any footballers kicking a football around during the game.

I would argue that was still the case though - except for (as also mentioned in my post) many of these PC games are now trying to sell themselves as console games, thereby 'dumbing them down'.

If you ask me, games like Diablo or Final Fantasy probably belong on consoles more than they do on PCs in this regard.

As regards 'affluent' (as opposed to the above discussed 'educated') then affluence has changed a GREAT DEAL since 1981. Economic deregulation has created countless uneducated millionaires while significantly reducing the affluence of the average middle classes - any societal biases this might bring into a discussion such as this may well be valid, but an uneducated affluent person may well still much prefer their console games anyway, and still wouldn't be a target audience or purchaser of a PC Game, but the shrinking affluence of the average middle class would result in less visible demand for high priced quality PC Games.

Back
Top Bottom