Suggestions for a new PC case.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I'm ready to stop procrastinating and finally put togther my new rig. I've got all the components picked out, but I've decided at the last minute to get a new case as well. I've had a full-tower Antec for the last 6-7 years, but it's starting to look a little beat up and it's missing a drive bay cover.

I want something that's top quality and preferably one that comes with good fans so I don't have to purchase them separately. I'm used to having a full-tower, but I'd settle for a mid-tower if it's roomy enough. I live in a warm climate so air-flow is important.

I've been checking out the Cooler Master HAF series of cases and they look pretty good.

Any suggestions?

My partner runs a Corsair Carbide Series 300R (that came with two built-in fans), but her Radeon R9 270 runs really hot and heats up the room (of course, it might also be the processor)…but the point is, the two extra fans we added on top keep the system cool…and keeps the room nice and hot. ;)

Last edited:
I don't like the current lineup of Coolermaster cases, plain ugly. I've been content with my Corsair 500r. It may have the midtower moniker but it's bigger than some full tower cases. I have a corsair h100i cpu cooler installed on its top but all other fans are stock.

I actually have two Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl. Very happy with them, as they look smooth and they're very quiet. There are no extra fans installed (but room for them at the top and one side I believe), but I've never had the need. I tend to run a single graphics card (right now it's 980 GTX in one of them and 780 GTX in the other), so heat isn't really an issue.

I was overly concerned with these things in the past and had a massive Thermaltake Armor+ full tower. Huge thing with loads of fans, kept everything super cool. However, it also sounded like a dishwasher, so it was actually loud to be rather distracting. The cooling was useful for a brief period where I had Crossfire or SLI (I don't even remember which one it was), but after quite a bit of trouble I abandoned the two-card idea.

Edit: Shouldn't you be looking into an air condition and not a new case if you've got issues with exterior heat affecting the PC?

I actually have two Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl.

I checked it out, but I didn't like the look.

Edit: Shouldn't you be looking into an air condition and not a new case if you've got issues with exterior heat affecting the PC?

I have air conditioning of course. I actually have more of an issue with my PC raising the temp in my room than the temp affecting my PC. That should change with my new system though as the mobo and CPU should be cooler than what I currently have.

Right. Well, most components currently on the market shouldn't cause much of a problem then. Heat is rarely an issue now unless you overclock a lot.

I'm assembling a new rig myself these days, but as I don't have any budget left for it, it's more of theoretical exercise, albeit one that is very fun and dreamy. I'm going for silent and budget-conscious and not too power hungry.

Anyway, Fractal Design's Define R4 Maylander mentioned would currently be my choice as well. The other, similar option I considered is Nanoxia's Deep Silence 5. Both are midi towers with apparently enough room to fit stuff in and hide cables. And yes, both look plain.

Edit: while browsing some more I stumpled upon Silverstone's Fortress FT05 (silent/premium version of their "Raven" series) that looks pretty interesting, but costs more. Need to read up on it and wait for more reviews.

I haven't really researched big towers.

Right now I have a low-cost 8 year old OEM thing that doesn't even have case fans and collects dust like crazy. Compared to that, those silent cases with proper cable management, case fans and dust filters sound like heaven.

Last edited:
JDR13, would you mind listing the components you picked so far? I'm kinda interested. ;)

JDR13, would you mind listing the components you picked so far? I'm kinda interested. ;)

Z97 mobo
i7 4790K
G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 2400 (16GB)
Creative Sound Blaster Zx

I'm keeping my Gigabyte GTX 770 for now, but I'll probably swap it for a GTX 980 early next year or at least before The Witcher 3 is released. :)

*Edit* I wouldn't mind keeping my current sound card too (Sound Blaster X-fi Platinum), but it uses a regular PCI slot, and those seem to be on their way out - many of the newer mobos don't even have them at all.

Last edited:
I didn't think picking out a new case would be difficult, but I'm finding myself torn between Corsair, Cooler Master, and Silverstone's Raven series. :-/

I'm always agonizing over cases. I've tried many from no name brand, to well known, thermaltake,antec,cooler master, to lesser known, mountain mods, to building my own in desks or closets.

Currently I have a cooler master haf xb with a seperate homemade case housing the watercooling components in the next room. Keeps fan noise out off my room and the other room is cooler. It's ok the haf xb looks nice and fits all my components but I'm still not 100% satisfied.

I like the thought of open air cases or plexiglass but I'm never happy with cable routing. It doesn't help that I'm not very artistic at all and what I picture in my head never seems to translate to the end product.

I finally found my case. :)

c70_k_up.png

Corsair Vengeance Series C70

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-c70-mid-tower-gaming-case-gunmetal-black

If I follow that link, the case cost about ~£200. Is it really that good?

It's only $140 here. I can only assume the higher price is because Corsair doesn't have a local distributor in your area.

As far as how good it is, I'll know in a few days. I ordered it yesterday along with my new mobo and RAM. I should receive it by Friday.

It's only $140 here. I can only assume the higher price is because Corsair doesn't have a local distributor in your area.

As far as how good it is, I'll know in a few days. I ordered it yesterday along with my new mobo and RAM. I should receive it by Friday.

Its my bad. £200 is what Corsair is selling it for on their site but I searched on Amazon and its only £90!

Back
Top Bottom