Skyrim - Creation Kit and High Res Pack Texture Released

After fighting with steam for a couple of hours I managed to buy it…. sometimes I wounder why I even bother….. still I was curious what it'd look like and it has been getting a lot of good reviews and nods even from here.

No crashes or anything. Still dissapointed with how the game looks on highest setting though. I can only imagine how bad it looked before the high-res texture pack.

Gameplay is pretty bad so far too. I don't have much of a motivation to go on playing after just a few hours. But I guess I shouldn't give up, it gets better right?

If this looks bad, I wonder what looks good to you...stick to your guns though.

If you like open world, sandbox CRPGs that have no forced plot then it is a awesome game. If you need to be hand held in your CRPG then you are setting yourself up to be frustrated. Also use 3rd person for combat MUCH better experience.

I do like open world sandbox games, the problem is more struggling with controls and an overall sluggishness, inspite of having good frames per second. Maybe it is some kind of bug I do not know.

If this looks bad, I wonder what looks good to you…stick to your guns though.

Well, if you re-read what I wrote I was dissapointed with how it looked, it is not the same as looking bad, I have not tried it with low-res textures and I am not intending to either. But even with the high-res path I'm seeing some low-res textures and stuffs like that, so that's why I imagine it'd look bad with half the resolution of what I have now.

It was probably a bad idea to play TW2 on highest resolution with ultra sampling, before starting skyrim, if not for that I would probably be less underwhelmed. But I haven't gotten the WOW this is so beautiful feeling that I got playing oblivion. I'm dissapointed with the tree's and flora and fauna, I suppose speedtree still does somethings better than betheshda developers that might be it. Also I'm missing the view of looking out over the city in Oblivion, from far far way with the sun setting, and the shining white towers… such a things it might come, but it is not there now. I've complained a lot about Oblivion in the past, but aside from the characters ( especially faces which are still horrible ) I always praised the graphics.

I do like open world sandbox games, the problem is more struggling with controls and an overall sluggishness, inspite of having good frames per second. Maybe it is some kind of bug I do not know.

Well, if you re-read what I wrote I was dissapointed with how it looked, it is not the same as looking bad, I have not tried it with low-res textures and I am not intending to either. But even with the high-res path I'm seeing some low-res textures and stuffs like that, so that's why I imagine it'd look bad with half the resolution of what I have now.

It was probably a bad idea to play TW2 on highest resolution with ultra sampling, before starting skyrim, if not for that I would probably be less underwhelmed. But I haven't gotten the WOW this is so beautiful feeling that I got playing oblivion. I'm dissapointed with the tree's and flora and fauna, I suppose speedtree still does somethings better than betheshda developers that might be it. Also I'm missing the view of looking out over the city in Oblivion, from far far way with the sun setting, and the shining white towers… such a things it might come, but it is not there now. I've complained a lot about Oblivion in the past, but aside from the characters ( especially faces which are still horrible ) I always praised the graphics.

I was also disappointed with the hi-res pack. Mainly the fact that you can see the textures load about 10 feet in front of you. Go with user made mods and the nvidia tweak guide.

There are better tree mods and also flora mods, better grass and pretty much anything else your looking for. The nvidia tweaks are mostly ini. tweaks so they will work on ati cards as well. The tweaks will increase draw distance significantly among other things.

I haven't had any problems frame rate wise with the mods or the nivdia tweaks. I'm running an i7 clocked at 4.8 ghz, 8 GB ram @2133 and 2 overclocked 480gtx's in sli though so it will depend on your hardware.

As someone else posted combat is better in 3rd person except for bows they work better in first person. There is a hot key to switch between the 2. Even still the combat will never be great imo. But when has elder scrolls ever had great combat.

The official hi res texture pack is designed to provide a very slight improvement in texture quality with almost zero reduction in frame rate.

There are other texture packs available from modders that are a bit more drastic, if not always the most appropriate for the setting.

Vurt's Flora overhaul is really good, and I'm sure there will be many more texture replacement mods.

In my case as I'm playing on a laptop, I have no plans to install a demanding third party texture pack that might reduce my framerate in the way that Qarl's did for Oblivion.

I have not tried it with low-res textures and I am not intending to either. But even with the high-res path I'm seeing some low-res textures and stuffs like that, so that's why I imagine it'd look bad with half the resolution of what I have now.

The official hi-res pack replaces around 30-40% of the textures only, mostly clothing and wood (furniture etc), most of the flora is left untouched for example.

Like with all their games, it looks great under the right circumstances, but absolutely not all the time.

Last edited:

Must be. I have an X2-5000 cpu with 2gig of ram and it runs perfectly for me. The only modern piece of equipment i have is the GPU a HD6850.

Also I'm missing the view of looking out over the city in Oblivion, from far far way with the sun setting, and the shining white towers… such a things it might come, but it is not there now. I've complained a lot about Oblivion in the past, but aside from the characters ( especially faces which are still horrible ) I always praised the graphics.

If you want a vista to behold try climbing up to the top of the throat of the world and looking down as the land sprawls out beneath you. Never has a game captured the feeling of climbing a mountain so well.

Oblivion vs Skyrim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9jE_RjweUk

Although, as my spouse keeps saying "it's so grey". So if you want a colorful and more vibrant scenery, I'd go with KoA. Personally, I prefer the look of Skyrim, even over the generic look of Oblivion.

It is indeed pretty grey... the wasteland of Fallout 3 had more varied color than this :D

I've downloaded a couple mods to help with graphics, but the color palette remains pretty bland.

There are several mods that will add some color such as the fxaa post processing and ebb series mods.

If you like open world, sandbox CRPGs that have no forced plot then it is a awesome game. If you need to be hand held in your CRPG then you are setting yourself up to be frustrated. Also use 3rd person for combat MUCH better experience.

Well I like both before someone says story is not important. It is. Still I would recommend it better if Bethesda could ever create endgame content. It sucks being on the top with nothing else to do.

@vurt

That's nice, although surprisingly (well not really, sadly) the author isn't very clear about what other mods and their versions it depends on.

Why would you asume it's dependant on other mods in the first place?

Well I like both before someone says story is not important. It is. Still I would recommend it better if Bethesda could ever create endgame content. It sucks being on the top with nothing else to do.

Well the factions have endless radient quests after their main quest line is completed (I am thinking Blades, Thieves, and the Dark Bros). Better than nothing, but pretty basic.

Why would you asume it's dependant on other mods in the first place?

Why would you assume it doesn't depend on the ENB series when it refers to the ENB series in the name and descrpition? :rolleyes:

"Cinematic Lighting ENB - CLENB - by HD6"
and
"Additions and Tweaks to ENB v0102"

Rather confusing. As usual, most of the ES series mods are poorly documented and described. Not to mention getting a set of mods that play well together that weren't engineered to necessarily work together can be a major headache. More trouble than they're worth for me. I'll pick one or 2 isolated ones that are likely not to interfere with each other, and that's it. Heck, even the simplest non-interfering mods, can break stuff. Layers of visual mods, out of the question… :/

Sigh...... it is great that people make these mods. But it just takes forever until you can find the right combination and start playing....

It does refer the the ENB series in the name, right?

"Additions and Tweaks to ENB v0102"

Rather confusing. As usual, most of the ES series mods are poorly documented and described. Not to mention getting a set of mods that play well together that weren't engineered to necessarily work together can be a major headache. More trouble than their worth for me. I'll pick one or 2 isolated ones that are likely not to interfere with each other, and that's its. Heck even the simplest mods, can break stuff. Layers of visual mods, out of the question… :/

Yeah it's based on ENB v0102, that's all there is to it. The only thing that couldnt work with it are other mods that makes use of ENB, but it wouldnt break anything it would just overwrite the files. When it comes to conflicts visual mods are very easy to understand, they'll just overwrite each other (same with texture mods). The problematic stuff is mods that makes use of Leveled Lists - mods that contains loot for example.

Back
Top Bottom